All Change At WotC: New President Arrives From Microsoft As Greg Leeds Resigns

WotC's President, Greg Leeds, has resigned, to be replaced by Microsoft's Chris Cocks. The changeover takes place on June 6th, with Leeds staying on to facilitate a smooth transfer. Greg Leeds has been President of WotC for 8 years, since 2008. Chris Cock's most recent position was Vice President of OEM Technical Sales at Microsoft. The full press release is below.

Screen Shot 2016-04-11 at 20.48.54.png

Chris Cocks

[h=4]Press Release[/h]
PAWTUCKET, R.I.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Hasbro, Inc. today announced that Greg Leeds has resigned as President of Wizards of the Coast, and will be replaced by Chris Cocks who joins the company from Microsoft. Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro, offers games and entertainment under world-renowned brands such as MAGIC: THE GATHERING, DUNGEONS & DRAGONS, and DUEL MASTERS. Leeds has served as the President of Wizards of the Coast since 2008, and started at Hasbro in 2001. He will stay on to ensure a smooth transition to Cocks, who will officially join the team in Seattle on June 6.

“We are incredibly thankful to Greg for the tremendous contributions he has made to Hasbro, especially during his time leading Wizards of the Coast,” said John Frascotti, President, Hasbro Brands. “Today, thanks to Greg’s commitment and passion, Wizards of the Coast’s brands are stronger than ever. Though MAGIC: THE GATHERING was introduced more than 20 years ago, it is more relevant and popular today than it’s ever been, with a record number of people around the world playing the game and participating in MAGIC organized play events.”

Leeds will be replaced by Chris Cocks, who most recently served as Vice President, OEM Technical Sales at Microsoft Corporation, where he led a global sales and technical engagement team. Prior to his eight-year tenure with Microsoft, Chris served as Vice President of Educational Games at LeapFrog, where he led a cross-discipline team to drive hardware planning, software design and development, marketing and channel management. He began his career in brand management at Procter & Gamble and served in product management and marketing leadership positions in Xbox and MSN, including work on hit franchises like Halo and Fable, prior to joining Leapfrog. Cocks is an avid player and fan of Wizards of the Coast brands, including MAGIC: THE GATHERING and DUNGEONS & DRAGONS.

“We’re very excited to welcome Chris to the Wizards of the Coast family,” said Frascotti. “As an avid fan and player with extensive digital experience, I’m confident Chris is the right person to help us build on the tremendous momentum around our brands and take the franchise to the next level by delivering exciting new experiences to our growing and passionate fan base around the world."

See the list of ex-WotC employees here.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
So unlike Leeds, he's actually played D&D and MtG in a non-business capacity. Which is exciting.

Played both? Either? In tabletop format? I didn't see that in the release.

As for the rest of it, I am optimistic. Bringing in someone from Microsoft seems like a very good move. I look forward to see what new directions he takes the various WotC brands.

dd.stevenson

Super KY
-- he led a global sales and technical engagement team
-- he led a cross-discipline team to drive hardware planning, software design and development, marketing and channel management
-- he served in product management and marketing leadership positions in Xbox and MSN, including work on hit franchises like Halo and Fable

It's difficult for me not to see this resume as part of an effort to finally get a successful MTG-themed competitor to hearthstone off the ground.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
It's there. I quoted it.
End of the 4th paragraph and in the 5th paragraph at the end of the release.

What you quoted is open to interpretation. In fact, the portion you cut off actually makes it seem like he is a player of D&D branded video games, not necessarily tabletop games, which is why I asked. "A player with extensive digital experience" could just as easily mean he plays or played the computer versions of D&D, particularly because of the placement of the commas and phrasing.

Cocks is an avid player and fan of Wizards of the Coast brands, including MAGIC: THE GATHERING and DUNGEONS & DRAGONS.
“We’re very excited to welcome Chris to the Wizards of the Coast family,” said Frascotti. “As an avid fan and player with extensive digital experience, I’m confident Chris is the right person to help us build on the tremendous momentum around our brands and take the franchise to the next level by delivering exciting new experiences to our growing and passionate fan base around the world."

ChrisCarlson

First Post
What you quoted is open to interpretation. In fact, the portion you cut off actually makes it seem like he is a player of D&D branded video games, not necessarily tabletop games, which is why I asked. "A player with extensive digital experience" could just as easily mean he plays or played the computer versions of D&D, particularly because of the placement of the commas and phrasing.
Wow. There truly is no escape from the dreaded Parse-Beasts of Enworldia(tm)!

DM Howard

Explorer
I am sure this has to do with the recent announcement that WotC is working on an improved and integrated digital Magic the Gathering experience. I wouldn't mind some digital love for D&D as well, but I would really just like more stuff to, you know, buy.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Wow. There truly is no escape from the dreaded Parse-Beasts of Enworldia(tm)!

Several degrees in English and Communications makes it easy to parse corporate speech. But we'll find out sooner or later, I am sure, when he gives the inevitable interview. Nevertheless, I seem to be one of the few posters in the thread who actually sees his coming to WotC as a very good thing.

lyle.spade

Adventurer
Not cool. You can be sure he's heard them all. Especially in high school. No need to add to it. You might want to read the other post on the front page about harassment.

I thought it was funny, too. I am happy to see that he's a gamer and not just a branding/marketing/business guy. If he's got the gamer gene and all that other industry experience he'll do the company and hobby good.

Maybe. It might mean he just played Baldur's Gate two decades ago.
But that's a fairly cynical reading of the portion. I'm taking it at face value, that he's a fan of D&D.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Maybe. It might mean he just played Baldur's Gate two decades ago.
But that's a fairly cynical reading of the portion. I'm taking it at face value, that he's a fan of D&D.

Either is face value. One or the other is only cynical if someone has a stake in the opposite interpretation.

Nevertheless, Last week I was discussing all the recent job postings with some other folks and we wondered if something even bigger was coming. This would seem to be something bigger. Pretty wild there have been nearly two dozen listings at the WotC job board since less than one month ago.

https://company.wizards.com/about/careers

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases