OSR What Has Caused the OSR Revival?

Zak S

@zac S :There is a restaurant I really like. I often tell friends about it. They do African style chicken ( west African I think?) over charcoal, it's delicious. And cheap too! Very affordable. The owner is quite the character as well.

Everything I have just said is true.

But Tony might point out that there are millions of restaurants in the world, and the main factor in my choice of restaurant is how close the place is to my house.

Is Tony lying? Is he peering into my heart, implying I am deluded?

No

The analogy would be

"Ancalagon, you like that restaurant bc its near your house!"

"No i don't because its not near my house. In fact I didn't even know where it was the first time I ate there because I was there before I moved to my house and I've tried all the other restaurants and I like the chicken over charcoal"

"I think it's because it's near your house"

All the folks in the OSR have been harassed with claims they are nostalgists long before explaining that, no, they didn't even particularly like old D&D or (in many cases) know that they were playing an old ruleset.

So the analogy implying that Tony is simply noticing a factor you might've overlooked isn't a good one--nobody overlooks this possibiility. They carefully examine and dismiss it constantly: http://goodberrymonthly.blogspot.com/2018/03/why-i-settled-for-osr.html

So, again: this is not a rational objection. It's grasping at straws to find a way to second guess people for not conforming to a prejudice.

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
My interpretation is that his main thesis is that the quality of the mechanics (ie rules) is not the main factor behind someone liking/playing a game.
Mechanics aren't the main factor behind a game being popular or not. Monopoly, for instance, very popular... but ask a hard-core boardgamer how good it is, mechanically, sometime, if you don't mind listening to a rant.

Yes, which necessarily implies:
Yeah, I'm just going to have to ask you to lay off the straw man thing. It's getting tiresome.

No, I'm not calling anyone a liar (because that would be against the CoC, unlike actually lying).

All the folks in the OSR have been harassed with claims they are nostalgists long before explaining that, no, they didn't even particularly like old D&D or (in many cases) know that they were playing an old ruleset.
So you've been told too many times that you - personally? collectively? - /only/ like something that's patterned on something from an 80s fad, 'because nostalgia?' And, in defense or reaction, you insist that, instead, nostalgia has absolutely nothing to do with such preferences, for anyone.

Pushing back against a generalization with an opposite extreme?

Understandable, not exactly the highest road, but understandable.

nobody overlooks this possibility. They carefully examine and dismiss it constantly
One aspect of these weird little debates I don't ever quite grok is the unwillingness to just leave a preference at that. If you enjoy a game, that's enough - the point of 'em is to have fun. There's really no need to justify it. And, whether/why one person enjoys a game is orthogonal to the trends that might make that game relatively more popular or unpopular at a given moment in history.

So, no the observation that D&D was a fad in the 80s, that it's having a come-back, now, and that OSR games are essentially clones of the versions from the 80s doesn't have to imply anything about how you personally feel about it.

But, if what you're really concerned with is the quality of the mechanics of one or more of these games, then popularity isn't the place to start or end, the mechanics themselves and what their merits may be, would be - and another thread not about relative popularity, would be the place for it.

Last edited:

Zak S

Mechanics aren't the main factor behind a game being popular or not. Monopoly, for instance, very popular... but ask a hard-core boardgamer how good it is, mechanically, sometime, if you don't mind listening to a rant.

Yeah, I'm just going to have to ask you to lay off the straw man thing. It's getting tiresome.

No, I'm not calling anyone a liar (because that would be against the CoC, unlike actually lying).

So you've been told too many times that you /only/ like something that's patterned on something from an 80s, 'because nostalgia?' And, in defense, you insist that, instead, nostalgia has absolutely nothing to do with such preferences, for anyone.

Pushing back against a generalization with an opposite extreme?

Understandable, not exactly the highest road, but understandable.

One aspect of these weird little debates I don't ever quite grok is the unwillingness to just leave a preference at that. If you enjoy a game, that's enough - the point of 'em is to have fun. There's really no need to justify it. And, whether/why one person enjoys a game is orthogonal to the trends that might make that game relatively more popular or unpopular at a given moment in history.

So, no the observation that D&D was a fad in the 80s, that it's having a come-back, now, and that OSR games are essentially clones of the versions from the 80s doesn't have to imply anything about how you personally feel about it.

But, if what you're really concerned with is the quality of the mechanics of one or more of these games, then popularity isn't the place to start or end, the mechanics themselves and what their merits may be, would be - and another thread not about relative popularity, would be the place for it.

Your claim was explicit:

People who claim they like the mechanics _probably_ don't and like it for some other reason.

That's not a strawman, that's your claim. Nothing in this sentence about "popular" or "some" or "most"

Do you have evidence of your claim?

Tony Vargas

Legend
Your claim was explicit:
Does this:
Everything you just described is standard-issue fad-cycling. Nostalgia may not feel like the right label for those of us who have been with the hobby the whole time, but it's pretty close: the appeal of OSR is it's similarity to the game of the past...

D&D was a fad, fads flop, and when they do people always say they're dead & gone for good. Then the fad comes back, and people always say its here to stay.

But, really, it's only the popular perception that cycles, the core enthusiasts stick around through the whole cycle.
Really sound like:
People who claim they like the mechanics _probably_ don't and like it for some other reason.
to you?

Zak S

Does this:Really sound like:
to you?

No I was not referring to your vague claim, I was referring to this bold and explicit one:

Z:
"the main reason" they continue to use it.

Tony:
That'd make sense if people came to games with the idea of finding good-quality mechanics. I rather doubt that's what most gamers are looking for. Instead, I suspect they're looking for an experience, of which the mechanics may or may not be a big part, and the quality of the mechanics may or may not influence, and may not deliver only by the obvious expedient of being 'good.'

In the case of D&D or OSR games harkening back to the early days of the hobby, that experience is probably either about re-capturing the feel of gaming in that era (which can be, perhaps unfairly, called 'nostalgia') or about exploring that feel for the first time (and there could be many reasons for wanting such an experience).

"

That's you:

Explicitly claiming that the reasons OSR people give are not true and yours are. Since OSR people are constantly harassed with the false claim of nostalgia and constantly say that's not the point.

Tony Vargas

Legend
No I was not referring to your vague claim, I was referring to this bold and explicit one:
Z:
"the main reason" they continue to use it.
Tony:
That'd make sense if people came to games with the idea of finding good-quality mechanics.
So is it your point that people, in general, do come to games looking for good mechanics?
If so I'd have to disagree: IMX, that's a relatively small minority - the more 'Hard Core' of gamers - who really delve into mechanics and start trying out and dissecting games specifically looking for the best mechanics. I don't believe that generally-fruitless quest much contributes to any game's popularity.

...That's you:
[sblock="Excessive detail..."]
Tony said:
That'd make sense if people came to games with the idea of finding good-quality mechanics. I rather doubt that's what most gamers are looking for. Instead, I suspect they're looking for an experience, of which the mechanics may or may not be a big part, and the quality of the mechanics may or may not influence, and may not deliver only by the obvious expedient of being 'good.'

In the case of D&D or OSR games harkening back to the early days of the hobby, that experience is probably either about re-capturing the feel of gaming in that era (which can be, perhaps unfairly, called 'nostalgia') or about exploring that feel for the first time (and there could be many reasons for wanting such an experience).
Not that anyone should other reading this, but if you really want to parse what I said above, you'll find that it's not saying anything like what you tried to boil it down to. Particularly, look at what I'm saying about how mechanics relate to the experience a game delivers, they can be part of it, or not, they can contribute to a desired experience by being technically sophisticated or by being sketchy or rough or even 'bad' in a variety of senses (including sense others would label 'good' because subjectivity. ;( ) So please don't think I was telling you you were lying about coming to OSR looking for good mechanics and feeling you'd found them. If they delivered the experience you were looking for, or were enjoyable, they're certainly good enough in that context. That just doesn't necessarily expand out to a trend or to popularity - for the same reason popularity doesn't prove quality, really. [/sblock]

Yep, that's a reply fairly deep into the rapid-fire exchange. It's not my 'thesis' or claim about the popularity of OSR. What I offered was an observation, about fads & come-backs, which I quoted a post or two, above.

Explicitly claiming that the reasons OSR people give are not true and yours are.
To be clear: the reason you gave, on behalf of everyone who has ever or might ever try an OSR game. I don't doubt it's your personal reason (that is, I'm not calling you a liar). I'm skeptical of the generalization since it doesn't match my experience with actual gamers, especially those outside of message boards...

Since OSR people are constantly harassed with the false claim of nostalgia and constantly say that's not the point.
I'm beginning to get the idea that you feel somehow persecuted and I want to assure you that's not my intent, and that I am not making claims about you personally.

Last edited:

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Hello again! Sorry for not replying earlier - I had an OSR game to run!

... in 5e...
... using a 2nd ed module. But whatever. That is not important, the chicken is important!

... there was no chicken this week.

Do you or do you not get that Tony's claim necessarily implies he's second guessing people he doesn't know and claiming he knows more about their experience than them?

Well let's see, what is his core thesis... the crux of what he is saying

My interpretation is that his main thesis is that the quality of the mechanics (ie rules) is not the main factor behind someone liking/playing a game.

Hmm, seems I was right! (I'll note I used the "generic someone" vs his "people" (implied by "being popular") but whatever). So does this statement - that the quality of the mechanics is not the main factor behind the popularity of a game - imply that people are lying? Does it? Really? Because it seems that's what he was trying to say, and I deduced his intent.

But perhaps you did as well?

Apparently not. For whatever reason - he misspoke, you misread, the Illuminati - your interpretation of his point was incorrect. It's ok. We humans miscommunicate ALL the time!. So it's time to let it go, let go!

*summon high charisma frost elemental*

ahem. I blame the lack of chicken.... The chicken! I forgot all about the chicken.

So earlier you said that my analogy was wrong, that is should be

No

The analogy would be

"Ancalagon, you like that restaurant bc its near your house!"

"No i don't because its not near my house. In fact I didn't even know where it was the first time I ate there because I was there before I moved to my house and I've tried all the other restaurants and I like the chicken over charcoal"

"I think it's because it's near your house"

BUT he still would be right! First the notion that I tried all the other restaurants is ridiculous. Of course I didn't. How could I (unless I live in a small town). And even though the restaurant wasn't near my house the first time I tried it (note: it was near my house), it was still "near" me. It had to be accessible. Otherwise I never ever would have eaten there. And I keep eating there because it's near my house. Geography matters!

Of course it's not the only reason I like it! But it's a major factor why I actually eat there. The best beef I ever had was in a restaurant in Houston. But that's over a thousand km away. Even though I would love to, I just can't have that tasty tasty beef...

All the folks in the OSR have been harassed

I'm sorry to hear that. There has been a lot of very creative things in the OSR realm and I for one am thankful for it.

or (in many cases) know that they were playing an old ruleset.

This is an aside, but this implies lack of experience with many systems. They may not be best place to say which is the best system. But I'm not sure many of us are. I've played 2nd, 3.X, pathfinder, a tiny bit of 4, 5e, I run a Yoon-Suin game, I read the rule cylopedia, I ran warhammer 2nd ed extensively - in and out of the warhammer setting, hero, gurps, exalted, traveler, looked into Fate, other games I forget... and I'm sure that is really a pretty humble sampling compared to the vast array of systems out there.

So the analogy implying that Tony is simply noticing a factor you might've overlooked isn't a good one--nobody overlooks this possibiility. They carefully examine and dismiss it constantly: http://goodberrymonthly.blogspot.com/2018/03/why-i-settled-for-osr.html

Interesting blog. I'll note two things - one we've gone from the general "people", "someone" etc to the particular - this guy. Second... I find his post rather interesting, but I am struck about how a lot of the problems, and solutions, aren't really mechanically derived! They are more about... the philosophy of adventuring, GMing, adventure design. He talks about lack of creativity, railroading, bored players... and talks about blogging, inspiration, community. Those are all great, wonderful things... but are they mechanics?

... are we even talking about the same thing at all?

Zak S

It had to be accessible. Otherwise I never ever would have eaten there.

You are changing the analogy away fro one fitting the real-life situation.

The real life situation is:

On the internet, people interested in OSR games are constantly faced with the following accusation:

Any quality the OSR gamer ascribes to the game they like (and the specific game doesn't matter, so long as it's considered "Old" or "OSR" by whoever's writing) besides nostalgia (Creative content, mechanics, art, anything) is denied as the reason they like it, and told that the real reason they like it is nostalgia. Or that nostalgia is part of their desire when it's not--even when it's impossible.

Think of an analogy fitting that situation (whatever that is for you) and imagine the proper reaction to that.

There are OSR folks who:

-Could not possibly be into it for nostalgia because when they first played OSR (and other systems) they didn't know when they were written bc they didn't know where the games they played fit into gaming history.

The idea Tony proposes--that this person got into osr to experience some idea of "how it used to be" is impossible with this person

And other who:

-Could not possibly be into it for nostalgia because they didn't enjoy their experiences gaming back in the day and have since extensively " gamed around ".

In both cases and for 10 years, all over the internet, when someone asked about their experience and nostalgia, hundred of people have explained "No, I didn't have any nostalgia for old games, I like (this specific thing)".

This isn't just once, this is literally hundreds of blog posts and messages over the years.

WAY more than the ones saying anything else in my (long) experience.

And what's more, they don't just say this: they make game design decisions and life decisions that take up hours and weeks of their lives that show that--in full awareness of their options--they willingly chose to use OSR stuff and then they and the people who use what they do enjoy it and point out emergent properties of the games that wouldnt exist if certain situations characteristic of OSR (and not necessarily any old game, just OSR) practice.

Effectively: to claim "No, these people don't understand their reasons, it's nostalgia" or "Well in addition to these things, it's nostalgia" (despite how many of them are logistically or emotionally in a situation where "nostalgia" doesn't make sense as a motivation) is the equivalent of repeating any other prejudice.

I don't care how you want to restate your analogy or how you think we got here.

I don't know or care if y;all are consciously moving goalposts or creating straw arguments or twisting words and nobody reading learns anything about games if that is or isn't true so it isn't worth arguing.

I am going to say right now some true things, and if you disagree I'd ask you to show your work:

.If and only if Tony is saying many OSR fans for whom nostalgia could not possibly be their motive don't exist then he's basically denying a lot of peoples' lived experience.

.If and only if Tony is saying many OSR fans for whom nostalgia could not possibly be their motive exist but he is assuming they are dwarfed by those for whom nostalgia IS an important factor (despite the fact that looking at the online chatter, these people specifically declaim nostalgia is their motive), where is his proof? Because claiming you know what someone wants more than they do is an accusation and requires proof.

.If and only if Tony is saying many OSR fans for whom nostalgia could not possibly be their motive exist but he is assuming they are dwarfed by those for whom nostalgia IS an important factor, why don't sales of nostalgic OSR products dwarf those of the ones created by people interested in new ideas and who feel no nostalgic pull?

If Tony thinks none of those things: Then we're done with this part ofthe conversation as far as I;m concerned.

Those 3 things are questions I am asking and statements I'm responsible for.

If Tony isn't saying any of those things: Great. I'm not invested in any statement about Tony' rheotrical style or making accusations about him except inasmuch as he might be asserting one of those things.
Same for you.

I super don't care whether this conversation is due to bad faith or simple miscommunication. I don't care to devise a theory. That's trivial in the scheme of things.

I'm invested in the people who have put up with a lot of bs online over the years and made and traded and talked about their ideas online anyway being able to connect with anyone reading this who doesn't know much about what the OSR makes and casually assumes their must be some grain of truth to claims of OSR being about nostalgia and therefore not actually investigating.

Because the number of letters I've gotten over the years from people going "OMG I am SO! GlAD! I FINALY FOUND! (Scrap Princess, G Bone, any other given OSR creator) THANK YOU! I used to hang out with _____ people and they all told me the OSR had nothing for me bc it was only about nostalgia and now I know they were wrong but it took so long!"

I am concerned about those people--I want them to find the game they want to play fast.

So if you align with any of those first 3 hypothetical Tonys' POVs and agree with them: then I have things to say right beneath you on a webpage if you make those claims. Because it is as important as anything one could say about taste in games could be that nobody anywhere think this is a rational claim (at least not until conclusive evidence is produced). Their lives would be worse if they took those opinions as factual.

If you don't? Then there isn't a reason to keep worrying about this part of the conversation.

If Tony doesn't? Then there isn't a reason to keep worrying about this part of the conversation.

I don't care about how the conversation got here, what I care about is what you actually believe.

Last edited:

Remove ads