Paizo To Make Kingmaker Bestiary... For D&D 5E!

Kingmaker's 10th anniversary is approaching. Paizo has announced on their blog that, along with a Pathfinder 2E hardcover Kingmaker compilation, they will be creating a hardcover Kingmaker Bestiary for D&D 5E.

20190502-Kingmaker_500.jpg

The blog announcement says "[FONT=&amp]Finally, we'll add a hardcover Kingmaker Bestiary for 5E, developed in conjunction with industry leaders in third-party 5E publishing, allowing players of the current edition of the world's oldest RPG the chance to experience the rich and detailed storylines that have made the Kingmaker Adventure Path a fan favorite for a decade."[/FONT]

It is being produced "with industry leaders in third-party 5E publishing" and refers to "add-ons and unlocks" which "will be revealed as the campaign progresses". They're partnering with crowdfunding site Game On Tabletop.

They'll be revealing the details on Tuesday May 7th at noon Pacific time over at KingmakerCampaign.com.

Also in line is a Companion Guide for the PF2 Kingmaker campaign.

oreofox

Explorer
We're both wrong: it's actually 12. (You left out Paladin). Sorry I missed the number so badly - I shouldn't post right before I go to sleep.
Now I feel silly that I left out Paladin, especially since I am playing one in a game... Guess I should wake up a bit more before I post :p

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Dad
I'm not sure what you mean by that? PF and 5e are pretty fundamentally incompatible? :)

Sorry, what I meant was, isn't PF D&D 3.5+? So if they are now publishing for 5e will they be adopting the more streamlined 5e rules like they did back in the OGL days? Plus wasn't Paizo essentially a licensed WotC publisher back in the day? Seems natural Paizo would want to cross over to the vast popularity of 5e.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Paizo To Make Kingmaker Bestiary... For D&D 5E!

Do you think that PF core rules will be published for 5e soon; does this mean that everything will be 5e?

How would you distinguish between PF core rules using 5E rules and 5E core rules? The only difference between them is the rules. They’d just be publishing 5E. And then why would people buy 5E from Paizo rather than WotC?

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Sorry, what I meant was, isn't PF D&D 3.5+? So if they are now publishing for 5e will they be adopting the more streamlined 5e rules like they did back in the OGL days? Plus wasn't Paizo essentially a licensed WotC publisher back in the day? Seems natural Paizo would want to cross over to the vast popularity of 5e.

As the Capn notes, this has been thoroughly debated throughout this thread. Take a tour through the earlier posts.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
No time unfortunately, what's a summary of the consensus?

No consensus as there are good arguments on both sides. Paizo is caught on the horns of a dilemma. Shift to 5e compatible products and potentially reap larger profits (from the larger market) at the risk of pissing off its PF fanbase. Or stay the course and hope that enough of the base shifts over to PF 2 (and buys a whole bunch of stuff in the process).

I'm actually a fan of a combo approach. Publish new adventures and content for PF 2. Refurbish the best PF 1 APs and bestiaries for 5e. But that has the potential of pissing off everyone :D

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
No time unfortunately, what's a summary of the consensus?

No, Paizo is not publishing PF as 5e.

It's possible we might see Paizo publish adventure conversions for 5e. It's possible we might see Paizo publish expansion book conversions for 5e. Who knows.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases