D&D 5E Running Horde of the Dragon Queen: Bard Wants to Join Rezmir!

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
In character. He also made fun of them for being so tall. It hasn't hurt the actual players relationship and is simply good role playing.

The issue is that either this will split the party because Rezmir wants to keep him close, or he'll become an agent of Rezmir and work against the rest of the party (who are out to defeat Rezmir and the cult).

The first option is really a non-starter because you've in effect started two different campaigns, one for the player with Rezmir and one for the players in opposition. If the party's adventuring goals are not aligned it can get very confusing and very boring.

If you choose the second, you're risking some major trouble down the road as things come to a head. Again perhaps your group is experienced enough to roll with the punches, but if not people could get quite upset at the continual PvP.

Your best bet is to turn that character into an NPC and have the gnome player roll up a new character. The fun part then could be a future battle where the player's new PC faces off against their old PC (perhaps taking the place of one of Rezmir's lieutenants in Castle Nerytar (sp?) :) )

Aiden_Keller_

First Post
The issue is that either this will split the party because Rezmir wants to keep him close, or he'll become an agent of Rezmir and work against the rest of the party (who are out to defeat Rezmir and the cult).

The first option is really a non-starter because you've in effect started two different campaigns, one for the player with Rezmir and one for the players in opposition. If the party's adventuring goals are not aligned it can get very confusing and very boring.

If you choose the second, you're risking some major trouble down the road as things come to a head. Again perhaps your group is experienced enough to roll with the punches, but if not people could get quite upset at the continual PvP.

Your best bet is to turn that character into an NPC and have the gnome player roll up a new character. The fun part then could be a future battle where the player's new PC faces off against their old PC (perhaps taking the place of one of Rezmir's lieutenants in Castle Nerytar (sp?) :) )

They are all experienced players and have...at one point or another...played a character who has been seemingly working against the party (the party never knew!)

I really want to keep the role playing going and I think it would be interested to have the gnome bard constantly supplying information to the cult...that can be how "The Cult Strikes" episodes work out....

In the end...yes the bard might turn against the players...I think with all this help I will add a mercenary barbarian into the party (secretly played by the player who originally had the gnome bard) The gnome bard will actually be an NPC and the barbarian will be played by the character.

This could turn into the biggest jaw drop in the end....

I also plan to have an agent of the Zhent talk to the gnome and explain how if he continuous he could eventually reap the entire fortune of the Cult instead of brining back Tiamat...He will be a triple agent and turn against everyone.

Maybe...

akr71

Hero
They are all experienced players and have...at one point or another...played a character who has been seemingly working against the party (the party never knew!)

I really want to keep the role playing going and I think it would be interested to have the gnome bard constantly supplying information to the cult...that can be how "The Cult Strikes" episodes work out....

In the end...yes the bard might turn against the players...I think with all this help I will add a mercenary barbarian into the party (secretly played by the player who originally had the gnome bard) The gnome bard will actually be an NPC and the barbarian will be played by the character.

This could turn into the biggest jaw drop in the end....

I also plan to have an agent of the Zhent talk to the gnome and explain how if he continuous he could eventually reap the entire fortune of the Cult instead of brining back Tiamat...He will be a triple agent and turn against everyone.

Maybe...

The bolded part is the most important piece. If the players are ok with it, play along.

I would talk with the Bard Player separately. If this is what they want, then the Zhents, or their College call them for a 'secret mission.' The Bard meets with Rezmir and joins the cult - you two can role play important bits along the way separate from the main game - the player plays a different character for a while. The Bard mysteriously joins the party again in a time of crisis, only to double-cross them, die trying, or confess their transgressions and hope to make amends by giving info that helps take down the cult.

hawkeyefan

Legend
Have Rezmir reject the bard. Maybe she uses him and then laughs at the idea of a lowly gnome joining the cult.

It’d be a potentially powerful motivator for the bard to want to take her down.

collin

Explorer
Funny you should mention this attraction to Rezmir, because my character's backstory was that he had previously had a fling with Rezmir and she was kind of trying to coax him into joining the Dragon cult, but as soon as things got weird, he dumped her and took off. It created an interesting and funny "reunion" when they met up later. :eek:

If you play Rezmir like she was portrayed in our adventure, then the bard could become a "toy" or "tool" for Rezmir. Lots to consider there, but as others have said, you need to take into account how this will affect the other players, their characters, and play at the table in future sessions.

Oofta

Legend
Others have given more specifics and I haven't run the mod yet, but in my campaigns I have a simple rule established during the session 0. No evil characters, no PVP.

This sounds like it would eventually violate both of those rules and the PC would become an NPC. This has happened once or twice (I've been DMing a long time) and it was actually quite fun for the group, including the original player, for the PC turned NPC to become a nemesis.

So ask the gnome's player if this would be a fun option for them. Have him be a double agent now and then and when he gets caught (or after the first PVP incident) the gnome becomes an NPC.

The tough thing is going to be this being a side-track so if you can do most of the coordination outside of game time that would be best. A lot of it would be RP in any case, something that I've dealt with via emails/messaging.

In addition, I never assume what players will do. So don't assume he'll eventually see the light. Good luck!

Aiden_Keller_

First Post
Funny you should mention this attraction to Rezmir, because my character's backstory was that he had previously had a fling with Rezmir and she was kind of trying to coax him into joining the Dragon cult, but as soon as things got weird, he dumped her and took off. It created an interesting and funny "reunion" when they met up later. :eek:

If you play Rezmir like she was portrayed in our adventure, then the bard could become a "toy" or "tool" for Rezmir. Lots to consider there, but as others have said, you need to take into account how this will affect the other players, their characters, and play at the table in future sessions.

This is going to be how I play it. For now he will think she actually wants him (in the cult and as a potential lover) and then after taking all his gold (because its for the horde...) she double crosses him.

Remove ads