[UPDATED!] D&D Beyond: An Official D&D Digital Toolset & Character Builder

D&D Beyond has just been announced! Coming this summer, and billed as "Your digital D&D source", it has a compendium of official content, character builder and manager, the ability to use home-brew content, D&D forums, and is usable on any device. A 1-minute announcement trailer can be seen below. D&D Beyond is produced by a company called Curse Inc, owned by Twitch. Right now, there's a signup for the Beta version. More info as/when it becomes available! [UPDATES: The D&D Beyond folks have offered some more info, which I have included below; I will be chatting with them later this week, with luck!]

"We are excited to announce development of D&D Beyond, an official digital toolset for use with the Dungeons & Dragons fifth edition rules. We have partnered with Curse to take D&D players beyond pen and paper, providing a rules compendium, character builder, digital character sheets, and more—all populated with official D&D content. D&D Beyond aims to make game management easier for both players and Dungeon Masters by providing high-quality tools available on any device, empowering beginners and veterans alike!" goes the official description.

"D&D Beyond speaks to the way gamers are able to blend digital tools with the fun of storytelling around the table with your friends,”
said Nathan Stewart, Senior Director of Dungeons & Dragons. "These tools represent a way forward for D&D, and we’re excited to get them into the hands of players soon!"

The company, Curse Inc., is owned by Twitch, and is based in San Francisco, with offices in various countries. They produce tools and communities for gamers - up until now, mainly video games. They started as a way to organise the founder's World of Warcraft add-ons about 10 years ago, and grew into a multinational company from there. The company makes a desktop app called the Curse Client, along with community driven wikis, tools, guides, and databases for games like Minecraft, Diablo, Countersrike, Overwatch, and more. In 2016, it was announced that Twitch would acquire Curse.

Features, from the website, include:

• D&D Compendium with Official Content
  • Create, Browse, & Use Homebrew Content
  • Manage Characters - Build, Progress, & Play
  • D&D News, Articles, Forums, & More
  • Access Anywhere, Anytime, on Any Device
That last item makes it sound like it'll work offline, which will be a popular move. And the home-brew content mention is also important, especially because WotC supports DMs Guild.

UPDATES: I checked with WotC's Greg Tito who confirmed "D&D Beyond will work without an internet connection. That's a big deal for the devs!"

Adam over at D&D Beyond confirmed a little about the pricing model:

"At launch, players will be able to access SRD content and build and view a small number of characters with a free D&D Beyond account.

We don’t have exact pricing nailed down, but you will also be able to buy official digital D&D content for all fifth edition products with flexible purchase options. You can pay only for the D&D content you need. If you only play fighters, for example, you’ll be able to just pick up the stuff you need to track swinging that giant two-handed sword.

A small monthly subscription will be needed to manage more than a handful of characters and to enable more advanced features, like homebrew content integration. At this time, we don’t know exactly how much the subscription will cost."

He also confirmed that the pricing structure is not about microtransactions: "I'm about to get on a plane so I've got to be brief, but I wanted to check in and make it clear that "microtransactions" were not mentioned and are not what the model is about."

And also that D&D Beyond is definitely not a Virtual Game Table (VTT): "D&D Beyond is intended to enhance gameplay around a table (virtual or otherwise) - we intend this to be completely complementary and have no intention of creating a VTT."

[video=youtube;Dn8Kpmm_aJA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn8Kpmm_aJA[/video]

Screen Shot 2017-03-12 at 17.24.50.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-12 at 17.41.25.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-12 at 18.10.18.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-12 at 18.09.28.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-12 at 18.09.49.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-12 at 18.10.45.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-12 at 18.11.02.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-12 at 18.11.13.png

SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave

Last edited by a moderator:

Remathilis

Legend
And what's really required for ongoing development for something like this? Get it right the first time and aside from some tweaks to fix things that were missed or improve based on feedback, the only work required is in the data sets which are extra money on top of the client anyway. Hero Lab hasn't really been changed for however long it's been out... a decade? And they just increased their prices to do basically nothing to their product other than keep selling it and adding packages which they charge for.

The issue will be both a.) storage and b.) new rules that don't conform to the previous mold. For example, psionics doesn't use the current spell-slot system, so adding psionics/The Mystic later might require changes to the code to allow a new type of power selection. Especially in a PnP game, you can't assume for rules that have yet to be written 5 years down the road.* That's also not including ideas like the initiative/encounter tracker or whatever other interesting ideas come along.

* Its harder than you think. I saw it during 2e with the Core Rules Expansion disc, which had a robust class generator and still couldn't mimic all the classes in 2e, or similarly the 4e Char generator, which required heavy re-writing to accommodate the Essentials classes.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
If there is a subscription option that includes all content, including periodic updates with new content as WotC releases books, then that's fine. I'm on board with that, even if its $15/month, which is more than Netflix charges and more than 4e DDI charged.

But a base subscription plus additional micro-transactions for content packs? Hmm, thats a tough sell for me, unless you create a storefront where you sell me the physical book AND the digital version at once. If I'm already paying for a subscription it should be priced to automatically include new material, not just to keep the servers running.

And what's really required for ongoing development for something like this?
With new rules content every six months? That means at least one full time developer at $50,000 per year.
Just covering her salary would be 1000 people each month at $5/ month. Plus office space, servers, bandwidth, computers, benefits, etc. You'll probably want at least a few thousand subscribers.

That's just for upkeep. You also need to recoup the initial six to twelve months of development costs.

Curmudjinn

Explorer
With new rules content every six months? That means at least one full time developer at $50,000 per year.
Just covering her salary would be 1000 people each month at $5/ month. Plus office space, servers, bandwidth, computers, benefits, etc. You'll probably want at least a few thousand subscribers.

That's just for upkeep. You also need to recoup the initial six to twelve months of development costs.

How dare you bring real math into this, Jester! You're making it hard to make excuses and point fingers, and we don't appreciate that.

pming

Legend
Hiya!

Looks cool and I was on board up until the ​"...will require a monthly subscription..." part. I already have more than enough monthly expenses. I can't "save up" for a monthly subscription...I can save up for a one-time fee of $100. I pay $10/mo for MODO Indie, another $20/mo for Substance Live, another $40/mo for Digital Tutors, and another $10/mo for something I can't remember at this second (...game related I think...EDIT: Obsidian Portal; I have a $50'ish/year payment to them). So that's $80/month for subscriptions. I would have to add another $25+/mo if I was using Photoshop, which would be over $100/mo for "subscriptions". Every few months I add in Netflix for a month to binge-watch certain series or movies.

So, unless the monthly sub is RIDICULOUSLY low (like, no more than $5/mo...tops), I'm out. Now, if they give an option to buy a "full year of total access for $75"...then I'll look into it. As I said, I can save up for that. But if it's each and every month, with no bulk-time purchase...then I'm out. :(

Oh, yeah, I have to be able to save EVERYTHING/ANYTHING I want to PDF, RTF or some open-file format that I have full control over. If I can only view online or Print...again, I'm out. :(

But, yearly-cost and full access to print/save/modify in various non-proprietary format and...I'm in! :)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
Obsidian Portal; I have a $50'ish/year payment to them[/I]).

There's money you could save. Never saw the value in that site even after I had a yearly sub and made a huge effort to design a nice campaign portal. I still didn't renew and ended up having 2 months left on my sub before deleting the site and using other, much better stuff, for free.

Ristamar

Adventurer
If you have a one time Life-time Subscription cost, like Fantasy Grounds does with their Ultimate license, I'll do that. Pay once and not worry about it. I know I would still have to pay for books I may want to add in the future, I just HATE monthly subscriptions, especially for RPG gaming.

I concur. My gaming (video, tabletop, or otherwise) often is not consistent enough to justify an ongoing monthly subscription, so a one-time lump some is far more palatable.

G

Guest 6801328

I love character generators, but there's no way I'm paying a monthly sub for this. No $%#&ing way.

Hiya!

Looks cool and I was on board up until the ​"...will require a monthly subscription..." part. I already have more than enough monthly expenses. I can't "save up" for a monthly subscription...I can save up for a one-time fee of $100. I pay $10/mo for MODO Indie, another $20/mo for Substance Live, another $40/mo for Digital Tutors, and another $10/mo for something I can't remember at this second (...game related I think...EDIT: Obsidian Portal; I have a $50'ish/year payment to them). So that's $80/month for subscriptions. I would have to add another $25+/mo if I was using Photoshop, which would be over $100/mo for "subscriptions". Every few months I add in Netflix for a month to binge-watch certain series or movies.

So, unless the monthly sub is RIDICULOUSLY low (like, no more than $5/mo...tops), I'm out. Now, if they give an option to buy a "full year of total access for $75"...then I'll look into it. As I said, I can save up for that. But if it's each and every month, with no bulk-time purchase...then I'm out. :(

Oh, yeah, I have to be able to save EVERYTHING/ANYTHING I want to PDF, RTF or some open-file format that I have full control over. If I can only view online or Print...again, I'm out. :(

But, yearly-cost and full access to print/save/modify in various non-proprietary format and...I'm in! :)

^_^

Paul L. Ming
Reread.
Currently, it sounds like the plan is single paymnets for content and subscriptions for more characters and being able to integrate homebrew content and "advanced" features. Sounds like basic stuff is just available for free, and you can get a class or two for a one time fee.

Hiya!

^_^

Paul L. Ming
Oh, and look into EpicWord.com instead of Obsidian Portal. Much cheaper (but your players can only have a couple characters at a time).

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases