Ken Whitman

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
I am looking for reliable, independent sources to improve the article I wrote for Ken Whitman on Wikipedia. I don't know how difficult that will be, but I have not had much luck yet. Designers & Dragons was a good source for this, but I need more than that to really improve the article. Maybe something from a gaming magazine, or another professional publication about him. Most online sources seem to be hate-blogs so those are not helpful due to the "neutral point of view" provision. Interviews might also not be seen as neutral, but they may be somewhat helpful. What I am really looking for is someone unaffiliated (neither friend nor foe) writing about him. Anyone have any ideas?

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Not very useful. One thing that maybe someone will have access to, though:

The 2014 edition of Designers & Dragons notes that in Pyramid #25 (May/June 1997), there was an article about Traveller by Timothy Brown called “The Classic Science-Fiction Roleplaying Game Returns” that does mention Whitman. I imagine it talks about him more than just the one quote that was in the book; if anyone has access to that article, could you help me out finding out what it says?

aramis erak

Legend
Ken's got a pretty good entry on IMDB. Yes, Ken Whitman the gamer is also Ken Whitman the producer/director.

On the other hand, Ken's pretty much a well meaning but incompetent schmuck.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Hmmm, that may definitely be worth noting... I may come up with something from that yet!

And that line is probably the most accurate yet! A lot kinder than all the people screaming for his blood. ;)

aramis erak

Legend
Not very useful. One thing that maybe someone will have access to, though:

The 2014 edition of Designers & Dragons notes that in Pyramid #25 (May/June 1997), there was an article about Traveller by Timothy Brown called “The Classic Science-Fiction Roleplaying Game Returns” that does mention Whitman. I imagine it talks about him more than just the one quote that was in the book; if anyone has access to that article, could you help me out finding out what it says?

I don't know the article, but I do know the most probable reasons for the mention.
Traveller 4, aka "Marc Miller's Traveller"...
Courtney Solomon wanted to get rights to Traveller in order to make a movie based upon it. Ken worked for/with Courtney on several projects (which can be confirmed from his IMDB profile). Courtney fronted Ken the money for Imperium Games, which published T4, and Ken was the day-to-day head.

The controversy then is that several authors claimed quite publicly that Ken didn't pay them.
MJD being the most vocal. ( http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showpost.php?p=521160&postcount=4 )

And now, Ken's apparently having financial issues fulfilling his KS.

Remove ads