GAME OF THRONES SEASON 8--Final Run-- Part 5

Sadras

Legend
[video=youtube;CpTZ-tC81yA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpTZ-tC81yA[/video]

Edit: meant to post this in the What Are You Listening To? thread. They released it two days ago. :D

This is the most character development we have ever seen on the Night King

hawkeyefan

Legend
I mean....I’m don’t typically criticize GRRM for taking so long with the books....but I can’t really blame anyone who doesn’t take his advice to increase the length of their series....

Zardnaar

Legend
This. It's possible to enjoy something and still be critical of it. There are parts of Game of Thrones that I think could be done better, but I still love the show.

Hatewatching only feeds fandom toxicity.

Quality didn't fall off a cliff until this season mostly from the 3rd episode. By then you have 3 episode left after watching for 8 years so may as well finish it

The difference is even the casuals are wtf. YouTube is overwhelmingly negative BBC gave the episode 2/5 and workmates also don't like it.

Episode 1 was typical first episode, 2 was really good and then bleah.

Mallus

Legend
This is the most character development we have ever seen on the Night King
The Night King isn’t really a character, tho. Why expect additional development or point-of-view from him at this late stage? The Night King is a supernatural foil for the human evil in the series.

edit: he’s also anthropomorphized climate change!

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I said that the portrayal of the scorpion use could have been handled better. The angles could have been clearer or a line of dialogue could have been added to help clarify what was happening.

The angles were irrelevant. The problems are that you simply cannot turn those things fast enough to hit fast moving targets, while bobbing up and down in an ocean, and at a distance that is too far away to reach the dragons. Also, slow moving ships cannot get out and into position before being seen by flyers looking at the island.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
I love the end of this series. It gives what people want (murder as justice) and yet they are not satisfied. Dany has been torturing, burning and crucifying people for years. And fans have been cheering on. Desiring those murders. Cause they didn't have a problem with murder as justice. People cheer for dictators, murderous or not, all the time. Like in Batman: The Dark Knight. They cheer for a vigilante who builds a surveillance state.

The series still suck because it was rushed, and this is why people will take no lesson from Dany's murderous rage (it is what dictators do, so stop cheering for them). But there is a lesson here. Murderous is not the solution. Stop asking and cheering for it.

Zardnaar

Legend
Those scorpions were bigger than anything IRL. Max range IRL is around 400 metres, effective range about half of that.
You couldn't really use siege weapons to sink ships reliably before gunpowder. It's why they used boarding and Rams.

I don't expect a massive amount of realism in shows like GoT, but they keep doing idiotic stuff like marching the Golden Company outside the city walls.

I suppose you might do that if you think you can win or have no hope of a relief army. Besieging a city was just as dangerous to the attackers as defenders though.

They did the same thing with the Dothraki. Supposed to be the best light cavalry in the world and they derp charge them.

There's plenty of military bunglers IRL though so yeah. I guess they were going for cool visuals or something.

hawkeyefan

Legend
The angles were irrelevant. The problems are that you simply cannot turn those things fast enough to hit fast moving targets, while bobbing up and down in an ocean, and at a distance that is too far away to reach the dragons. Also, slow moving ships cannot get out and into position before being seen by flyers looking at the island.

You know the range for ballistae in a fictional world, huh? And how likely it would be for one to hit a moving target? And who says the ships are slow moving?

I get it if it didn’t work for you. I wasn’t crazy about how the scene where Rhaegon was killed either. But not because it was implausible....more that it was poorly presented.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
You know the range for ballistae in a fictional world, huh?

About 1200 yards. It wasn't accurate to that range, though.

And how likely it would be for one to hit a moving target?

Next to impossible. It's "next to impossible," because they might somehow win the lottery and sling a one in a million shot. 4 of them? Not a chance.

And who says the ships are slow moving?

Both history and GoT where we see slow moving ships.

I get it if it didn’t work for you. I wasn’t crazy about how the scene where Rhaegon was killed either. But not because it was implausible....more that it was poorly presented.

It didn't work for precisely because of how implausible it was. If they had a scorpion hiding in the trees near where she lands and shot her dragon when it landed, that would have been plausible, despite how hard it would have been to get the scorpion there and hidden. There were ways to kill off the dragon that were possible, and they didn't go with one.

Don't get me wrong. Despite parts of piss poor writing, I've enjoyed every episode except for number 3, which I didn't see despite watching it. I'm just going to call out the poor parts for what they are and not excuse them.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases