Mearls On D&D's Design Premises/Goals

First of all, thanks Morrus for collecting this. I generally avoid Twitter because, frankly, it's full of a$$holes. That aside: this is an interesting way of looking at it, and underscores the difference in design philosophies between the WotC team and the Paizo team. There is a lot of room for both philosophies of design, and I don't think there is any reason for fans of one to be hostile to...

First of all, thanks [MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION] for collecting this. I generally avoid Twitter because, frankly, it's full of a$$holes.

That aside: this is an interesting way of looking at it, and underscores the difference in design philosophies between the WotC team and the Paizo team. There is a lot of room for both philosophies of design, and I don't think there is any reason for fans of one to be hostile to fans of the other, but those differences do matter. There are ways in which I like the prescriptive elements of 3.x era games (I like set skill difficulty lists, for example) but I tend to run by the seat of my pants and the effects of my beer, so a fast and loose and forgiving version like 5E really enables me running a game the way I like to.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
It's pretty clear that people who like the mechanical aspect are not the people WOTC is interested in marketing to, whatever your opinions on that are.

We're not REALLY welcome, as far as they're concerned.

I doubt that. It's not like you're not welcome, it's that you will no longer be the group predominantly catered to anymore.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Try this: we both have characters in an established adventuring party. Within the party there's a long history of your character and mine being close friends (we're both front-line warriors), meanwhile neither of us have any time for wizard character C and would prefer he not be in the group. So, now the party's in a rolling open-field battle with a bunch of tougher-than-expected foes and aren't doing very well. Character C in particular is overwhelmed, while you look to be holding your own and I've just freed myself up to join another fight.

Tactically-best choice: I go and bail out character C whose spells, if free to cast them, could quickly turn the tide.
In-character choice: I come and help free you up, confident that between us we can mop this up, and let character C sink or swim on his own. We can always find another wizard.

Now, to add in the missing-info aspect: there's also a rogue character D in the party, a decent sort. In this battle D is also getting snowed under, only from my position on the field my character can't see this due to some obstacle or other. I-as-player, however, can look at the minis on the grid and see that D is toast unless someone bails him out.

So now we have three options:

Tactically-best choice: I go and bail out character C.
In-character choice: I come and help free you up and let character C sink or swim on his own.
Metagame-driven choice: I go and bail out character D.
Excellent and thorough example, thank you.

Ok, so first of all, I would argue that bailing out character C is just as valid a character-driven choice as helping free me up. You can certainly say that you have a closer bond with my character and don’t much care for what happens to character C. But you could just as well say that your character’s bond with mine is such that you understand my capabilities and know that I can handle myself. Perhaps even that you would not wish to rob me of the glory of defeating these foes on my own, and the wizard might owe you if you save him. Now, either are valid options, and as the person portraying your character, it is up to you to decide which is the option your character would take. That decision is what, for me, roleplaying is all about, and I would consider trying to eliminate such moments to be a terrible design goal. You’d be actively trying to eliminate the most fun part of the game.

As for if saving character D is “metagaming” or not, that is a question of the social contract of the group. At my table, it is assumed that the characters are cohesive enough unit to be able to effectively communicate what is going on around their part of the battlefield to each other, even if they can’t directly see it. So at my table, going to save the rogue would be fine, under the assumption that he was either able to express his need of aid, or you noticed his absence and thought it suspicious, or something. Not all tables would play it that way, however, and I’ll grant that in this example, we are playing at a table where if your character can’t directly observe what’s happening to the rogue, they don’t know and can’t act on that out of character information. In that case, that would not be a valid roleplaying choice.

Fair enough, but kind of self-defeating when discussing comparables between all 5 (actually 6 if 0e counts) editions.
I mean, that’s not what we’re discussing. We’re discussing the design philosophy behind 5e, and whether or not providing the players with lots of mechanical options goes against it.

Hmmm...we'll have a hard time finding common ground on this one, methinks. :)

Personally, I want level-up to be as simple and straightforward as possible - roll h.p., gain whatever locked-in abilities the new level gives me, and carry on. I also prefer initial char-gen to be as simple as possible, simple enough that it can be done on the fly during a session by someone who's just lost a character and has an upcoming opportunity to bring in a replacement. If it takes longer than half an hour, including spell selection and mundane equipment loading, that's too long.
Sure, that’s fair. I prefer character generation to be quick and easy as well, particularly at 1st level. I’m personally less concerned with the speed of generating higher-level characters, but I can empathize with the desire to keep that quick too. Fortunately, the nice thing about options is that they are optional. 5e’s approach to starting equipment provides a good model for how this can be done. If you want to get your starting equipment figured out as quickly as possible, you just take the stuff recommended in the “quick build” for your class. If you want a little more customization but still to keep it quick and easy, you take the starting equipment package for your class, making a few simple choices like “explorer’s pack or dungeoneer’s pack.” If you want as much flexibility as possible and don’t mind it taking longer, take the starting gold and buy your equipment a-la-carte. The DM of course has the power to restrict options and/or provide new ones. This same philosophy could be applied to, say, class features, instead of equipment. Maybe offer a subclass with all fixed abilities for those who don’t want to pick and choose. Or a few. Just also offer options with a lot of customizability for those who like it.

Because they're bad for the game, perhaps?
I don’t agree with that. You and I will probably never agree on that.

As an aside: I've enjoyed everything I've read of yours in terms of 3PP content.
Thank you.
Which is partly why I've been so defensive of DMsGuild. It can be amateur hour at times, but from personal experience there are a lot of people who have spent a lot of time and effort into making great products.

Charlaquin

The big trick is giving you those options while letting me express my character without needing those options.

Like, since the Battlemaster can spend Superiority Dice to disarm and shove, does this mean the Champion is prohibited? I'd hope not, but it can be tough to make it work for both players.
It’s a little tricky, but it’s possible and I think well worth the effort. Champion and Battle Master are both viable options in 5e, and while Battle Master tends to have a bit higher DPR, Champions aren’t useless by comparison, and we’ve seen with the Brute an example of a simple fighter that performs much better damage-wise than Champion.

Charlaquin

Have you checked out 13th Age?

Lots of options in character creation and such, but pretty rules-light. Might be right up your alley.

It also accomplishes what Mearls says was the goal for 5e (focus much more on narrative and identity, rather than specific, mechanical advantages; who you are is more important than what you do, to the point that your who determines your what; a community that focuses on socializing and story telling.) way better than 5e does..."despite" that it's written by authors of 3e and 4e! :)
I have, and it’s a very well-designed game that is just not quite to my taste, unfortunately. It does a lot of things I really like (abstract distances, backgrounds-as-skills, etc.), and a lot of things I really don’t (+Level to rolls, the escalation die, etc.) But while its execution is not quite what I would prefer, conceptually it is a shining example of the sort of design I would like to see more of in the mainstream games.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
I think most of Mearl's tweet is garbage, especially the purported intentions of 3e and 4e, but if their 5e intent was to make a cakewalk game that ensures the party gets from plot point A to plot point Z, via a long winded adventure path, with a "strong narrative" to "enjoy", they succeeded.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I think most of Mearl's tweet is garbage, especially the purported intentions of 3e and 4e, but if their 5e intent was to make a cakewalk game that ensures the party gets from plot point A to plot point Z, via a long winded adventure path, with a "strong narrative" to "enjoy", they succeeded.
Someone needs to start writing their own material and stop using adventure paths, methinks. ;)

cmad1977

Hero

Sounds like someone’s got a less than decent DM.

G

Guest 6801328

There are some games that I hate as much as [MENTION=93321]Psikerlord#[/MENTION] apparently hates 5e.

Strangely enough, I don't bother following any forums where those games are discussed.

Remove ads

Remove ads