D&D 5E Better Fighter?

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
One problem: Skills.

Not only does the base Fighter lack in departments that aren't stabbing people, the subclasses don't get anything skill related until level 7? That seems late.
I do like the idea of fighters getting their hands on a form of expertise though.

Hillsy7

First Post
After the rousing discussion on the Building a better Fighter thread, I decided to try to make a better Fighter with the input of that thread.

Here is my idea, as well as my design notes for the decisions I've made.

Take a look and tell me it's awesome! (or it sucks butts...)

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BJX-IRuOXW

I appreciate the enthusiasm, but personally I'd remove the initial theory/justification part, or at least simply identify what you want to change, and not why. Reason being is I found myself interested in looking at your changes, but was then immediately put into a defensive frame of mind with being constantly told what is fun (inferring if I don't find that fun, I'm an idiot), and why I play a Fighter (and apparently, the only reason I want to play an eldrich knight). At the very least put it at the end, that way people can assess your ideas with a uncoloured view - I had to forcibly challenge my initial reactions to your changes because I fundamentally disagreed with your initial arguments.

Good design means you can read the reasoning behind the design (See for example how Cantrips work differently from melee attacks, and then how eldrich balst works differently and why only the warlock gets eldrich blast....You can understand the design decisions simply by comparing the rules.....).

Moving on - The core changes don't look too bonkers. Indomitable is potentially game breaking, especially for 2nd level (Level 30 evil wizard casts dominate person - Level 2 Fighter gives him the finger and leaves), and every short rest too....too powerful. Rerolls are established practise. Unyeilding is nearly broken.....1 alpha strike per combat on a class that already alpha strikes like no other, plus extra bonus actions for crossbowers.....so turn 1 that's potentially 10 attacks every combat with SS turned on, PLUS two lots of movement (to run further away from anything that might've surprised you), AND the enemy wizard going first can't stop you with Dominate person because of indomitable........At least before you just got an alpha strike or two per short rest for the BBEG.....now it's every fight. (Also complete munchkins might try to run away, stop combat, then run back in. Permanent alpha strike). But generally the lower level tweaks aren't terrifying.

Knight seems a little conditional - basically it fires if you ain't doing your job properly (locking down oppos)....also thematicaly it's a little belittling character wise ("I will train you!", "I'm a level 15 wizard FFS!"), but wording changes will probably fix that.

At level 10, that auto-success again....
At level 18 you're now using your reactions pretty much every turn to make an extra attack. Attacked by a group of high end monsters, you're potentially attacking 3-4 times, plus bonus action, PLUS two reactions outside of your turn. Every turn. You don't need anything other than a group of 6 knights and you'll just mincemeat everything in a few turns.

DaedalusX51

Explorer
I appreciate the enthusiasm, but personally I'd remove the initial theory/justification part, or at least simply identify what you want to change, and not why. Reason being is I found myself interested in looking at your changes, but was then immediately put into a defensive frame of mind with being constantly told what is fun (inferring if I don't find that fun, I'm an idiot), and why I play a Fighter (and apparently, the only reason I want to play an eldrich knight). At the very least put it at the end, that way people can assess your ideas with a uncoloured view - I had to forcibly challenge my initial reactions to your changes because I fundamentally disagreed with your initial arguments.

I'm sorry that it came across that way. That wasn't my intention. I just don't think that only dealing damage is interesting design or fun to play. I don't think you're an idiot, but if you wouldn't mind explaining why you enjoy more damage over round by round choice I would greatly appreciate it. I don't understand your Eldritch Knight comment. If you wouldn't mind explaining what you mean by that, it would be appreciated.

Good design means you can read the reasoning behind the design (See for example how Cantrips work differently from melee attacks, and then how eldrich balst works differently and why only the warlock gets eldrich blast....You can understand the design decisions simply by comparing the rules.....).

While I feel that I agree with you here, I've found that doesn't necessarily work out in practice. I've had to clarify design decisions when posting homebrew before, and I think this helps get an idea of what I was attempting to accomplish out of the gate. That way if I missed my mark, someone can always see what I was attempting to do and give me some clear pointers.

Moving on - The core changes don't look too bonkers. Indomitable is potentially game breaking, especially for 2nd level (Level 30 evil wizard casts dominate person - Level 2 Fighter gives him the finger and leaves), and every short rest too....too powerful. Rerolls are established practise. Unyeilding is nearly broken.....1 alpha strike per combat on a class that already alpha strikes like no other, plus extra bonus actions for crossbowers.....so turn 1 that's potentially 10 attacks every combat with SS turned on, PLUS two lots of movement (to run further away from anything that might've surprised you), AND the enemy wizard going first can't stop you with Dominate person because of indomitable........At least before you just got an alpha strike or two per short rest for the BBEG.....now it's every fight. (Also complete munchkins might try to run away, stop combat, then run back in. Permanent alpha strike). But generally the lower level tweaks aren't terrifying.

I actually had a section of the document that kind of dealt with these issues, but I removed it since I thought it would be easier to discuss in the thread. Regarding Crossbow Expert and Sharpshooter, those feats have issues and their problems should be fixed with errata (if Wizards ever decides to actually do a balance pass).

Regarding Action surge once per encounter, that is already possible at level 17 with the current Fighter. The only difference here is that the Fighter is no longer able to Action Surge twice in the same encounter, so this is effectively an offensive nerf while being a defensive buff.

Now I can see where Indomitable could be perceived as overpowered and I would be willing to make some changes. I just don't see how we can have features like Diamond Soul and Aura of Protection while the Fighter gets 3 levels of Indomitable. Do you think just changing it to a short rest reroll would be balanced, or do you have any other ideas?

Knight seems a little conditional - basically it fires if you ain't doing your job properly (locking down oppos)....also thematicaly it's a little belittling character wise ("I will train you!", "I'm a level 15 wizard FFS!"), but wording changes will probably fix that.

Yeah that wasn't my intention either. The hour of training was intended to represent creating a bond between the two characters.

At level 10, that auto-success again....
At level 18 you're now using your reactions pretty much every turn to make an extra attack. Attacked by a group of high end monsters, you're potentially attacking 3-4 times, plus bonus action, PLUS two reactions outside of your turn. Every turn. You don't need anything other than a group of 6 knights and you'll just mincemeat everything in a few turns.

While you do get extra circumstantial attacks at 15th level (only one per round, if that), the current Fighter gains a large portion of their damage from their subclass (21d12 or an average of 136.5 damage (Max 252) per day as a Battle Master and even more if using Precision Attack, Riposte, and Great Weapon Master). In addition, all of the reaction attacks have to be triggered by the enemy. This allows a DM to just play around the attacks if they so wish.

I really appreciate the comments btw.

Thanks

Hillsy7

First Post
First off apologies if that cam across a bit Brusque - I had half hour to kill in between meetings at work.

I'm sorry that it came across that way. That wasn't my intention. I just don't think that only dealing damage is interesting design or fun to play. I don't think you're an idiot, but if you wouldn't mind explaining why you enjoy more damage over round by round choice I would greatly appreciate it. I don't understand your Eldritch Knight comment. If you wouldn't mind explaining what you mean by that, it would be appreciated.

First off: Can you really not imagine a situation where someone piling on massive damage as they progress levels wouldn't be having a brilliant time? This is basically one of the reasons Sneak Attack progression has survived multiple iterations - a decent subset of players love grabbing and rolling loads of dice. I mean there's also a decent argument to be made that one of the great draws of the 5e fighter (Champion specific) now compared to 4e certainly, and 3/3.5e tangentially (Having to stack feats to get the one you want) is that it's simple to play and highly powered.

Personally, I'm with you - I like more options and would more than likely always play a Battlemaster Fighter. However, I know of players, and can easily imagine other types of players, where pure damage output is what gets them stoked - not choice, or options, or anything else. It's running up to the face of whatever it is that's against them, rolling, and wiping out a third of their HP. The point is, whether you intended to or not, you cannot understand why these people find it fun, and therefore it's not fun.

Eldrich knight comment: "What better way to capitalize on what the Eldritch Knight loves the most" on your post, which is I presume a reference to the Eldrich knight being able to cast cantrips as OAs - and then further compounded to why OAs are why I play a fighter in general. Personally in this case, OAs are pretty low down my reasons to play a fighter (Narrative, extra attacks, feats, fighting styles, and the fact the class doesn't get in the way of the character background, all rate miles above what I do on OAs). Now, if these were specific to me, meh, I can accept I'm my own personal case. Again, however, I know enough people, and can imagine a vast number of people, for who that is also the case.

That's not to say your evaluation of your own mind is incorrect or a wrong way of playing the game - it isn't. But your wording and presentation of why you are doing something is swapping your view of the class, for the truth about the class. That's going to put people who don't share your views in a defensive mindset straight off, and thereby you're not going to get objective feedback. Saying "I'd like to add this to the class because I like to play the game this way" - or "I've struggle to find a Fighter that suits my style of play, I want to play as a Fighter because [X], so here are the changes I'd like to make" - makes no judgement on the way other people play the game

While I feel that I agree with you here, I've found that doesn't necessarily work out in practice. I've had to clarify design decisions when posting homebrew before, and I think this helps get an idea of what I was attempting to accomplish out of the gate. That way if I missed my mark, someone can always see what I was attempting to do and give me some clear pointers.

One, that risks cognitive bias a bit - I come from a bit of a writing background and you don't get to say what you wanted to achieve with a scene. You don't get to have a discussion to make them change their mind to see it scene how you wanted to portray it. Especially not before they've even read the scene.

That's not to say dialogue isn't good, but the starting point should be from their reaction, and their reaction is correct and valid regardless of what your reasoning or intention was. That's also not to say you can't dismiss their viewpoint if you want to - it's entirely your prerogative to take onboard whatever feedback you want, or simply only listen to people who share your visions (It's generally accepted that a fantasy/sci-fi author is perfectly entitled to put more emphasis on feedback from sci-fi/fantasy fans and authors when workshopping books - it makes good sense to getting the output you want).

In this instance specifically, I simply meant I felt you should be reading peoples feedback and seeing how they felt this altered the class to see if it lined up with your intention, and then asking them why they thought as they did, to see if it married up with what you wanted to achieve.

I actually had a section of the document that kind of dealt with these issues, but I removed it since I thought it would be easier to discuss in the thread. Regarding Crossbow Expert and Sharpshooter, those feats have issues and their problems should be fixed with errata (if Wizards ever decides to actually do a balance pass).
Again - your opinion. I suspect plenty of people view CE and SS, GWM and PAM, and see no problem with balance in general, or Min/Maxing specific. Though granted it's one of the more accepted bugs in the rules......

Regarding Action surge once per encounter, that is already possible at level 17 with the current Fighter. The only difference here is that the Fighter is no longer able to Action Surge twice in the same encounter, so this is effectively an offensive nerf while being a defensive buff.
That's true - but Only if your players take short rests every 2 encounters. Not everyone plays this way. The DMG p.84 states, yes, probably 2-3 encounters per short rest. However, lots of little fights means you'll likely be piling through many more. At which point, having a feature that's only balanced if you play a certain way, isn't really balanced. Also purely from a design intention point of view, if you're getting Action Surge every fight, you're more inclined to use it every fight. If you know there's some calculus going on between how many fights, how many rests, and how many encounters before you really, really, really NEED it for the BBEG - that adds doubt meaning you'll use it less often in case the GM lobs the dragon at you before you get a chance to short rest....

Now I can see where Indomitable could be perceived as overpowered and I would be willing to make some changes. I just don't see how we can have features like Diamond Soul and Aura of Protection while the Fighter gets 3 levels of Indomitable. Do you think just changing it to a short rest reroll would be balanced, or do you have any other ideas?
1) Aura of protection and Diamond Soul ain't an auto-save, there is still a non-zero chance of failure. Advantage only works out on average as +3.5 do a d20 roll. If you are a fighter with Wis 4 against a DC 22 Wis save, realistically you need a crit - now you get an autosave. That's MASSIVE.
2) Diamond Soul and Aura of Protection are integral to the design concepts of the those classes. Indomitable is just a light reflection of the fact of you're used to pushing yourself a bit harder, and being a bit more heroic than your common sword swinger (level 0 fighter) - in other words, not all similar features have to be the same across classes. I mean, you can balance them, but then I'd suggest look at the imbalance of what the Fighter gets that's other classes don't (e.g free feats to take resiliant compared to the cost of Diamond Soul)
3) I think getting it earlier isn't a problem personally, neither is adding in as extra use. Once per short rest would probably be ok balance wise - maybe starting with once per long (level 1), then scaling to once per short rest, and finally regain 2 uses per long, once per short for the third tier. I don't feel that would be too crazy (as as you're going higher level, you're going to get enemies that spam saves more)

While you do get extra circumstantial attacks at 15th level (only one per round, if that), the current Fighter gains a large portion of their damage from their subclass (21d12 or an average of 136.5 damage (Max 252) per day as a Battle Master and even more if using Precision Attack, Riposte, and Great Weapon Master). In addition, all of the reaction attacks have to be triggered by the enemy. This allows a DM to just play around the attacks if they so wish.

While that is true - and to be fair I was rushing a tad at that point to complete my thought before the meeting started - it does still mean at level 18, a group of Knights is going to dominate battles in ways many other groups of classes can't - they already have more attacks as a base class, and now they get another 2 if the enemies attack anyone they can move to (presumably triggering OAs themselves which might trigger more Knight features.) I can't tell for sure if that's realistically an issue (I think a lot of people complain about high end powers not really having experienced them in as wide a range of game situations as is ideal), but this does raise a bit of a flag to me compared to other capstone abilities. That's my opinion thought....

Tony Vargas

Legend
I just don't think that only dealing damage is interesting design or fun to play. ... if you wouldn't mind explaining why you enjoy more damage over round by round choice I would greatly appreciate it.
Can you really not imagine a situation where someone piling on massive damage as they progress levels wouldn't be having a brilliant time?
I'm not sure how the negatives are meant to parse in that sentence, but, there are many circumstances were a character that gains little but scaling damage (which, let's face it, everyone does gain, in addition to other stuff), would miss out on some of the fun.
There are certainly players that go there on purpose, and it's an article of faith that they do so because they love doing damage so much and aren't interested in the rest of the game. I think it may often be more nuanced than that, though. In most eds of D&D, turn-based combat means that everyone gets to step up and do something in a fight, but, outside of that structure, it's tends towards whoever shouts at the best/first/lowdest idea to the DM is the one that gets stuff done (or instigates disaster, as the case may be). Individual tables can develop all sorts of specific styles or conventions or get in ruts around non-combat tasks in general, or around specific sorts of non-combat activities. If one player has found himself consistently edged out of or disinterested in the handling of non-combat (as he'd experienced it, when forming his impressions of the game), he might well choose characters who had nothing much to do in those situations, as a way of avoiding those issues, entirely. Thus we have the 'wake me up when the combat starts' player stereotype.

Designs like the classic fighter, Essentials Slayer and 5e Champion re-enforce that stereotype.

Which is convenient or horrible or both, depending on how you look at it....

... but, IMHO, unnecessary. There's nothing wrong with giving even a 'simple' class design stuff to do in all three pillars - just make it 'simple' stuff that still enables participation, and provide a structure in the other two pillars that gives everyone an equal shot at said participation.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Stream of conscientiousness read:

Unique core mechanic ... most classes don't have a primary focus around a unique mechanic. For example, most of the full casters are "I can cast spells, just like 2/3 of the other classes". Rogue SA is the only one I can think of. Sure there are plenty of smaller unique mechanics, like bardic inspiration, but having fun in a class is not about having to memorize a new subsystem.

Superiority dice ... issues with the gamist balance point of limited resources per rest. Some issues with overlap with feats and not handling it consistantly.

Action Surge - one of the most fun fighter abilities as well as most potent. Able to do what no others can (oh look, unique mechanic) and take advantage fo whatever fleeting optortunity there is, they can really bring home the bacon. It also already scales fantastically because every single other ability is a force multiplier for it. Comparing it's frequency to a much weaker power means nothing.

Meta-thought: Okay, I'm really finding myself on the defensive. So far, I don't find your design goals as adding, and in some cases subtracting, from the fighter. Instead of this, let's jump ahead to the action and see what's really there.

Class Identity - now this part I like. Strong subclass identity would be something I would enjoy for the fighter.

Unique Core Mechanic - oh my god. Reaction, already a hotly contested action resource, is where you want to hang your specialness? Okay, will read forward with the idea that I am already using a reaction two turns out of three between OAs and feats. So call it one reaction per combat I have to spare.

Indomitable - far too easy to cherry-pick, no one has a full negation that early. Heck, it takes a legendary creature to get an auto-succeed. Comparing it to a 14th level monk power that you need to spend a limited resource that competes with using that resource for offense, and still only gives a reroll, is just bonkers. Horrible power, and ridiculous level to get it at.

Action Surge & Double time - okay, not ruined, whew. Pretty good.

Unyielding - mechanically fine. But early on talking about superiority dice you focused on about how limited uses per rest doesn't fit the narrative, I don't get how doubling down with that type of usage fits your goals. Make it something else - you can benefit from extra uses but it costs HD or a level of exhaustion after the battle or something. Follow the goals you put out.

Ah, now the actual class breakout.

Combat reflexes at 9th - ah, two reactions a round. Fits well with the Extra Attack (2) and action surge - fighters are the best at getting actions.

Knight subclass

Knight's Charge - how does this work, are you shouting out a warning? Because that would give away your location if sneaking, etc. Do you need to be able to see them as well or does it work if you are blinded? How does this satisfy the "bigger numbers aren't fun"?

Knight's Intercept - ah, now we're getting to a real Knight Protector mechanic. Good, so the previous was just a set-up.

Noble Influence - No problems with the skills and possible expertise, though the UA abilities that give more are proficiency or expertise. However this gives more as well. Looks like it gives the help action, but you can be drunk and playing cards and they still get it. Not sure how that fits any narrative. If I thought granting two skills / expertise needed more power I might suggest allowing you to take the help action as a bonus action for your charge for any skill they are doing.

Knight's Inspiration - reasonable until you factor in the horrible mess of Indomitable, at which point it becomes unreasonable. Also, WHAT IS THE NARRATIVE? You talked about that earlier, and now you not only aren't following it but seem to intentionally be stomping it into the dust. "Well, an hour ago I saved vs. turning to stone, so now you auto save against this fireball."

Knight's Vengeance - I'm worried about this being too much of a multiplier since your attack already gets all the other boosts to attacks, but hey, it's high level, let's go for it.

Knight's Banner - excellent! this is thematic and fun. I'd probably make it an aura though, otherwise you can make an entire army your charge, have a weak ally cast a spell so you can make a save, and give 1000 men an auto-success on their next save.

Mercenary subclass

Versatile combatant - fine. Some may quibble that donnign a shield takes an action but I'm fine with ti. lets you go ranged then change to melee or adjust what you have. I like how it encourages you to think more then just "this is the oen weapon I use".

For the Right Price - same about the skills. Absolutely and completely not about the last ability. You don't get to magically (well, non-magically) put people out of business by doubling how much they have to pay out. Want advantage on rolls for pay, sure.

That was a mistake - Quite flavorful. I'd give this a slight buff so you don't lose it. "When you hit with a weapon or unarmed, you gain a damage bonus ...". Though in rereading it it seems to can save against something and say 'that was a mistake" to someone else. It's flavorful if it's whomever you just saved against.

Ready for action - just fine. Though amusingly if I have out a greataxe and you close with me, I can attack you with any of my weapons - except that greataxe. Seems to break narrative that I can't hit you with my ready weapon.

Kensei

Iaijutsu - like it. Might expand it to unarmed attacks as well - you can still parry a wolf's bite.

Of Mind & Mastery - come on, where's the narrative? where the idea "bigger numbers aren't fun". This fails your goals.

This isn't over - fine, unless you can auto-save on this with indominable, in which case no freaking way.

Scout

Duck and Cover - interesting.

Distraction - I know your 10th level are "succeed on save" abilities, but as a trigger it really makes no sense. Why is making your save, vs. anything else you do including failing your save, so distracting? And laser-focused distracting - it can distract multiple foes, but only in regards to a single ally. Again, what's the narrative, including why do similar narratives fail? This seems like you are trying to shoehorn it in to be the exact triggering mechanic even if that's not the best way to represent this ability.

====
Conclusion:

I like how you expanded out that fighters are the best at getting more actions.

I miss superiority dice. They are a unique fighter mechanic and the justification why they are no good you violate time and again in what you have here.

Indomitably needs to go away hard.

Many of these seems to be features that follow a mechanical vision but fail on your goal of providing a strong in-game narrative for how it works. If that's one of your goals (and I agree with it), then I'd revisit a number of these.

DaedalusX51

Explorer
I really appreciate the input! I haven't gone through a serious balance pass on this, so there are definitely things that are placeholder or unbalanced. I'll go over your thoughts with any comments I might have.

Stream of conscientiousness read:

Unique core mechanic ... most classes don't have a primary focus around a unique mechanic. For example, most of the full casters are "I can cast spells, just like 2/3 of the other classes". Rogue SA is the only one I can think of. Sure there are plenty of smaller unique mechanics, like bardic inspiration, but having fun in a class is not about having to memorize a new subsystem.

I would say that every class, for the most part, has one. Barbarian Rage, Bard Bardic Inspiration, Cleric Channel Divinity/Domains, Druid Wildshape, Fighter Action Surge?, Monk Martial Arts/Ki, Paladin Divine Smite/Auras/Divine Sense, Ranger Hunter's Mark/Natural Explorer, Rogue Sneak Attack, Sorcerer Metamagic, Warlock Patrons/Boons/Invocations, Wizard Spellbook/Specializations.

These are the things that make them stand out from other classes with similar styles: Wizards vs Sorcerers, Clerics vs Druids vs Bards vs Warlocks, Fighters vs Barbarians vs Rangers vs Paladins, and Rogues vs Monks.

It doesn't have to be complex, but just something that makes them different that they can make use of fairly often. While Action Surge is probably the intended unique mechanic, I personally find the lower frequency of use to be the major drawback. Any suggestions with that in mind?

Superiority dice ... issues with the gamist balance point of limited resources per rest. Some issues with overlap with feats and not handling it consistantly.

Action Surge - one of the most fun fighter abilities as well as most potent. Able to do what no others can (oh look, unique mechanic) and take advantage fo whatever fleeting optortunity there is, they can really bring home the bacon. It also already scales fantastically because every single other ability is a force multiplier for it. Comparing it's frequency to a much weaker power means nothing.

Meta-thought: Okay, I'm really finding myself on the defensive. So far, I don't find your design goals as adding, and in some cases subtracting, from the fighter. Instead of this, let's jump ahead to the action and see what's really there.

Class Identity - now this part I like. Strong subclass identity would be something I would enjoy for the fighter.

Unique Core Mechanic - oh my god. Reaction, already a hotly contested action resource, is where you want to hang your specialness? Okay, will read forward with the idea that I am already using a reaction two turns out of three between OAs and feats. So call it one reaction per combat I have to spare.

Indomitable - far too easy to cherry-pick, no one has a full negation that early. Heck, it takes a legendary creature to get an auto-succeed. Comparing it to a 14th level monk power that you need to spend a limited resource that competes with using that resource for offense, and still only gives a reroll, is just bonkers. Horrible power, and ridiculous level to get it at.

Yeah, I took Indomitable a little to far. Originally I changed it from a reroll to an auto success. I then wanted to condense it from three class features into one which is why I made it a short rest. I also originally had Combat Reflexes at 2nd level, but I swapped it with Indomitable since I thought that was a better alternative for multiclass balancing. However, it seems that Indomitable is a problem child in general and needs some extra design work.

Action Surge & Double time - okay, not ruined, whew. Pretty good.

Unyielding - mechanically fine. But early on talking about superiority dice you focused on about how limited uses per rest doesn't fit the narrative, I don't get how doubling down with that type of usage fits your goals. Make it something else - you can benefit from extra uses but it costs HD or a level of exhaustion after the battle or something. Follow the goals you put out.

So for me personally, I find that Action Surge, Indomitable, and Second Wind make sense narratively. All three are about pushing yourself farther, faster, harder than before, but once you do it, you need to spend an hour before you do it again.

Superiority Dice kind of hit a nerve with me because you have 4-6 uses of maneuvers that recover on a short rest. Why can't I continue to trip people as part of an attack? Does it represent stamina? Does it represent the enemies catching on to your tactics? In addition, many of the maneuvers are able to be replicated with feats that do not have limited uses. (Polearm Master reaction attack, Defensive Duelist parry, Shield Master shove, etc.) Why is there no limit to the amount of times we can do these maneuvers?

At 17th level Unyielding is pretty much an epic level feature. I specifically designed it this way because a never ending well of stamina seems like an epic level ability. Something that The Most Epic Fighters Of All Time would be able to accomplish. At this point Wizards are now able to cast spells like Meteor Swarm, Time Stop, and Wish.

I understand that we all have different levels on where we can suspend our disbelief and I think this is key to having a good roleplaying game. I think the backlash from 4E wasn't just because it was different, but because the mechanical implementation didn't match the story in many cases. In fact a good section of the 4E player base believed that it was best to ignore a power's "fluff" and instead create your own. They started to reverse that trend in 4E with the Essentials line, but abandoned that as well to instead make a new edition.

It's easy when designing something to be caught up in the gameplay loop and create features that do not have good narrative explanations. I personally feel that this is a failing in game design, and it's best to go back to the drawing board to create a better feature. (It looks like I'm going to be doing that a lot here! :cool:)

Ah, now the actual class breakout.

Combat reflexes at 9th - ah, two reactions a round. Fits well with the Extra Attack (2) and action surge - fighters are the best at getting actions.

Knight subclass

Knight's Charge - how does this work, are you shouting out a warning? Because that would give away your location if sneaking, etc. Do you need to be able to see them as well or does it work if you are blinded? How does this satisfy the "bigger numbers aren't fun"?

Knight's Intercept - ah, now we're getting to a real Knight Protector mechanic. Good, so the previous was just a set-up.

Noble Influence - No problems with the skills and possible expertise, though the UA abilities that give more are proficiency or expertise. However this gives more as well. Looks like it gives the help action, but you can be drunk and playing cards and they still get it. Not sure how that fits any narrative. If I thought granting two skills / expertise needed more power I might suggest allowing you to take the help action as a bonus action for your charge for any skill they are doing.

Knight's Inspiration - reasonable until you factor in the horrible mess of Indomitable, at which point it becomes unreasonable. Also, WHAT IS THE NARRATIVE? You talked about that earlier, and now you not only aren't following it but seem to intentionally be stomping it into the dust. "Well, an hour ago I saved vs. turning to stone, so now you auto save against this fireball."

Good point on these narrative issues. For both of these features I meant for them to happen for the same effect or social encounter. I will have to add more stipulations for it to make sense, but the general idea is leading by example. The ability to inspire the ally that you have bonded to.

Knight's Vengeance - I'm worried about this being too much of a multiplier since your attack already gets all the other boosts to attacks, but hey, it's high level, let's go for it.

Knight's Banner - excellent! this is thematic and fun. I'd probably make it an aura though, otherwise you can make an entire army your charge, have a weak ally cast a spell so you can make a save, and give 1000 men an auto-success on their next save.

Good point. I never considered the implications of that. If I nerf Indomitable back to a reroll and put a party size or distance cap on it, would that be better? (However I do like the idea of a dragon attacking an army led by a knight and them all defending against dragon fear or a breath weapon attack once in the encounter. Awesome, but probably OP.)

Mercenary subclass

Versatile combatant - fine. Some may quibble that donnign a shield takes an action but I'm fine with ti. lets you go ranged then change to melee or adjust what you have. I like how it encourages you to think more then just "this is the oen weapon I use".

For the Right Price - same about the skills. Absolutely and completely not about the last ability. You don't get to magically (well, non-magically) put people out of business by doubling how much they have to pay out. Want advantage on rolls for pay, sure.

Yeah, I was actually going to rework Dior the Right Price, but I didn't cause it was late when I decided to post this.

That was a mistake - Quite flavorful. I'd give this a slight buff so you don't lose it. "When you hit with a weapon or unarmed, you gain a damage bonus ...". Though in rereading it it seems to can save against something and say 'that was a mistake" to someone else. It's flavorful if it's whomever you just saved against.

That was unintentional. I left the wording open ended, but the idea was to retaliate against the attacker.

Ready for action - just fine. Though amusingly if I have out a greataxe and you close with me, I can attack you with any of my weapons - except that greataxe. Seems to break narrative that I can't hit you with my ready weapon.

That is true. I imagined the Mercenary to be a STR/DEX Fighter. Initiating combat with a ranged weapon and only switching when engaged/disengaged.

Kensei

Iaijutsu - like it. Might expand it to unarmed attacks as well - you can still parry a wolf's bite.

Of Mind & Mastery - come on, where's the narrative? where the idea "bigger numbers aren't fun". This fails your goals.

I'm kind of sad that you didn't like this one. The Kensai used to get an escalating attack bonus to hit every few levels. I've reduced the bonus to a +1 (due to bounded accuracy) but gave additional chance to hit here. In addition, the advantage can be used on an Iaijutsu deflect since it is also a weapon attack.

This isn't over - fine, unless you can auto-save on this with indominable, in which case no freaking way.

Seems you missed a few abilities or something got messed up since this is the Mercenary capstone.
While you are correct that Indomitable could be used on this ability, I had assumed that players would do everything they can to not die before they would get to that point (ie using indomitable during that fight).

I should probably change it so that you do not regain consciousness for 1 hour.

Scout

Duck and Cover - interesting.

Distraction - I know your 10th level are "succeed on save" abilities, but as a trigger it really makes no sense. Why is making your save, vs. anything else you do including failing your save, so distracting? And laser-focused distracting - it can distract multiple foes, but only in regards to a single ally. Again, what's the narrative, including why do similar narratives fail? This seems like you are trying to shoehorn it in to be the exact triggering mechanic even if that's not the best way to represent this ability.

Yeah this one sucks. I had all of the mechanics done for this subclass except for this ability. I couldn't think of anything better at the time so I just threw it in here.

====
Conclusion:

I like how you expanded out that fighters are the best at getting more actions.

I miss superiority dice. They are a unique fighter mechanic and the justification why they are no good you violate time and again in what you have here.

Indomitably needs to go away hard.

Many of these seems to be features that follow a mechanical vision but fail on your goal of providing a strong in-game narrative for how it works. If that's one of your goals (and I agree with it), then I'd revisit a number of these.

Thanks for all the input. I agree with most if not all of your comments.

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
Superiority Dice kind of hit a nerve with me because you have 4-6 uses of maneuvers that recover on a short rest. Why can't I continue to trip people as part of an attack? Does it represent stamina? Does it represent the enemies catching on to your tactics?
Sure, whichever one works for you. ;)

I understand that we all have different levels on where we can suspend our disbelief and I think this is key to having a good roleplaying game.
I think it's key to having a good player. Can you suspend your disbelief? Can you respect other people's suspension of disbelief, or do you throw a fit? Or do you break the unwritten 'don't be a jerk' rule?
I think the backlash from 4E wasn't just because it was different, but because the mechanical implementation didn't match the story in many cases. In fact a good section of the 4E player base believed that it was best to ignore a power's "fluff" and instead create your own.
IDK about 'best,' but the flavor text of a power was explicitly something the player could customize, if they wanted to (per the section on reading powers - much like being able to describe your character's appearance and gear how you liked, which started, in 3.0), they just couldn't change the mechanics. In that way, you could match the 'narrative' you wanted for your character to whatever power seemed closest to the mechanics you felt best fit that narrative - they only 'didn't match' if you (a) couldn't come up with anything that worked for you and (b) took that power anyway.

OTOH, if you were OK with the given fluff, you left it alone. :shrug:

It's really a lot like 5e, that way, just instead of being in the players' hands, in 5e, that flexibility is exclusively in the DM's hands, and, instead of being just the fluff of one character that can be changed at whim, it's everything. ;D

They started to reverse that trend in 4E with the Essentials line
Not really, the 'reading powers' section was never repealed or anything, though they did give martial classes far fewer powers...

... really, the issue of 'dissociated mechanics' - which is what you were dancing around - is not about mechanics nor about dissociation, it's about martial characters getting to do stuff other than just damage every round, and thus having the potential to be as interesting and versatile as casters.

Why that's intollerable isn't worth discussing, but it is, to a large/loud/uncompromising enough segment of the fanbase that 5e didn't go there. FWIW.

When designing a variant to use at you own table, though, you can totally go there.

While Action Surge is probably the intended unique mechanic, I personally find the lower frequency of use to be the major drawback. Any suggestions with that in mind?
MDD's from the playtest had a lot of potential. [MENTION=57494]Xeviat[/MENTION] has an idea for adding weapon-damage dice with level instead of getting extra attack, and trading in dice if you want to attack more than one target, or perform maneuvers... I believe that, like playtest MMDs, that'd be at-will.

Yeah, I took Indomitable a little to far. Originally I changed it from a reroll to an auto success. I then wanted to condense it from three class features into one which is why I made it a short rest. I also originally had Combat Reflexes at 2nd level, but I swapped it with Indomitable since I thought that was a better alternative for multiclass balancing. However, it seems that Indomitable is a problem child in general and needs some extra design work.
Proficiency on more saves as you level up seems like a simple way to get the idea across. Combat Reflexes: prof w/DEX saves. Indomitable: prof w/ WIS & CHA saves.

Last edited:

hastur_nz

First Post
Yes to the feedback above, People play Fighters for a variety of reasons, especially in 5e the class is very broad and can appeal to all kinds of player types.

I think if you are going to ape the PHB format, start with the actual Class Writeup, and keep all the "design notes" as an appendix of sorts, in a noticeably different format.

I like 5e fighters, of all sorts, so I don't see anything in the base class here, that enhances the existing base Fighter; if anything, I think your 'fixes' make it worse due to imbalance.

Which leaves us with the Subclasses (Martial Archetypes) - they are OK, but also feel a bit over-powered in places. Personally I'm not seeing a compelling choice if I put my players hat on, although Knight is kind of appealing as it tries to be a bit like the 3.5 Knight and 4e Defender. But I'm not feeling these Subclasses as superior to those in PHB, just potentially interesting additions.

That's all my feedback - to me, it shows how 5e isn't as broken as some might try to make out, and creating fixes that are actually better in game play isn't that easy.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases