D&D 5E Being The Best D&D Player You Can Be

pogre

Legend
It has been a very long time since I have played in a campaign. I'm nearly always on the other side of the screen. Last fall, an acquaintance of mine invited me to play in a 5th edition D&D campaign. I knew the other players, but had never played a game with them. I thought I would give it a try. At worst, I figured I could chalk it up as an experience that confirmed my view my natural position at the table was as a DM.

The Dungeon Master [MENTION=6793324]AriochQ[/MENTION] has done a really nice job with the campaign and I have enjoyed it very much.

Having been on the other side of the screen for so many years, I endeavored to be the best player I could. Someone I would want at my table for every campaign. I have not always succeeded, but I thought we could share some tips on being a player who adds to everyone’s enjoyment of the game. Here are my thoughts:

1. Be Consistent: Make the agreed play time a priority. Show up on time. Bring all of your necessary materials. Be ready to play.

2. Be Flexible: Use a character concept that fits the DM’s campaign world vision. Play a character that lends itself to story hooks. Create PC obligations tied to the campaign world. Give the DM anchor posts to use if they wish to. Orphaned barbarians from wiped out villages are OK, but ask yourself: Is your PC background giving the DM something to work with?

3. Be Creative: Don’t be afraid to offer adventure ideas, but don’t be offended if the DM does not use them.

4. Be Enthusiastic: Bring positive energy to the table. Be well-rested and engaged in the game. This is one I can improve on - I sometimes come to the table pretty tired from work.

5. Add to the game: Can you add props or maybe a log to share. We have a player that made us all fancy name tags for the early games that were really helpful in learning and using everyone’s characters’ names. I wrote a log that I shared with the group - you can read it in the Story Hour section of ENWorld. *Shameless Plug* We all have painted miniatures. Maybe you have artistic ability and can do a group portrait. All of these things help add to the campaign - I hope you have more suggestions to share!

6. Be Open: This one is more directed at old DMs that are playing (like me). Be open to new ways to experience the game. Try not to judge the DM’s style. Relax and enjoy a slightly different take on the game. This has really helped me enjoy playing more.

7. Be Generous: Of course, bring snacks to share, but also make a conscious effort to share the spotlight with other PCs. Bite your tongue on occasion, and allow others to lead conversations and give ideas.

8. Help The Game Run Smoothly: This depends on the DM, but perhaps you can run combat initiative or keep track of condition markers. Don't get in rules arguments - accept the DM's ruling and then bring it up again in a friendly matter via email after the game. Be ready to accept a ruling you disagree with.

I’m sure there have been many threads like this, but never hurts to revisit the topic. I’m anxious to hear your ideas too.

Coroc

Hero
Put out two more rules, chisel them into a stone tablet :)

Pun aside, you are answering yourself perfectly, players who dm also themselves normally are pretty good players also because they know the other side.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Great post Pogre.

As a DM I ask little of my players but that they make an effort to show up on time, pay attention, and don't destroy the stuff I bring to the game.

I'm 0 for 3.....

;)

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I would add:

DO STUFF. Take all the hooks and pursue them relentlessly. Do the things your DM/game rewards you for doing.

LET OTHERS DO STUFF. Rather than immediately spew forth a criticism of someone else's idea, accept any good faith offer and then add to it. Avoiding debates saves a lot of table time and keeps the game moving forward while encouraging people to offer their ideas.

SHOW, DON'T TELL. Show who your character is by doing the stuff that makes him or her unique and fun for everyone to witness. Don't write up a backstory and then fade into the background at the table. Few people are going to care about that backstory you wrote sometime before actual play if anyone reads it at all.

Mathilda

Explorer
I would add the following:

9. Be Attentive - Listening to the DM's narrative is a sign of respect as well as showing a commitment to the game you are playing. Sometimes being attentive can be challenging like playing in a convention where your game is in the same room as other games and it is hard to hear but at least try. For me, nothing is more annoying as a DM is watching players constantly looking at their phones, talking to others, etc then ask questions about something I already described in the narrative.

10. Ask for Feedback - Ask the other players how you all can work better as a team, ask how your character can help the party be more efficient, ask the DM how you or your character can help the campaign more. In my experience, the more you put in as a player or a DM, the better experience you will get out of it in the long run.

Thurmas

Explorer
My biggest pet peeve, as both a DM and a Player. Know your character. Know what abilities you have and what they do. Know and understand your spells. If you need to have a cheat sheet for specifics do so, or have the class page open in your PHB. Figure it out prior it getting to your turn. The DM shouldn't have to spend time explaining to you what your stuff does during a game. If you have questions, ask before the game session and get clarification.

When you aren't prepared, it slows down games and kills momentum when people have to learn what their abilities are, look things up in the middle of combat, or be reminded they have an ability they aren't using. It's unfair to the DM and unfair to the other players.

There is of course leeway for new players, or even a new ability you just earned on leveling.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
My biggest pet peeve, as both a DM and a Player. Know your character. Know what abilities you have and what they do. Know and understand your spells. If you need to have a cheat sheet for specifics do so, or have the class page open in your PHB. Figure it out prior it getting to your turn. The DM shouldn't have to spend time explaining to you what your stuff does during a game. If you have questions, ask before the game session and get clarification.

When you aren't prepared, it slows down games and kills momentum when people have to learn what their abilities are, look things up in the middle of combat, or be reminded they have an ability they aren't using. It's unfair to the DM and unfair to the other players.

There is of course leeway for new players, or even a new ability you just earned on leveling.

Yes, yes, YES!!!!!!!

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I would add the following:

9. Be Attentive - Listening to the DM's narrative is a sign of respect as well as showing a commitment to the game you are playing. Sometimes being attentive can be challenging like playing in a convention where your game is in the same room as other games and it is hard to hear but at least try. For me, nothing is more annoying as a DM is watching players constantly looking at their phones, talking to others, etc then ask questions about something I already described in the narrative.

I love you man.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
11. Try to entertain the DM and other players with your character - in what it is, or what it does, or what it says, or just how it goes about interacting with the game world and the other PCs - and be prepared to be entertained in return. Entertainment, after all, is what it's all about. :)

Lanefan

Quickleaf

Legend
One thing I do, on the rare occasions I am a player, is make my character background as concise as I can & specifically call out tidbits for the GM to hook his or her ideas on.

I don't know how many times as DM I'd see the extremes of (1) a multi-page background with lots of exposition that I need to hunt for things to hook on, or (2) scarcely any background at all, and getting character background details during play from that player is like pulling teeth.

Remove ads