Harassment At PaizoCon 2017

In our post-Harvey Weinstein world, more and more people in the various entertainment industries are coming forward with allegations of abuse and harassment, both sexual and psychological. The tabletop gaming industry isn't isolated from this wave of revelation as incidents surface, and will likely continue to surface about professionals, and fans, within the gaming communities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
In our post-Harvey Weinstein world, more and more people in the various entertainment industries are coming forward with allegations of abuse and harassment, both sexual and psychological. The tabletop gaming industry isn't isolated from this wave of revelation as incidents surface, and will likely continue to surface about professionals, and fans, within the gaming communities.

Stories of harassment within tabletop gaming, at conventions and stores, and even in local gaming groups are nothing new. That is probably the saddest fact of this whole thing: that despite stories being brought to light, not only does harassment continue to happen but the existence of it continues to be denied by some. This denial is one of the factors that allows abuse and harassment to continue within tabletop RPGs.

Allegations of improper behavior at the 2017 PaizoCon by Frog God Games CEO Bill Webb were brought to life by Pathfinder content creator Robert Brookes. Brookes was attending PaizoCon and has written for Paizo and Legendary Games, among others. In an incident involving alcohol, Webb allegedly sexually harassed another guest at the convention and when a staffer attempted to intervene and injury occurred with the staffer.

In a thread about harassment and abuse on gaming forum RPGNet, Frog God Games partner Matt Finch, creator of the Swords & Wizardry retroclone, confirmed that the incident with Webb occurred, and revealed some details about an internal investigation that the partners of Frog God Games conducted into the incident:

"I am Matt Finch, the partner of Frog God Games appointed by the partners to investigate a sexual harassment complaint filed against Mr. Webb at PaizoCon 2017. Mr. Webb was not consulted by the partners on this decision. Due to recent accusations made on Twitter by a third party, I will outline the aspects of the situation to the extent that they do not compromise the confidentiality of the person who filed the report, I will describe the nature of our internal investigation, and will also address the recently-raised tweets by Robert Brookes on his twitter feed. This report will not necessarily be updated; it stands for itself at the time of posting, based on the knowledge I currently have.

"First, it is correct that a complaint was filed with Paizo at PaizoCon against Bill. I was made aware of this by phone on the day it happened (I was not present at the convention). Frog God is aware of the identity of the person who made the complaint, because they spoke to three of our partners at the convention after the event. We have not been invited to share that person’s identity, and although we are not under legal obligation to protect that confidentiality we have elected to respect that person’s desire not to have the event brought into the spotlight.

"Gathering information in a situation like this is necessarily limited due to Paizo’s own confidentiality obligations. To assemble information, I spoke to the three partners who had talked with the person who filed the complaint, and obtained their accounts of what they were told. Secondhand accounts are not perfect, and I had to weigh that against the fact that an attorney making direct contact with someone who has filed such a report can be seen as a threat or intimidation, and weighing those two issues, I chose to rely on a comparison of the conversations between the individual and our partners, plus Paizo’s own resolution of the matter at the time, plus a necessarily-cautious review of Bill’s account. There has been contact between the person who filed the complaint and Frog God partners since the event, and I will provide a screenshot of one such communication with the name redacted. I believe the screenshot provides a great deal of clarification.

"Reducing the event to a level that will maintain confidentiality, my understanding based on my investigation was that Bill Webb took an action and engaged in speech that could be construed as a sexual advance or as gender-dismissive.

"In consequence of this finding, I and another senior partner of the company had a meeting with Mr. Webb about expectations, standards of behavior, and future protocol. We addressed that one’s lack of bad intentions does not excuse problematic behavior.

"Some people have asked that Mr. Webb acknowledge and apologize for the situation. Bill does deeply regret his actions, and understands that they were inappropriate and upsetting. I have told Mr. Webb not to contact the person directly, for the same reason that I have not done so myself: the potential for that contact to appear intimidating or threatening. However, at whatever time the person lets us know that a direct apology from Mr. Webb would be welcomed, that apology will be immediately forthcoming. Mr. Webb is also under instruction not to discuss this matter in public, in case peripheral details were to be inadvertently disclosed that might allow the identification of the person by another party. This is also the reason we chose to have me, as the investigating partner, write the public report, given that a report has become necessary in response to a recent description of the event on Twitter."

We reached out to Webb for comment upon this incident, and we were directed to the RPGNet post by Finch. This is the company's official statement on what happened at PaizoCon. Whether or not there will be further repercussions within Frog God Games due to this incident and Webb's actions remain to be seen.

Paizo CEO Lisa Stevens has released an official statement on the incident on the Paizo forums. When EN World reached out to Paizo for official comment, we were directed to this statement:

"My name is Lisa Stevens and I am the CEO and owner of Paizo Inc. Events of the past few weeks have compelled me to make this statement.

"My company will never condone any sexual harassment or assault against any of our employees, male or female. We will never condone any sexual harassment or assault against any of our customers on paizo.com or at sanctioned organized play activities. Whenever I hear any allegations of sexual harassment or assault related to Paizo’s activities, I always immediately drop whatever I'm doing and I make getting to the bottom of these issues my top priority. We have banned people from paizo.com. We have banned people from participating in our organized play activities. We have stopped doing business with individuals. And we will continue to do so.
"As a woman and a survivor of sexual harassment, sexual assault, and rape, I know what it is like to be on the receiving end of these attacks. I know what it is like to feel the shame, the terror, how it changes your life forever. And because of this, I will never stand for my company to condone this behavior.

"Paizo’s employees are encouraged to come forward with any allegations of sexual harassment or assault and let a manager know as soon as possible. If criminal activities have taken place, they are encouraged to report it to the police and take legal action against the perpetrator. We have asked our employees to not engage in explosive and angry dialogue on paizo.com. We want our website to be a place where our customers feel safe and among friends. If there is problem on paizo.com, then our community team will handle it and, where appropriate, ban the perpetrator.

"In closing, you have my word that I have zero tolerance for sexual harassment and assault, and the same is true of Paizo. Please be aware that we treat these issues with tremendous sensitivity, and only disclose the specifics and resolutions of any such incidents on a need-to-know basis, even within Paizo or with our legal counsel. We do not and will not discuss these matters publicly. Every instance that I am aware of has been thoroughly investigated, and appropriate actions have been taken or are in the process of being taken. You have my word on this."

Unrelated to the PaizoCon incident, Brookes also revealed an incident of harassment within the Pathfinder Society organized play program. When a volunteer staffer reported this incident, their supervisor informed them that an NDA they had signed to be part of the program would not allow her to discuss this incident. Paizo has not officially commented on this incident or commented on whether or not there is an investigation into it.

If tabletop role-playing games are truly going to be an inclusive, we have to be better about not just reporting incidents of abuse and harassment but being dedicated to creating spaces that are safe and free of harassment of our fellow gamers. We also need to shine a spotlight onto the incidents of harassment that occur, it is the responsibility of journalists, bloggers and gamers to do this and let people know that their actions will come to light and that they will be held responsible. It is also important to not just talk about those parts of the gaming communities that we don't agree with, but to also bring to light the improper actions of those companies and communities with whom we do agree, because unless every act of harassment is revealed there will be no change within our communities.

Remember that EN World is an inclusive community.
[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

mudbunny

Community Supporter
Look if a Player wants their PC to abuse children then what the heck is going to stop them? Yeah thats right, the DM.

Because I am sorry but if your character is able to put the smack down on Giants and Dragons then what mechanics do you need to abuse a level 0 child? And if you think you do need mechanics then Charm Person starts from level 1 and you dont even need Demons to get it.

Repeating "We can do some bad things, so all bad things are acceptable" over and over and ignoring the varied and different points that people are making when saying why the stat block for Falco is bad comes across as just a little bit intellectually dishonest. Now, you may honestly not be grokking the point that people are making, and that's OK. But, for many, many people, myself included, going from a vague description to a statblock that includes increasing charisma for raping kids is well over the line.

Elodan

Adventurer
Thank you very much for sharing your perspective and experience. Well said, and I applaud you. I'd heard about the Frog God ad, but hadn't seen it. Thank you for sharing it. Seeing what a company actually does says a lot more about them than just reading their press releases...

According to Matt Finch of Frog God Games, the timing of the ad was a messed up coincidence.
https://www.froggodgames.com/forum/response-frog-god-games-events-social-media

Waiting to see what Paizo and Frog God actually do about this before adding them to my do not buy list, but am so far disappointed by the lack of more forthcoming responses to this.

pming

Legend
Hiya!

Well, for my 2¢, I'm going to have to take this whole thing the way I did the "racist Chult thing"; which is basically: ...shrug...

Don't really care, sorry.

WHOA! Before everyone burns me at the stake, let me explain why I'm being so seemingly 'monsterous' in my reaction. The simple fact is that it boils down to this: until actual criminal charges are brought, it MUST, by default, fall into the "not serious enough" catagory. If all that the 'rpg community' does is accuse, then back off, then say sorry, then there are a couple of things going on.

First is that these types of incidents obviously were NOT serious enough to warrant getting the police and the legal system involved. Because of that, it's basically a "my feelings were hurt" or a "he said, she said" school-yard drama. If the police were called, would they have arrested him for the accusation at hand?...or just for being drunk in public? As [MENTION=6779420]Guang[/MENTION] said back on page 4, if someone's livelihood and families well-being is at hand...some serious :):):):) had better have gone down. Otherwise it's like a trio of teenage girls claiming some male teacher they don't like "touched them inappropriately"...meaning the teachers career is ruined, regardless of if any of it was true or not, or how serious or not it was.

Second, IF this WAS a fully police-actionable offense, and the police weren't involved...then this sort of thing happening at game conventions is never going to end/change! Again...we are back into the school-yard drama section.

You all want to stop this kind of harassment? DON'T FULLY SUPPORT SOMEONE WHO IS HARASSED AND THEN DOES NOTHING ABOUT IT! Ergo... "...shrug... I don't care". Now, IF she changes her mind and brings charges against him with all the evidence and testimony of those involved, I will be the first one in line to toss a couple hundred bucks into her GoFundMe legal fund. Until that happens, we, as a society, MUST simply take it as "Well...another drunk :):):):):):):) :):):):)s up and gives men, gamers and conventions a bad name. Way to go Bill...ya dick. Sorry you were the target of that, BJ, hope it never happens again".

Ok...now you can get out the tar, feathers, pitchforks, oil and torches. I'm ready. Let 'er rip!

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Elf_flambe

Explorer
According to Matt Finch of Frog God Games, the timing of the ad was a messed up coincidence.

Waiting to see what Paizo and Frog God actually do about this before adding them to my do not buy list, but am so far disappointed by the lack of more forthcoming responses to this.

Yes, I read Matt's statement, and hoped that meant they were doing things behind-the-scenes to address Bill's behavior. But now that I actually see the "ad", it seems more like a middle finger to the industry and those taking Bill to task for his actions. And if it's an ad, what is it advertising? I see no product or campaign mentioned. All I see is Bill saying, "Don't mess with me -- I'll do what I want". So calling it an ad would be disingenuous on Matt's part, at best. And that puts a whole different spin on things.

Doesn't mean I'm ready to march on FG HQ with flaming torches, but it does make me reevaluate whether I want to back their Rappan Athuk maps Kickstarter right now. They'll probably be add-ons to their upcoming 5E RA Kickstarter, anyway. So I'll wait and see. Maybe the path their company will follow will become clearer shortly.

God

Adventurer
Edit: Missed the timing. Oh well. I'll just say, Nicole is good goldurn people. And I appreciate the mea culpas from Shemeska and JJ. Doesn't fix the thing - - I mean, why in the good G-D F do we even have to discuss game mechanics for child abuse? - - but it's the apology that can be made.

Last edited by a moderator:

Even if it was a coincidence in timing, I doubt the ad was created and scheduled 5 months ago before PaizoCon. So even after this incident happened, and there was a formal report against Bill, and an internal investigation involving the partners of the company - they still felt it was something to make a joke about.

So, maybe the timing was terribly coincidental. That doesn’t change the fact that they still “took this seriously” with an internal investigation... and then still decided to make this joke.

Edit to add: However, I don’t mean to sound like I’m jumping on you. It’s more aimed at them for claiming it was just a bad coincidence so not a big deal. That’s pretty pathetic. But as for you and everyone else’s decision to support them or not - I agree. That is a personal decision to make since there are competing issues like freelancers that depend on the work, etc. I just didn’t want to sound like I was attacking you - just their ridiculous “it was just a coincidence, mkay?” claim.

Last edited by a moderator:

Henry

Autoexreginated
For me, it goes even more elementary than harassment and assault -- it's someone screwing with someone else for their own enjoyment, at the expense of the other person, and this pisses me off.
We're GAMERS, for the love of God! Our SOLE MISSION at these cons is to engage with others to have a fun time! The core of that is respecting someone else's feelings and space! And some people can't even manage THAT for a couple of days!

I've gamed with quite a lot of people from these forums (and Circvs, particularly); the majority of people are pretty decent people, a blast to hang out with, and yes, some will drink, some quite a lot, but in the end know when to hit their limit, when to shut up, and when to go to bed before they do anything stupid. We will run into jerks now and again -- and more rarely some really despicable characters from whom we disassociate with completely. If you can't learn basic boundaries around other people, and learn when you are doing something that is screwing with someone else's fun, I don't need you in my life, and I dare say the majority of people here don't need you either.

Heavy drinking is not an excuse, "political incorrectness" is not an excuse, "growing up in a different era" is not an excuse -- it shouldn't have been an excuse back then, either -- if any of these ends in unwanted physical contact, your good time ends where another person's begins. Walking away is ALWAYS an option rather than doing something that hurts another person.

I'm just stunned at the depth to which some things have gone, right under my nose, really. Maybe it's willful ignorance on my part, but I don't remember ever seeing these stories first-hand, I usually hear about them after the fact.

Hussar

Legend
Hiya!
/snip

Paul L. Ming

You do realize that harassment isn't necessarily a criminal offense right? That there are differing levels of harassment and that those different levels would be dealt with differently? The police would only likely get involved if there was a credible threat to someone's safety (and since security had already nipped that in the bud, apparently, there wasn't). However, that's not the be all and end all of harassment.

Good grief, we have a pretty open and shut case right here, and people STILL don't want to do anything about it. HE ADMITTED HE WAS WRONG. There's no question here. He ADMITTED to harassing this woman. It was WITNESSED by several people.

I mean, sheesh, just how much evidence do you need? And, no, it does NOT require the victim to bring charges before it can be actioned.

Seriously, holy crap. Everyone involved bloody well agrees what happened. There is ZERO question about that. So, shrugging it off because, "Well, she didn't complain very loudly, so, it must not be a big deal" is about the douchiest reaction in this thread. And that's saying a LOT.

MechaPilot

Explorer
You know,

When I was a little girl, I was always taught that standing up for someone who was being bullied, harassed, insulted or assaulted for anything other than the content of his/her character was simply basic human decency and doing the right thing. It makes me very sad to see empathy, compassion, selflessness and standing up for the dignity and rights of others to be commonly derided (so much that it's been given a label to make it easier to demean that behaviour: "white knighting." A name that's all the more ironic when used by fantasy gamers because paladins are often held up as paragons of virtue and champions of good in fantasy gaming, and not as "white knights." If anything, paladins in fantasy gaming are complained about for being self-righteous jerks, not for standing up for others).

It also makes me sad to, once again, see the same kind of thinking that led another poster in the previous harassment thread to say I would be disrespecting men by wearing a skirt to a game.

It is nice to see the positive comments, but we're only about 100 posts in and the thread is relatively new. I'm sure the more horrible stuff will be coming down the pipe any hour now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads