D&D 5E Realistic Shields - New, Revised and Immersive

Weren’t shields and plate armor rarely used together? Or was that more because of the larger weapons required when fighting someone on plate?
Pretty much yes. Halberds, poleaxes and other very hard-hitting weapons were generally preferred to beat plate, and most other weapons were ineffective enough that a shield wouldn't add much to their defence.

This was a fairly major revolution in protection, since before plate, even most armoured warriors relied more on their shield than their armour for protection.

James Dodds

First Post
This material is solely for shields, so I will not be updating the AC other races or different equipment. Maybe as an extension or complimentary document/article but that will only be when this is further polished.

James Dodds

First Post
I would go with a shield giving +3 AC if no armor/light armor. +2 AC for medium armor, +1 AC for heavy armor.

Buckler could be +1 AC for no armor/light armor only.

This would entirely depend on the types of the shield someone used. Because the way my material works right now is different benefits/requirements for different types of shield.

If you get back to me here and further clarify what type of shields you mean then id be happy to consider implementing later

James Dodds

First Post
Sorry for the lateness, issues with life and these updates took longer to decide and implement than I thought.

I hope you enjoy, please rate and review on the product page if you have not already :)

akr71

Hero
I like it! Its a short, easy to understand and easy to implement supplement. Few of my players (currently none) use shields, but that doesn't mean that my NPCs and villains can't start using shields the way you've laid out.

Looking forward to seeing what the 'Fear Compatibility' section looks like.

James Dodds

First Post
I like it! Its a short, easy to understand and easy to implement supplement. Few of my players (currently none) use shields, but that doesn't mean that my NPCs and villains can't start using shields the way you've laid out.

Looking forward to seeing what the 'Fear Compatibility' section looks like.

Feat Compatibility you mean :p

This will include how the current "Shield Master" feat works with my supplement!

Thank you for your positive reception friend :)

Ganymede81

First Post
I can't wait until someone reminds us that ring mail is not a real type of armor. It is always my favorite part of these equipment nerd-outs.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I can't wait until someone reminds us that ring mail is not a real type of armor. It is always my favorite part of these equipment nerd-outs.

Studded leather is a far greater offender - hardly anyone uses ringmail in D&D while studded leather is quite commonly used ;)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases