Pathfinder 1E EB's Second Darkness w/RoleMaster rules (plz ignore prefix) - Recruitment (need a Burglar) haha

Yavathol

Explorer
Brushing his brown hair back with an ink stained hand, the young man unwittingly muttered aloud as he gathered his thoughts. What is the nature of reality? How do space-time, life-blood, material objects, magic and consciousness-dreams-emotions interact? Though he had spoken to many wise people before his entrance to the academy, philosophers and priests, old women with grandchildren to laconic woodsmen, they had all, individually, seemed to follow a paradigm which was constrained in some manner, choosing certain aspects of reality as being more important while ignoring others, none seeking to explain existence as a whole!

Indeed, several of those worthies seemed to think it folly to ask such questions, emphasising that one should just accept a limited understanding. But Finn was convinced that it was worth the effort, and that progress could be made by careful study, identifying independent variables and distinguishing causation from correlation, a view shared by several Magi here at the academy.

He smiled, remembering how proud his family had been when they learnt he had been granted admission to the academy, free of charge. A tanner's son, no less! Granted, at some point the Magi would demand some service from him, but that was a thought for another day. His mother, Elphera, remarked that she could finally serve the family meal without having to answer endless questions on what fish ate, whether they had souls like humans, and what happened to them after death.

Realising the time had come for his weapons training, Finn rapidly ran to the field. He realised that his studies would take a long time, and knew the wisdom of keeping his body fit and, in this dangerous world, of learning to defend himself should his spells ever be unavailable to him. Wielding a spear would hopefully cover the case when he was in the open or attacked by a monster; while learning the shortsword was a contingency for fighting indoors or against humanoids. He drew the line at learning to fight in armour though, if he was unable to magically protect himself then disengaging and fleeing while unencumbered seemed the most prudent strategy.

He smiled at his sparring partner as he picked up his training spear. In truth, it was a welcome break for his overworked mind to be forced to focus on the immediate matter at hand. Trying to stay impassive and serious, the other student didn't return his smile, but Finn saw it in his eyes. The earnest and open young man was generally liked, though unbeknownst to him, some found him overly cerebral and logical, lacking a little in fun or creativity.

OOC:
In terms of types of spell, probably most emphasis on control rather than damage or buff, but really a mixture, things from detect thoughts to necromantic attacks to creating life, with probably an emphasis on meta magic and understanding how magic is put together with a variety of inputs - mystic words, focused will, special components, even blood sacrifices to produce a precise outcome:)

Last edited:

EarlyBird

Explorer
hey jonathonhawke, welcome to the thread - I had a question for you about Daniel. I don't know what books you have, but if you have Companion 2, it looked to me that Beastmaster has about the same development as Ranger, but the spell lists might fit your backstory better. Was thinking Sense Enhancement to start. Let me know what you think.

Also using the background options I was going to give you a special item. An unbreakable longbow that you could use in melee as a staff should you need to. Perhaps an old druidstaff of your Grandmothers' that she gave to you as a gift.

You may also switch up your character after we figure out the game we will be playing, if you like. Your ranger was well suited to the sandbox game, maybe not so much if we have an urban heavy AP. Your preference?

So far...
2 votes Second Darkness
1 vote Carrion Crown
1 vote Age of Worms
1 vote Curse of the Crimson THrone

EarlyBird

Explorer
NP, once we have an adventure decided on, looking like Second Darkness has the lead, I can give everyone the info in the player's guide or anyone can download them for free, but know they'll be tweaked just a bit.

EarlyBird

Explorer
LOL thanks for asking...

I have been reading up on Curse, Second, and Carrion Crown. ANd I have played the first three parts of Age of Worms before (in 3e)

I like them all so far, very well designed, as for running I'm not sure yet. My votes in order....

Carrion Crown (its horror, and there are neat objects inside the covers that would convert to RM easily)
Curse of the Crimson Throne
Second Darkness
Age of Worms

EarlyBird

Explorer
OK gang let's go with Second Darkness, I'm liking the read so far and the potential for some fun RPing. Finn will defiantly be a member of the Order of Cyphers so that fits nicely.

Group so far:
hero4hire - Jerrod human alchemist
Yavanthol - Finn human magus
johnathonhawke - ?? human fighter
Skarsgard - ?? human ??

Hoping for one more? [MENTION=6803664]ccs[/MENTION] maybe?

All I need from the players is their background/concept (please list fave weapons and tactics), and if you all can get a copy of Second Darkness Player's Guide and specifically pick a campaign trait for your character. I will be giving everyone a list of the basics you will have to start the game, DB, OB, equipment, spells, and special abilities. Won't be much think of this as if we were trying this in RL you would only have an index card size list of numbers and things your character can do.

That info I'll have everyone copy past into the RG before we get started.

Remove ads