Unearthed Arcana New Unearthed Arcana: Revised Artificer

The Artificer Returns, and it's a better Beast Master than the Beast Master

ICYMI, enjoy! It's got two new subclasses, new spells, and some tweaks to multiclassing. Plus, you know, typos.

Now to the meat of the matter. The Battle Smith. Everyone's better at having pets than the poor Beast Master Ranger. Discuss!

Last edited by a moderator:

Chryssis

Explorer
i think just adding something like "[Y]ou take a bonus action on your turn to command it (the Iron Defender) to take one of the actions in its stat block or the Dash, Disengage, or Help action until you give it another command." would solve the TWF bonus action conflict.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/they)
I also really like this version of the Artificer. I agree; ship as is.

Also, a reminder: homonculi were always a fairly core class feature for Artificers.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
That would still leave the beastmaster unable to use TWF.
Imagine you chose twf as your weapons style and then you decide to take beastmaster.
While I don't hate the two weapon fighting rule, maybe it needs a general revision to not take a bonus action but using a bonus action improves it. Or we need the twf style remove the bonus action cost.
Yeah, maybe TWF needs to be fixed, too.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Make TWF like earlier editions as just a thing you can do with your off-hand when you make an attack and the problem is solved. I know some people might not like free g up the bonus action for other things but I don't really think it is a major issue.

5ekyu

Hero
Yeah, maybe TWF needs to be fixed, too.
I would say this is just an example of poor choices by the player. How is this different from any other character choosing more than one bonus sction attack pair of options?

Making your "bonus action attack" be the beast attack instead of your blade attack fits to me pretty solid.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
That Iron defender is a huge HP bag... Say you have 18 int at level 5, so 5 x (5 + 4 +2) = 55 hp... That's a pretty stout defender.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases