5e Are Ioun stones supposed to need attunement?

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Personally I think attunement is fine, the limit of 3 is like you know really limiting. Use attunement but drop the number limit completely.
I wrote a feat that increases the number of magic items you can attune.

ARCANE ATTUNEMENT
Prerequisite: Int 13+
You may be attuned to 2* additional magic items.

*We experimented with 1, 2, and 3...this one seemed to be the most balanced.

CapnZapp

Legend
I came up with a ritual that allowed one attunement slot to hold multiple ioun stones. Its in my Bazaars of Port Nyanzaru thread!

Edit to add text:
Congenio's Ritual 2500 sp
Over the course over a tenday, you join the temple's elder in retreat, in an attempt to unlock the mystical energies of Ioun stones. As a prerequisite you must permanently devote one of your attunement slots to Ioun – it can no longer be used to attune any other item than Ioun stones. Then make three DC 20 Intelligence (Arcana) ability checks, each taking 8 hours of time. Each success means one extra Ioun stone can share the attunement slot you devoted to Ioun.

Last edited:

5ekyu

Hero
In an earlier game, I based it off Tier plus Con mod. Con was nobody prime stat. But it really made so little diff that in the current game where we used DDB it just made sense to go to just 3 since that is supported.

I myself do not like (understatement) orphan limits, caps that dont tie back to a character trait. But it's not worth losing or complicating our online resource and ease of play for this.

CapnZapp

Legend
Yes it is omitted from certain sources, which likely is the source of the confusion.

Or rather, the original source of confusion is likely the formatting in the DMG...

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases