Take A Look At The DUERGAR From SCAG

The D&D Extra Life campaign just passed $90,000 -- which means another preview from Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide (which released last week in preferred stores, and will be available everywhere else from November 3rd). This time, we get a look at the Duergar entry! If they hit $100K, we get to see the hi-res labeled map of the northwest portion of Faerün, from Amn to Icewind Dale and the Moonshae Isles to the Dalelands.

The D&D Extra Life campaign just passed $90,000 -- which means another preview from Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide (which released last week in preferred stores, and will be available everywhere else from November 3rd). This time, we get a look at the Duergar entry! If they hit $100K, we get to see the hi-res labeled map of the northwest portion of Faerün, from Amn to Icewind Dale and the Moonshae Isles to the Dalelands.

Previous previews include the Preface, Contents Page, Greenflame Blade cantrip, and Urban Bounty Hunter, and the Mastermind, a new rogue archetype.

duergar_scag.jpg

More on Extra Life here.

SaveSave

Prism

Explorer
It isn't mentioned in 2nd editions Lands of Intrigue which covers the ancient dwarf empire of Shanatar in a lot of detail. It might be in Drizzt Do'urdens guide to the underdark but I don't have that one. By the 3e era though its written as the history of clan Barakuir.

So definitely a FR invention.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
Personally, I kind of want to play a campaign during the height of the Mind Flayer Empire. I think that could be pretty fun.

Fralex

Explorer
I think it's kinda cool that the Mindflayers ruined so many races. It creates a bigger narrative than if it was just one. It could give the illithid-touched races a sense of forlorn kinship.

pukunui

Legend
It isn't that they can't, its that it isn't very original. It is basically a copy/paste of the Gith's background. And this addition to their background wasn't necessary. Duergars already had their schtick. They were the evil psionic dwarfs. No need to tigh them to Illithids. If someone felt Duergars absolutely needed a change in background, I wonder why they didn't put more thought into it.
You mean like in 4e, where they were part-fiend with poisoned quills in their beards that they could shoot at people?

Personally, I don't have a problem with it, and I must say I'm a little miffed that people are complaining about it now, since it's certainly not a new idea. Duergar having been slaves of the mind flayers is established fact in the Realms.

GobiWon

Explorer
Hmm...

For those like me who want their duergar to measure up to the MM versions, I recommend creating a feat that gives them advantage on saves vs. spells and allows their enlarge and invisibility to recharge on a short rest.

I like this idea, but first there needs to be a feat that negates sunlight sensitivity.

CapnZapp

Legend
I think the deep gnomes are top dog in that they alone combine superior darkvision (120') with no sunlight sensitivity.

I don't think a feat to get rid of the sensitivity is coming any time soon, you see. So Svirfneblin races ahead of Drow and all the rest.

Remove ads

Remove ads