What are you reading [May 2017]?

Elodan

Adventurer
Finished The Force Awakens by Alan Dean Foster. Did a nice job fleshing out the movie. Will be reading the short stories in the book and then moving on to Bound by Benedict Jacka (the 8th Alex Verus novel).

I've chosen to finally finish Expert Cube Development with Analysis Services (Chris Webb and Marco Russo) as my downstairs read too see what tricks they have for performance improvements.

Jhaelen

First Post
I started reading 'Song of Time' by Ian R. MacLeod. It appears to be quite an unusual sci-fi novel written in a remarkably beautiful literary style. It's written from the view-point of a centenarian violinist who's preparing for her 'second life' (as an artificial construct created from her memories) when she finds a mysterious young man who's been washed ashore. Not sure yet where this will all lead, but it's quite moving.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Will be reading the short stories in the book and then moving on to Bound by Benedict Jacka (the 8th Alex Verus novel).

I'm on the 6th Alex Verus and have 7 & 8 sitting over there taunting me.

Nellisir

Hero
Based on comments here, I decided to pick up The Fifth Season, by NK Jemisin. I really like her stuff, so was a bit surprised I hadn't read it already.

And yeah, turns out I did.

Fortunately, I also got Book 2, so I'll read that. I also have to check my boxes and find the first copy so I can return the second copy and get something else - probably one of the two Guy Gavriel Kay books I haven't read. ;)

Finished V.E. Schwab's A Gathering of Shadows. Really enjoyed it – it was the kind of book that as the page count was winding down, I just wanted there to be a few more. Now I’m starting Talidor’s Guest, a gift from my brother.

Richards

Legend
I just started The Killer Angels, a Civil War novel by Michael Shaara that my son's been telling me I need to read for years now. I'm not the history buff he is, so I'm mainly reading it because it was an inspiration for Joss Whedon's Firefly - and I've already learned that Jubal Early was a historical figure from the Civil War. I, of course, associate that name with the bounty hunter who was after River Tamm in Firefly.

I'm reading a Civil War novel without any interest in Civil War novels - does that seem right to you?

Johnathan

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I'm reading a Civil War novel without any interest in Civil War novels - does that seem right to you?

My favorite book are about people. I like (for instance) hard SF, space opera, and space navel warfare, but I also like 20-minutes-into-the-future which is a lot closer. Civil War is like that, a lot closer then your normal habits. but if it's got an enjoyable plot, believable characters, and decent wordsmithing, why not enjoy it.

(Of course, if it doesn't have those, then it's hard to read even if it's a favored genre.)

Finished L. Sprague De Camp's The Fallible Fiend. A fun, light read that definitely skewers human foibles and fantasy tropes. Now I'm hitting Sir Terry's A Hat Full of Sky.

Remove ads