D&D 5E [GUIDE] Into the Woods We Go: The Ranger Guide

Hotelyankee

First Post
Thanks you! I'm about to create my first 5e character and found your guide very useful. I'm playing as a Aarakocra ranger/archer and I'm looking forward to see how the flight-ability will effect the playing experience.

Megalith

First Post
Crossbow Expert is also a great feat for all ranged archers. The middle benefit alone is worth the price of taking it. "Being within 5 feet of a hostile creature doesn't impose disadvantage on your ranged attack rolls."

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Crossbow Expert is also a great feat for all ranged archers. The middle benefit alone is worth the price of taking it. "Being within 5 feet of a hostile creature doesn't impose disadvantage on your ranged attack rolls."

It's quite nice, but there's an opportunity cost for a feat. If I wasn't using a crossbow I'd definitely wait until I was at DEX 20 and had Sharpshooter before looking at it.

Darkcloud

First Post
I played a 4th-level goblin ranger recently in a one-and-done game session. I know you don't have monstrous races listed in this guide, but I think this one is worth mentioning.

+ 2 Dex:
+1 Con: I usually value Con higher than Wis. So for me at least, goblin offers the best +3 stat points possible for a race (IMHO).

Move 30: Sometimes we assume that small means slow, but goblins have no handicap here.

Darkvision: most people already know the relative utility of this ability from other races.

Fury of the Small: at-will extra damage that works against almost every foe. It can be used more than once a day, too. Super-versatile and useful.

Nimble Escape: Get your 14th level ability at 1st level? Yes, please! Both parts are strong for archers. Even if you want to play melee instead of ranged, you can disengage from one area and move to a spot to use Horde Breaker as much as possible.

Last edited:

Remove ads