D&D 5E Anti-DM Tips (AKA what NOT to do!)

Schmoe

Adventurer
52. Once the session is over tell them that you don't expect the party to be a place where a new character can be introduced for several more sessions, but that you expect them to keep attending and doing nothing while there.

And since they won't be playing, they will be expected to take thorough campaign notes and keep the drinks filled.

23. Periodically, roll a whole bunch of dice behind a screen, look at the dice with a furrowed brow while muttering under your breath, "Oh no, oh no, that's really ... just ... not good."

If a player asks you about this, laugh maniacally and say, "Never mind. No big deal ... I mean ... don't worry about it."

Repeat 3 times each hour.

Sadly enough, I feel the need to do this next session!!!

btw...Kudos to the threadmaker on this one, I have never laughed so hard!

Last edited:

60. Over describe every possible scene,battle, and character reactions, with as many adjectives, commentary, and any other nonsensical stuff to slow down the characters progress in the game to a screeching halt, so a introductory scene in a tavern takes all night to complete, AKA "Matt Mercer-ing" a game!

Last edited:

Gavin O.

First Post
61. Run a campaign which assumes the players will take notes to understand what's going on and solve puzzles, but don't let them know until they run into the puzzle the were supposed to have taken notes for.

Last edited:

rgoodbb

Adventurer
62. Tell your players a pair of Goblin ears will earn them 2 cp per pair.

After killing 10 Goblins: "You find a pouch containing 750 gp."

MarkB

Legend
63. Let the most eloquent player talk you into allowing their character to accomplish unusual tasks without even rolling for it, especially things that other players have specifically taken feats or skills to allow their characters to attempt.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
A gem from my past bad ideas.

35. Reverse inspiration. Players aren't role playing the way you want them to? That player has a reverse inspiration, giving a random monster of your choosing Advantage against them.

I am using a version of this right now!

Tia Nadiezja

First Post
64. Watch your players very carefully. Learn which parts of your campaign, and the game as a whole, that they are most interested in, and the parts that don't interest them at all. They just want to fight the monsters and come home to boast about their deeds? Great, figure that out.

Then emphasize the parts they like least and deemphasize the parts they like most. That same group? Make them spend most of a session in town figuring out where the adventure's going to be. Maybe thrown them a bone at the end with a trivial encounter in the wilderness. Then, next session do a hardcore hex crawl exploration thing with huge detail to your expansive landscape. The next four sessions, of course, are the dungeon, with 1-2 short encounters every six-hour game and just all sorts of mapping and traps. The final, climactic encounter is a skill challenge. When they finally get back to town, and are at the tavern ready to boast of their accomplishments, abruptly call adventure end, hand them note cards with their XP and treasure and downtime, and walk out without another word.

Tia Nadiezja

First Post
65. "You can't do that. It's not realistic." Make that your catchphrase. Especially good if you focus it on the basic concepts of your players' characters, and you preferentially apply it to only certain players.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases