Star Trek Discovery not getting any better I fear.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Wasn't the whole point of the (+) and (-) thread designations to specifically stop posts like this? Nice personal attack on everyone participating. :-/

Fair. I just don’t get it. I just don’t watch things I don’t like. But you’re right; I’ll leave you to it.

Hussar

Legend
[MENTION=2518]Derren[/MENTION], you’ve now spent two years doing nothing but complaining about how bad this show is. At what point does hate watching become pathological?

It’s not about not criticizing the show. We’ll all do that. But when a “fan” feels the need to take a weekly constitutional on every single episode, week in and week out without a single positive thing to say, well, at that point you become what Tor.com calls a fangoober.

Nagol

Unimportant
One thing about the dénouement of the season finale confuses me. In addition to time suits and time crystals, Spock recommends erasing Discovery and its spore drive from the records in order to prevent a recurrence of Control.

Why? The spore drive had no bearing on the discovery of time travel or Control so knowledge of its existence should do no harm. Did I miss some foundational relationship?

Indeed, its been established that if the mycelium network dies, all life in the galaxy will perish. Even if the drive is found to be mostly useless, requiring as it does a genetically altered human to operate, wouldn't it be prudent to maintain study of the network to detect if another civilization (in this dimension or a nearby one) is poisoning the network?
How does one go about hiding a foundational element of the universe anyway? There was something that caused it to be detected. That something isn't going to go away with anything less than Q-level power.

CapnZapp

Legend
[MENTION=2518]Derren[/MENTION], you’ve now spent two years doing nothing but complaining about how bad this show is. At what point does hate watching become pathological?

It’s not about not criticizing the show. We’ll all do that. But when a “fan” feels the need to take a weekly constitutional on every single episode, week in and week out without a single positive thing to say, well, at that point you become what Tor.com calls a fangoober.
Maybe start a new thread if you wish to discuss Derren rather than the show (and its flaws)?

MarkB

Legend
One thing about the dénouement of the season finale confuses me. In addition to time suits and time crystals, Spock recommends erasing Discovery and its spore drive from the records in order to prevent a recurrence of Control.

Why? The spore drive had no bearing on the discovery of time travel or Control so knowledge of its existence should do no harm. Did I miss some foundational relationship?

Discovery is a missing ship. The best way to stop people from pulling on that thread is for it to have never existed.

Hussar

Legend

Indeed, its been established that if the mycelium network dies, all life in the galaxy will perish. Even if the drive is found to be mostly useless, requiring as it does a genetically altered human to operate, wouldn't it be prudent to maintain study of the network to detect if another civilization (in this dimension or a nearby one) is poisoning the network?
How does one go about hiding a foundational element of the universe anyway? There was something that caused it to be detected. That something isn't going to go away with anything less than Q-level power.

You're presuming that the decision to erase Discovery and the spore drive from the records is based on any sort of in universe reason rather than pandering to the whiniest branch of fandom. Squeaky wheels and all that.

Zardnaar

Legend
I doubt is Hussar, the fact the federation isn't using spore drive ships in later Treks indicates the technology never became standard for whatever reason.

They would need to remove it, alternate universe it, or wipe out 50 odd years of Trek lore.

Part of the mess is apparently the way they split the Star trek license so the new movies and STD use separate licenses.

Remove ads