D&D 5E What D&D Beyond should have been.

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
But in a thread complaining about how much something costs ... don't you kinda sorta hafta go into the economics?.

Nah, I don't think we have to delve into the economics, but it sure is interesting.

For what it's worth, I believe that the only feedback on the cost of DnD Beyond that are likely to convince WotC and Curse to lower prices is how much money they make. Irregardless of how they price the service, it will be too expensive for some portion of the market (unless they price it at zero, which some fans probably might still gripe about). Feedback posted on sites will be a very small factor in any price discussions, as long as money continues to flow into Curse and then to WotC.

Still, griping about the cost is fair game to me. If that ever is combined with lower profits, it might change something.

/M

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I am aware of that fact.

I am also aware of the fact that this has been the largest D&D fan site for many years, and that members from WotC frequent these boards, and often read fans opinions on how they relate to the game.

In my opinion it is not too much of a stretch to post feedback here and hope that WotC might read it.

/M

Actually, it is. WOTC has some express methods set up just to receive feedback. This is not one of them. In fact they have said they find the message boards to be not very representative of the player base in general. This is a particularly bad place to post feedback intended to get to WOTC. Use email. Use twitter - you can speak directly to Mike Mearls and Jeremy Crawford that way, and I was doing just that yesrterday. Use Facebook. Use one of the official surveys. But don't use ENWorld to try and direct feedback to WOTC. It doesn't work. It's a bad place to do it and you have lots of easy better options.

Maggan

Finally, I think it is a fairly safe assumption that the licensee, subject to some contractual requirements, sets the price for their product. That means Curse. Of course, as you know, Curse is actually a subsidiary of Twitch, which is a subsidiary of Amazon.

Just a small detail ... the above, I am not so sure of.

I think WotC could very well decide on a minimum price, so as not to devalue their books, and draw too much sales from them. And then Curse would work with that minimum price to see if they can make their business work or if they would have to charge more.

Which could be what you're thinking of when you write "subject to some contractual requirements"?

/M

Shiroiken

Legend
If you don't like the product (and I don't), then don't buy the product. If people like the produce and keep buying it, then obviously you are in the minority opinion (story of my life) and will have to deal with it. If people stop buying it, the developer will have to change the product or it will become not profitable and the developer will not renew the license. If the latter happens, then WotC may offer the license to another company.

Mistwell

Just a small detail ... the above, I am not so sure of.

I think WotC could very well decide on a minimum price, so as not to devalue their books, and draw too much sales from them. And then Curse would work with that minimum price to see if they can make their business work or if they would have to charge more.

Which could be what you're thinking of when you write "subject to some contractual requirements"?

/M

In the U.S. (and this is a product originating as a U.S, product) the only thing the licensensor may set is a "Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price" (MSRP). They may not fix the price.

Maggan

In the U.S. (and this is a product originating as a U.S, product) the only thing the licensensor may set is a "Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price" (MSRP). They may not fix the price.

So how would WotC safeguard against Curse dumping the price to 1 dollar for the PH, for example?

EDIT: Well, except for Curse going bankrupt.

/M

Mistwell

Hope springs eternal.

/M

If you want to contact someone, which method do you think is best: 1) call them on the phone directly, or 2) put a message in a bottle, and hope the bottle some day happens to find itself in the hands of the person you're trying to contact?

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
So how would WotC safeguard against Curse dumping the price to 1 dollar for the PH, for example?

EDIT: Well, except for Curse going bankrupt.

/M

Why would WotC care if they did? No doubt they get some fixed payment for each subscription sold. If Curse wants to go bankrupt paying it then I guess WotC isn't being injured.

Heh nothing stops you from buying a bunch of PHBs and reselling them for $1 either ;)

Remove ads