D&D 5E 5e Hardcore: Monster Manual

Motorskills

Explorer
Looks like I didn't post the last update. I just downloaded the version in the downloads sections and it has more than dragons and giants (ogres, trolls, yuan-ti, etc.), but the elementals are definitely missing. I just got back from a 5 hour drive so I won't get it corrected tonight, but I will get it sometime this week.

Thank you for catching that.

FYI, I plan to start working on this thread again in May or June.

No problem, I was just scratching my head thinking I had missed something obvious!! :D

I was able to print the images above, and the Elementals came in super-useful. Thanks again for your efforts!

LarryD

First Post
Homebrew 5e Hardcore: Monster Manual

I'm writing a homebrew campaign where elementals will play a significant role (minus all the cultists, thank you PotA! ;)), and your additions will make for interesting encounters for when the PCs get to higher levels.

Hope you get time to create more hardcore monsters in the other categories!

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
I'm writing a homebrew campaign where elementals will play a significant role (minus all the cultists, thank you PotA! ;)), and your additions will make for interesting encounters for when the PCs get to higher levels.

Hope to get time to create more hardcore monsters in the other categories!

Me too!

dave2008

Legend
[MENTION=83242]dave2008[/MENTION]
Have you seen this? http://blogofholding.com/?p=7338

I had not, thank you for sharing!

I do, however, disagree somewhat with his analysis. The MM monsters actually follow the DMG quite closely. The DMG just takes into account a lot more than what is simply covered in the table. His table is better for on the fly monster creation, but the DMG is better for more nuanced design. I would definitely use his table in my DM screen for improvising monsters on the go. Thank you again for finding it and sharing it, there is a lot good info there!

dave2008

Legend
I have added the Astral Deva and Planetar Champion to the celestial sections. These are both elite versions.

After a long absence from this thread I hope to be more active over the next few months.

dave2008

Legend
I looked over my notes and it was supposed to be the "Planetar Battlemaster," so I have updated the elite planetar with some battlemaster traits and replaced the planetar champion with the planetar battlemaster

dave2008

Legend
I have added the Aboleth Overseer to the Aberrations section. Along with the typical tenants of the hardcore series, I tried to redesign this aboleth without using legendary actions. I thinking about doing that as standard procedure for the hardcore series. I would be interested to know what people think.

I have added the Aboleth Overseer to the Aberrations section. Along with the typical tenants of the hardcore series, I tried to redesign this aboleth without using legendary actions. I thinking about doing that as standard procedure for the hardcore series. I would be interested to know what people think.

I really like it, and really like the new design. Maybe specify it has max one reaction per enemyturn.

I do think certain 'legendary' monsters could benefit from legendary actions, perhaps in conjunction with reactions? Otherwise, they may never opportunity attack, or cast spells etc as some of your monsters are wont to as legendary actions.

dave2008

Legend
I really like it, and really like the new design. Maybe specify it has max one reaction per enemyturn.

Thanks!

I don't think specify enemies turns is the 5e standard. The Marilith's reactive trait states: "The Marilith can take one reaction on every turn in Combat." Though not the same as what I am doing, I don't think I need to limit it to enemies turns either. I will think about it though.

I do think certain 'legendary' monsters could benefit from legendary actions, perhaps in conjunction with reactions? Otherwise, they may never opportunity attack, or cast spells etc as some of your monsters are wont to as legendary actions.

Yes, I actually like legendary actions quite a bit. However, as I have been working on the 2nd drafts of the epic monsters and 1st drafts of epic characters I am running into some issues with legendary actions. My current plan is for truly epic monsters to get multiple turns. Lesser semi-solo monsters would get this new design standard I am working on as seen in the aboleth overseer.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases