D&D 5E Just checking: Hordebreaker Ranger

CapnZapp

Legend
No. See the Sage Advice compendium, which is considered errata and RAW, specifically this question: "Do the first and third benefits of Crossbow Expert turn a hand crossbow into a semiautomatic weapon?"

The answer, shortened to its relevant bits (italics mine): "you can fire it more than once if you have a feature like Extra Attack. You’re still limited, however, by the fact that the weapon has the ammunition property (PH, 146). The latter property requires you to have a bolt to fire from the hand crossbow, and the hand crossbow isn’t going to load itself (unless it’s magical or a gnomish invention). You need to load each bolt into the weapon, and doing so requires a hand."
Sorry I don't understand why all of this makes you say "no". And what part of my example are you saying no to?

Edit: okay, all good!

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
Er, yeah. You're right, and that's perfectly admissible. You can fire 1 hand crossbow 4 times with that character, provided he always keeps 1 hand free.

My bad. Carry on. Ignore what I said before, when I was improperly assuming the use of 2 crossbows. Oops.
Ah. Thanks

CapnZapp

Legend
I'm guessing it's 1d6+Dex from hand crossbow, plus 1d6 to the target of a Hunter's Mark spell.

Assuming all attacks hit, and Dex is maxed at 20, the character in the OP deals an average of 33 (11 + 11 + 11) to the main target, and 8 to the second target. With an attack bonus maxing at +13 to hit (+5 Dex, +6 prof, +2 Archery).
Yes, Hunter's Mark. Again sorry.

The +2 from Archery makes Sharpshooter even better than Great Weapon Mastery by the way, since it's effectively only -3/+10 rather than -5/+10. God knows what the designers were thinking...

mellored

Legend
Sorry, the d6 is Hunter's Mark.
Hunter's Mark that takes a bonus action, so does the 4th attack. So it only works if you have it set the previous turn and don't lose concentration.

Also, be aware of the hordebreaker range restriction as well. It's not something that happens every round.

And yes for battlemaster crits.

Remove ads