Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: The Artificer Is Here! & UA Schedule Changes

Not liking the shape of this. It's certainly powerful in a batman-utility sort of way, but I didn't expect the Artificer to become a "Must Have Pet" class. My potion thrower is gone, and the party Beastmaster is giving me side-eye. Unless you can put Returning Weapon on the potions you throw.

Not liking the shape of this. It's certainly powerful in a batman-utility sort of way, but I didn't expect the Artificer to become a "Must Have Pet" class. My potion thrower is gone, and the party Beastmaster is giving me side-eye.

Unless you can put Returning Weapon on the potions you throw.

I'm kinda sitting here wondering what other artisan's tools you could make subclasses out of, since it seems like the subclasses for the Artificers are based primarily on the tools you use (alchemist's supplies and herbalism kit for Alchemist, and Smith's and Woodcarvers tools for Artilierist)

Assuming there's no crossover of tools, you could make something with Jeweler's Kits and Mason's Tools and be a kind of elementalist (like real life Periodic Table elements, not The 4 Elements type thing). Part of your crafting specialty could be those spell gem things that were in OotA (basically spell scrolls, but you can't write them into your book)

There's also Calligraphy Set and Artist's Supplies for the artsy types who paint pretty pictures of what they want to happen and it happens. They would probably focus on Spell Scrolls for crafting.

Heck, if they don't care too much about different subclasses getting the same proficiency, they could use Herbalist's Kit and Woodcarver's Tools to make an Apothocary subclass that would focus more on healing, and let Alchemists throw greek fire and poison gas around.

Really, the more I look at the tools, the more ideas I get.

Kinda think they should get another skill proficiency, but I understand that they don't, considering all the stuff they put into Xanathar's about other uses for your tool proficiencies.

Interesting ideas. Leaving me more interested now than I was before. Thanks.

MarkB

Legend
I'm kinda sitting here wondering what other artisan's tools you could make subclasses out of, since it seems like the subclasses for the Artificers are based primarily on the tools you use (alchemist's supplies and herbalism kit for Alchemist, and Smith's and Woodcarvers tools for Artilierist)

My Viking Alchemist with the Pirate background has tool proficiency with Vehicles (Water). I have been wondering whether that means he can cast spells using a longship.

My Viking Alchemist with the Pirate background has tool proficiency with Vehicles (Water). I have been wondering whether that means he can cast spells using a longship.

If artificers first came about (or came to prominence) during a big war then this is the kind of thing I would expect would have been developed.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads