Congratulations to the 2017 Gen Con EN World RPG Award Winners!

Tonight, at Gen Con in Indianapolis, the 17th Annual Gen Con EN World Awards (ENnies) ceremony took place. Congratulations go to all the nominees, and to this year's award winners! The ENnies are an annual award program celebrating the best that tabletop roleplaying games have to offer, created in 2001.

Tonight, at Gen Con in Indianapolis, the 17th Annual Gen Con EN World Awards (ENnies) ceremony took place. Congratulations go to all the nominees, and to this year's award winners! The ENnies are an annual award program celebrating the best that tabletop roleplaying games have to offer, created in 2001.

Screen Shot 2017-08-18 at 08.42.42.png

2018 Judges

• Brian Nowak
  • Denise Robinson
  • Kurt Weigel
  • Reece Carter
  • Sean McCoy
Best Adventure

Best Aid/Accessory

Best Cover Art

Best Interior Art

Best Blog

Best Cartography

Best Electronic Book

Best Family Game

Best Free Product

Best Game

Best Miniatures Product

Best Monster/Adversary

Best Podcast

Best Production Values

Best RPG Related Product

Best Rules

Best Setting

Best Supplement

Best Website

Best Writing

Fan's Choice for Best Publisher

• Gold: Wizards of the Coast
  • Silver: Chaosium
Product Of The Year

tales_from_the_loop.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-08-19 at 03.40.48.png

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Weren't both Mearls and Crawford at GenCon?
Yeah, thy didn't have a booth, but WotC doesn't really sell stuff anyone and wouldn't have a new book to get into hands.

Well, that and the hotel, airfare, and boooth costs for a major presence at a GenCon they can hit 2-3 other cons.

And in terms of brand presence, they had Critical Role and DDAL, both of which individually dwarfs any other RPG company’s presence other than Paizo.

I don't think there is any company on the same league as Wizards anymore. White Wolf once came pretty close, but that was a long time ago.

The only company even competing with Wizards on as many fronts as Wizards participates in is Catalyst; it is leveraging the multimedia aspects of both Shadowrun and Battletech quite well. White Wolf has been trying to get back in the game, and supposedly will be, but we'll see. Other than that... Nada. Paizo, Pinnacle Entertainment, Monte Cook Games, and Chaosium are all struggling to in the multimedia area; yet, they're still miles ahead of everyone else.

That's why I am glad they didn't show up with anything at GenCon. Even though a lot of people hate them, at the end of the day Wizards still is the only big fish in this pond and still the only publisher to effectively leverage their product on a level that most can't even attempt. That's why it doesn't surprise me they won that one category; at the end of the day, no one else can compete

Congratulations to the winners.

Interesting to see CoC has a rising star again.
It is neat to see so many smaller companies rising. New growing names in the industry.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
This led to me finding out (from Robert Schwalb via the Google+ group) that stuff has to be submitted by the company for consideration. I don't know how true that is now and I don't know the particular details of how things are chosen.

It's been true for 17 years, is true today, and there are no plans to change it.

If you are interested in knowing how the ENnies work, over the www.ennie-awards.com click on "How Does It All Work?" under "About Us". It's all very transparent. It's a fan-created (by us right here at EN World), volunteer-run way to give individual writers, artists, etc. some appreciation and positivity in today's negative internet culture.

Brodie

Explorer
It's been true for 17 years, is true today, and there are no plans to change it.

If you are interested in knowing how the ENnies work, over the www.ennie-awards.com click on "How Does It All Work?" under "About Us". It's all very transparent. It's a fan-created (by us right here at EN World), volunteer-run way to give individual writers, artists, etc. some appreciation and positivity in today's negative internet culture.

And that's definitely a breath of fresh air in today's society. I try to avoid being negative when I post on the internet, but I'm only human. Plus, the older I get the more jaded I become. There are times where I want to post on something to defend it, but end up merely avoiding it because my thoughts would be unpopular ones.

Also, Morrus, I'd like to say that I think it's really cool that you're regular presence here in the comments.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Very very pleased about Tales from the Loop, but WIZARDS as best publisher? Wonder how that came about. Everyone of them voting a 100 times? ;)

Seriously, I would love to know peoples' reasoning behind voting that way, as there is little about Wizards I'd consider "best" compared to the many other publishers including Paizo. I'd also like to know where the rest of the publishers came out, especially the ones I voted for.

It's entirely possible the Paizo fans didn't vote this year because they were still drooling over Starfinder B-)

When voting this year, I found several categories had too few entries, and I often could think of products which were much more suited to win, for example in the Best Adventures category. I hope the list is a bit longer in some areas next year.

Ghostwind

First Post

One of the big changes with the Origins Awards this year was that companies were no longer required to submit to be considered. Each jury had the power to consider any product that was available to retailers during the allotted time period. In my opinion, it really opened up the field and brought awareness to a lot of great games that wouldn't normally have been considered. It was just another step in making the Origins Awards even better. I know with the RPG category, we looked at over 100 potential nominees before settling on the top 10.

Waller

Legend
One of the big changes with the Origins Awards this year was that companies were no longer required to submit to be considered. Each jury had the power to consider any product that was available to retailers during the allotted time period. In my opinion, it really opened up the field and brought awareness to a lot of great games that wouldn't normally have been considered. It was just another step in making the Origins Awards even better. I know with the RPG category, we looked at over 100 potential nominees before settling on the top 10.

Classy.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
I never even knew about those D&D unpainted minis. They do look good. Why can't they use those for their molds for pre-painted minis? :)

Great to see Free League Publishing grabs some prizes. I have been enthralled with their system. :) (Playing Star Wars conversion of their Coriolis rules :)).

BTW: Was Coriolis last year? Thought it would get some prizes here if not.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads