D&D 5E Sage Advice August 17th

Sacrosanct

Legend
goodberry.jpg

Chocolategravy

First Post
The more I see of Sage Advice, the less I agree with it.

Same. While light years ahead of what Mike has posted in his twitter, still bad enough that after religiously following errata and rulings in all previous editions, I'm going to just stop now and ignore it. I can't be bothered to look at the Unearthed Arcana either with it's obviously never even looked at a second time math problems. The homebrew stuff we're getting is far better than what has been coming out of WotC and while past edition errata has been excellent I can do better than what we're getting now effortlessly.

Hussar

Legend
My guys are going to argue they are getting cheated out of their extra attacks I can hear it now.

You don't lose the fighter's Extra Attacks on a readied action. Extra attack kicks in any time you take the attack action. A readied action can be an attack action. You simply ready the attack. Thus, you get your full suite of attacks on a readied action.

What you can't do, is take, say, the second attack from a second weapon on a readied action, since that second attack is a bonus action.

Paraxis

Explorer
You don't lose the fighter's Extra Attacks on a readied action. Extra attack kicks in any time you take the attack action. A readied action can be an attack action. You simply ready the attack. Thus, you get your full suite of attacks on a readied action.

What you can't do, is take, say, the second attack from a second weapon on a readied action, since that second attack is a bonus action.

This is what extra attack says.

EXTRA ATTACK Beginning at 5th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn.

It says "take the Attack action on your turn".

Since your readied attack action happens on another creatures turn you do not get to make extra attacks.

Hussar

Legend
Huh. I stand corrected. Again, it helps to read all the words.

Although, to be fair, I'll be chucking out that ruling the second I'm behind the DM screen. Too limiting for fighter types. Has zero effect on casters.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Huh. I stand corrected. Again, it helps to read all the words.

Although, to be fair, I'll be chucking out that ruling the second I'm behind the DM screen. Too limiting for fighter types. Has zero effect on casters.

Hussar, I must inform you that the Ready action does have an effect on casters. Readying a spell of any kind requires the use of the your concentration slot. Any time a caster readies to cast a spell, he cannot have any other concentration spells active or they will cease because his concentration is taken by the ready action.

Not giving Extra Attacks is balanced because the Ready action affects both casters and martials in a negative fashion.

I almost never use the Ready action as a caster because I almost always have a concentration spell active. Would you give up something like bless or fly to ready an spell? Probably not.

guachi

Hero
I agreed with the interpretation to just have it create 3 extra berries.

This is my interpretation. Now you can dump all of your spell slots the night before and get 40 hp of healing per casting. That's hundreds of hp of healing that doesn't use any of your spell slots at all (as long as you don't get attacked while you take a long rest).

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
Hussar, I must inform you that the Ready action does have an effect on casters. Readying a spell of any kind requires the use of the your concentration slot. Any time a caster readies to cast a spell, he cannot have any other concentration spells active or they will cease because his concentration is taken by the ready action.

Not giving Extra Attacks is balanced because the Ready action affects both casters and martials in a negative fashion.

I almost never use the Ready action as a caster because I almost always have a concentration spell active. Would you give up something like bless or fly to ready an spell? Probably not.

Damn, I really need to go back and re-read my PHB. One thing I'm not impressed about in 5e is the layout of the books. Rules are buried all over the freaking place.

This would have really had an impact on our last session's encounter.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases