D&D 4E Disarming in 4E

thanson02

Explorer
I'm gearing up to run 4E again.

Is "Disarm" done in 4E? How are the PC's going to try to get my Ogre's nasty flail away from him?
Well, you could go with any of the options presented by other folks or you could just go with the Disarm attack in Unearthed Arcana: Combat Options on page 36 on Dragon Magazine issue 425

The article also has options for basic fumble rules, basic injuries, overrun, trip, sunder, some additional options for using action points, as well as a bunch of feats related to these additional options.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Well, you could go with any of the options presented by other folks or you could just go with the Disarm attack in Unearthed Arcana: Combat Options on page 36 on Dragon Magazine issue 425
Are you sitting down, because this may shock you: the game with the ogre occurred almost seven (7) years ago. ;)

But it's good info for those people still playing 4E, if they can get access to that magazine.

MoutonRustique

Explorer
I'm gearing up to run 4E again.

Is "Disarm" done in 4E? How are the PC's going to try to get my Ogre's nasty flail away from him?
In general: it's not.

In this instance: when the creature is bloodied, it looses it's flail and then starts to do X. That's a cool thing for a boss-type creature.

OR, my house rule is thus: with regards to monsters, [disarmed] has the same mechanical effects as [weakened] - so whatever would be an acceptable "cost" to add [weakened] to, you can use [disarm] for that "cost".

Or actually, in this case, if the flail is an important aspect of this creature (lore or story-wise) - make it an in-combat Skill Challenge.

Doh! Just noticed this was 7 years ago! ... :blush:

Last edited:

Rolenet

Explorer
It will be dead only when we stop arguing over rules.

So I say: disarming? Even if you could, you'd have a hard time figuring what penalties to give out. Only MM1 and MM2, and even then barely, used actual weapons/stats. With MM3, you'd have to use some fudge as [MENTION=22362]MoutonRustique[/MENTION] suggests: weakened, or maybe -2 atk (as an improvised weapon), or both.

Then you can use the Holy Page 42, or simply state that it's a normal attack because a -2 to attack is comparable to an at-will effect, and you're not dealing damage.

The other thing is: if the weapon is on the ground, it's either nothing for the monster to pick it back up, or if they manage somehow to carry it away, then well the PC might well start doing this each and every time there's a weapon involved. In that case, make sure that the next Ogre is twice as angry and deadly *without* the flail...

So the better solution is probably, again, [MENTION=22362]MoutonRustique[/MENTION]'s skill challenge version. (But then it may be that I like the nickname). Make the Ogre REALLY FEARSOME with his flail, and make it clear to the players that they have to get rid of it or be mashed into pulp.

So, [MENTION=31304]TarionzCousin[/MENTION], clearly you are now enthralled by the prospect of gathering your party from 7 years ago and re running that encounter?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases