Two New Settings For D&D This Year

if it comes out this year i would agree with you. Possibly published by a third party company that has a good reputation (Green Ronin etc) However if it’s coming next year I would stake all the money in my pockets that it will be a Curse of Strahd style book. Campaign with background and new monsters etc. Curse of Strahd was too successful not to repeat!

if it comes out this year i would agree with you. Possibly published by a third party company that has a good reputation (Green Ronin etc)

However if it’s coming next year I would stake all the money in my pockets that it will be a Curse of Strahd style book. Campaign with background and new monsters etc. Curse of Strahd was too successful not to repeat!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
According to ComicBook.com, WotC's Brand Director, Nathan Stewart, told them that WotC plans to open up a couple more D&D settings for play later this year. He said "It's going to be more like at the level of how Barovia [introduced in the Curse of Strahd adventure storyline] is in terms of stuff. Here's a thing that's going to give you a taste of the setting, but we're not going to that setting yet, we're just letting you get in there and start doing it."

books2.jpg

Stewart didn't say which settings would be revealed, but did say that it would appeal to "hardcore" fans. Could it be Spelljammer (from recent clues at GAMA and in Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes), or Dark Sun (from Mike Mearls' psionics previews on his video series)? It should be noted that Chris Perkins said that Dungeon of the Mad Mage would include a spelljammer helm. Spelljammer and Dark Sun don't sound like bad guesses, and Planescape seems like a strong contender. But these are just guesses.

There are no vacant "placeholder" slots for WotC at Amazon and the like, so it's a reasonable guess that these offerings will be digital in nature. It could be anything from an Unearthed Arcana article to a full PDF like the Magic: the Gathering crossovers WoTC has released. Time will tell!

And when will this happen? Stewart says "We have two surprises that I think hardcore D&D fans are really going to love coming this summer, and then I think we got one surprise that's going to release later this year that we've not told anyone about. We're going to announce it in July."

kbrakke said:
I didn't see this anywhere else, but it looks like we might be getting official support for other settings soon. My guess would be open up DMs guild support and a SACG style book but with a multitude of settings (Or at least, that's what I want. Small primer on the plane, discussions on how the races and classes fit in there, a new race or archetype. Repeat for 200 pages, add 50 pages of monsters). If the announcement is coming in July and we get an extra 4th book this year it could be a big year for 5e.
[FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

Attachments

• books2.jpg
    books2.jpg
    402.4 KB · Views: 32,154
Last edited by a moderator:

xanstin

Explorer
It feels like their newer books are like this and I love it. OotA 1/2 Underdark Setting , CoS 1/2 Barovia, SKT 1/2 Savage Frontier Guide, ToA 1/2 chult guide. I think its all we will get as far as full fledged settings go. I don't see them doing a full size Underdark book for example when they can combine it with a pre-made story/module and sell 1 book to various audiences.

Aldarc

Legend
So what settings and associated campaign "guides" do you think we will get?

Planescape/Sigil (1/2 Planar Guide) seems like an obvious one.

akr71

Hero
[MENTION=6879661]TheSword[/MENTION]
"It's going to be more like at the level of how Barovia [introduced in the Curse of Strahd adventure storyline] is in terms of stuff. Here's a thing that's going to give you a taste of the setting, but we're not going to that setting yet, we're just letting you get in there and start doing it."

They've been dancing around Planescape and for a while now. As Astral Sea primer would be my guess - from there all other settings are just destinations in the Astral Sea.

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
http://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/06/04/dungeons-and-dragons-fifth-edition-campaign-settings/

I didn't see this anywhere else, but it looks like we might be getting official support for other settings soon. My guess would be open up DMs guild support and a SACG style book but with a multitude of settings (Or at least, that's what I want. Small primer on the plane, discussions on how the races and classes fit in there, a new race or archetype. Repeat for 200 pages, add 50 pages of monsters). If the announcement is coming in July and we get an extra 4th book this year it could be a big year for 5e.

Awesome!

Mearls did say a few months ago that they were planning to release a fourth book this year . . .

My guess? They'll probably start with Spelljammer or Planescape.

gyor

Legend
Awesome!

Mearls did say a few months ago that they were planning to release a fourth book this year . . .

My guess? They'll probably start with Spelljammer or Planescape.

Makes sense, maybe they will combine the two, Planejammer ;p

Still it does make sense, easiest transition for parties already in FR.

Then next year maybe Greyhawk, Darksun, Dragonlance, and Eberron. 2020 Mystara and Birthright.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads