All Change At WotC: New President Arrives From Microsoft As Greg Leeds Resigns

WotC's President, Greg Leeds, has resigned, to be replaced by Microsoft's Chris Cocks. The changeover takes place on June 6th, with Leeds staying on to facilitate a smooth transfer. Greg Leeds has been President of WotC for 8 years, since 2008. Chris Cock's most recent position was Vice President of OEM Technical Sales at Microsoft. The full press release is below.

WotC's President, Greg Leeds, has resigned, to be replaced by Microsoft's Chris Cocks. The changeover takes place on June 6th, with Leeds staying on to facilitate a smooth transfer. Greg Leeds has been President of WotC for 8 years, since 2008. Chris Cock's most recent position was Vice President of OEM Technical Sales at Microsoft. The full press release is below.

Screen Shot 2016-04-11 at 20.48.54.png

Chris Cocks

[h=4]Press Release[/h]
PAWTUCKET, R.I.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Hasbro, Inc. today announced that Greg Leeds has resigned as President of Wizards of the Coast, and will be replaced by Chris Cocks who joins the company from Microsoft. Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro, offers games and entertainment under world-renowned brands such as MAGIC: THE GATHERING, DUNGEONS & DRAGONS, and DUEL MASTERS. Leeds has served as the President of Wizards of the Coast since 2008, and started at Hasbro in 2001. He will stay on to ensure a smooth transition to Cocks, who will officially join the team in Seattle on June 6.

“We are incredibly thankful to Greg for the tremendous contributions he has made to Hasbro, especially during his time leading Wizards of the Coast,” said John Frascotti, President, Hasbro Brands. “Today, thanks to Greg’s commitment and passion, Wizards of the Coast’s brands are stronger than ever. Though MAGIC: THE GATHERING was introduced more than 20 years ago, it is more relevant and popular today than it’s ever been, with a record number of people around the world playing the game and participating in MAGIC organized play events.”

Leeds will be replaced by Chris Cocks, who most recently served as Vice President, OEM Technical Sales at Microsoft Corporation, where he led a global sales and technical engagement team. Prior to his eight-year tenure with Microsoft, Chris served as Vice President of Educational Games at LeapFrog, where he led a cross-discipline team to drive hardware planning, software design and development, marketing and channel management. He began his career in brand management at Procter & Gamble and served in product management and marketing leadership positions in Xbox and MSN, including work on hit franchises like Halo and Fable, prior to joining Leapfrog. Cocks is an avid player and fan of Wizards of the Coast brands, including MAGIC: THE GATHERING and DUNGEONS & DRAGONS.

“We’re very excited to welcome Chris to the Wizards of the Coast family,” said Frascotti. “As an avid fan and player with extensive digital experience, I’m confident Chris is the right person to help us build on the tremendous momentum around our brands and take the franchise to the next level by delivering exciting new experiences to our growing and passionate fan base around the world."

See the list of ex-WotC employees here.

GreyLord

Legend
I'm pretty excited about this. I think he'll be great for WotC. I hope it's a move towards a larger digital presence, and if it is, I think there is going to be a bigger focus on Magic the Gathering and getting it competitive online than it will be for D&D. Still, even if it's a focus on MtG, one can hope he can also do great things for D&D.

SansMoins

Explorer
Hiya!

I agree with @The Grassy Gnoll ...digital stuff.

I'm not sure how I feel about this, but my gut reaction is "Well, at least I have a PHB, DMG and MM". As he was 'obviously' hired because of his digital forte, to me, that tells me Hasbro wants to head down that road. Which means that it is going to be even more increasingly unlikely they will be getting any money from me. :( I was actually kind of excited about being able to spend my cash on *actual D&D* stuff. That is something I hadn't done at all during the 3e & 4e era...or, roughly, for the last 16 years.

If my reservations are confirmed...well, looks like I'll be waiting another 8 years until D&D 6th Edition "hits the shelves" (if I'm not too busy fighting off the hoards of ravenous dead because of the zombie-apocalypse thing that will probably be going on then...I'm sure I'll have time for D&D though...so...fingers crossed for 6th Ed! :) ).

[...]

Paul L. Ming

I'm hoping this adds "digital stuff" to supplement the physical stuff. An official character generator would be nice, for example. The only issue I see is for this to work, they would either have to make you buy the generator, or have a one time use code in the books. Either way, there is going to be a group that will be upset, either cause they didn't get it for free, or that they can't use a code in a 2nd hand book they bought.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I'm genuinely impressed he managed to put out a line of YA novels while also managing other teams and projects. I guess that's the level of organization and executive skills you should expect from the CEO of a multimillion dollar firm.

It's just one book. Apparently he's 75% done with the second book in that series.

evilbob

Explorer
So, the guy headed out has a huge pedigree: MtG is the biggest it has EVER been. It's a massive, massive cash cow right now: whatever they did differently about 3 years ago radically changed the brand into a printing press that prints only money.

As others implied and my favorite quote about D&D says: "Compared to MtG, D&D is a rounding error in WotC's books."

However, the fact that they even mentioned D&D at all and even specifically spent words to say the new guy has played D&D is pretty amazing. I mean, that's a massive concession to D&D, in my opinion, to place it on the same level as MtG in an announcement like this.

Like others, I'll just be happy if I can one day own a legitimate PDF copy of the D&D books I've already purchased.

It's difficult for me not to see this resume as part of an effort to finally get a successful MTG-themed competitor to hearthstone off the ground.
MtG Puzzle Quest, wooo! :) Just kidding, it's terrible.

delericho

Legend
So, the guy headed out has a huge pedigree: MtG is the biggest it has EVER been. It's a massive, massive cash cow right now: whatever they did differently about 3 years ago radically changed the brand into a printing press that prints only money.

It's possibly just the 20 year rule for returning fads - Magic was first published in 1993, and three years ago was 2013. (See also Star Wars, Transformers, BSG, D&D 3e, TMNT, and various others.)

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
However, the fact that they even mentioned D&D at all and even specifically spent words to say the new guy has played D&D is pretty amazing. I mean, that's a massive concession to D&D, in my opinion, to place it on the same level as MtG in an announcement like this.

I think we tend to forget that D&D has a huge value to WotC and Hasbro that far outweighs its revenue stream. It's been around twice as long as MtG, has cred with gamers who have never even played it, and is used as part of the common vernacular in ways that most games including MtG will likely never achieve, sort of like Monopoly and Clue. It's the old workhorse. It's a game-world elder statesman. It's not a financial cash cow but it is still an anchor product for this little corner of Hasbro.

evilbob

Explorer
It's possibly just the 20 year rule for returning fads - Magic was first published in 1993, and three years ago was 2013.
Certainly, and MtG has also had its ups and downs, but even just "getting out of the way" is still a choice. It's hard to not give credit here.

I think we tend to forget that D&D has a huge value to WotC and Hasbro that far outweighs its revenue stream.
You're right, but it is also hard to know how much "brand value" really matters to companies, especially without the bottom line to back it up. I interpret this more as WotC has some future plans for D&D (like another really bad movie that's coming up :) ) that they hope to develop the brand into something even bigger, and they're already doing the marketing to position it as if it will be the next big thing. (And I'm sure we all hope they succeed!)

Nylanfs

Adventurer
... You're right ... I'm sorry. That was rude and totally out of place. Sometimes I think I'm clever, but I'm really just being a jerk.

REALLY, was all that necessary. You acknowledge to sometimes being a jerk, and then keep doing it?

And people wonder why there needs to be threads about women getting harassed.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads