D&D General 40 Million People Have Played D&D [UPDATED!]

I like the release of actual sales figures for the Starter Set. 126,000 in North America in 2014 (from the July release); 306,000 in North America in 2018. I wonder what we can extrapolate from that!

Zardnaar

Legend
Maybe I should start charging lol. Locally DM shortage but there's also a gap age wide. A few oldies like me in late 30s early 40s and a heap college age ( who are mostly broke). Shortage of reliable DMs might be more accurate. Most can't afford a phb.

The DM charging is in Seattle or somewhere like that? His clients were Google staff iirc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Maybe I should start charging lol. Locally DM shortage but there's also a gap age wide. A few oldies like me in late 30s early 40s and a heap college age ( who are mostly broke). Shortage of reliable DMs might be more accurate. Most can't afford a phb.

The DM charging is in Seattle or somewhere like that? His clients were Google staff iirc.

San Francisco, yeah. Most of the Pro DM stories I've seen tend to be folks on larger cities.

joshinminn

Explorer
However you parse the numbers, it's clearly a great time for D&D! Not only does it feel that more and more people are enjoying it, it also seems to be a period if critical and creative success. I'm excited about that! Hoping it bodes well for further expansion of the edition into settings.

However you parse the numbers, it's clearly a great time for D&D! Not only does it feel that more and more people are enjoying it, it also seems to be a period if critical and creative success. I'm excited about that! Hoping it bodes well for further expansion of the edition into settings.

100%. The Meetup group I'm in keeps gaining new members. The problem is there are too few DMs who run games. I run as many as I can handle.

I think more people need to run games. Grab a module or dungeon and go for it. I think there should be something that makes the entry into DMing easier. Perhaps the Essentials Kit is a step in the right direction.

Every feedback I've ever given to WoTC is to help new DMs. Get new DMs into the field and empower them.

gyor

Legend
If 50% of those 40 million buy Baldur's Gate 3 Larian is going to make an insane amount of money, like possibly several hundred million dollars or more.

aco175

Legend
I hope this translates to the local convention having more 5e games next year. The last couple years these sold out the first day or two and many people were standing around or needed to play other systems. I know people should try other games and cons are great places to try them, but I just want to lay D&D when I go. Last year, I ended up grabbing some other people in the hall who did not get a game and played a AL module I brought. One of the players gave me a ticket since he thought it was a legit convention game. The staff did come and give me a certificate to give to a player at the table and such, but not sure if they thought I was legit or not either.

It could be a DM problem as well and I could offer to DM more, but we go for only one day and I kind of want to play.

dave2008

Legend
If 50% of those 40 million buy Baldur's Gate 3 Larian is going to make an insane amount of money, like possibly several hundred million dollars or more.

I doubt anywhere near half of the 40 mil will by Baldur's Gate 3. But I'm not a (video)gamer, so maybe it is just me.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases