12 new monster images revealed from Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes!

I am no good at posting pictures, so you have to go to https://www.sageadvice.eu/2018/05/09/new-monsters-images-revealed-from-mordenkainens-tome-of-foes/.

Pictures include:

Giff
Eidolon (assumed no caption)
wintery Eladrin
Eladrin design shot
I have no idea, but ugly
The scariest looking Abashai I have ever seen--looks like it deserves a high CR
Abashai group shot
I have no idea, but ugly
Marut--Not your Dad's Marut, but seriously after looking at this, why would you want your Dad's Marut?
Marut design
Something big and scary (maybe a death giant?)
Another Giff
female Drow (matriarch?)
The last is definitely the Drow Matron Mother, they showed that art during the one-on-one battles on Twitch.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
1e MM2 I believe.

And I agree with Olgar, its hard to take the gun wielding, pipe smoking, cut from Star Wars space hippos seriously. Then again I could never take Spelljammer seriously as a whole. Not my thing.
Do you take Elven Wizards and Dwarven Barbarians "seriously?"

Are people taking D&D seriously.

They were created via collaboration of Tiamat and Pearza of the Dark 8. Assuming that 5e keeps that bit of lore (which I wrote) within its continuity.

Curious why they spelled them abashai when they're abishai. Still, that typo aside, that artwork is just spectacular for the abishai. :D

I wonder if they aren't actually the same thing after all. I (and I think everyone else) has been assuming that, but if they are new critters that Tiamat (or whoever) created to replace the abishai, that could explain the name change and the high CR's that reportedly were seen (I think) on D&D Beyond.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
And I agree with Olgar, its hard to take the gun wielding, pipe smoking, cut from Star Wars space hippos seriously. Then again I could never take Spelljammer seriously as a whole. Not my thing.

Yours is not an uncommon opinion, and I think that's unfortunate. I totally get it not being your thing, and that's fine.

But to my mind one of the real strengths of Spelljammer is it's refusal to take itself too seriously. It's a setting that recognizes the inherent goofiness of D&D, embraces it, and doubles down on it.

It's possible to run horrific and serious Spelljammer campaigns - I have done so myself, and some of the last supplements produced for the setting leaned more in that direction. But to me Spelljammer overall emphansizes the sense of wonder and amazement and possibility of D&D, without the kind of jaded cynicism that led to stuff like Planescape and Dark Sun. Planescape itself is more or less a 90s style gritty reboot of Spelljammer anyway, in a sense.

To each their own. But I don't see how a hippo dude is any sillier than Slight Elf Variation #2387 (this time, with even pointier ears!) or cat people or turtle people or pick your staple.

It's all make believe, people.

Last edited by a moderator:

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I always liked them because of change self.

Had an avatar of Tiamat encounter the group in a sin city type area with a harem of abishai.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Yours is not an uncommon opinion, and I think that's unfortunate. I totally get it not being your thing, and that's fine.

But my mind one of the real strengths of Spelljammer is it's refusal to take itself too seriously. It's a setting that recognizes the inherent goofiness of D&D, embraces it, and doubles down on it.

It's possible to run horrific and serious Spelljammer campaigns - I have done so myself, and some of the last supplements produced for the setting leaned more in that direction. But to me Spelljammer overall emphansizes the sense of wonder and amazement and possibility of D&D, without the kind of jaded cynicism that led to stuff like Planescape and Dark Sun. Planescape itself is more or else a 90s style gritty reboot of Spelljammer anyway, in a sense.

To each their own. But I don't see how a hippo dude is any sillier than Slight Elf Variation #2387 (this time, with even pointier ears!) or cat people or turtle people or pick your staple.

It's all make believe, people.

In not into anthropomorphic animals and would say the same about cat or turtle people. The hippo people imagery looks like out of furry fic set in the 19th century. Just not my deal.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases