[5e] Rakshasas cannot be counterspelled (mostly)? Is that how you would play it

Iry

Hero
I have a slightly different take on it.

Rakshasa cannot be detected by low level Counterspells, the same way they cannot be detected by Detect Magic. Even if the PC can literally see them casting a spell right in front of them, Counterspell and Detect Magic would both say "Nope, nobody is casting a spell around here."

Makes them extremely creepy as antagonists.

S'mon

Legend
Without clarifying the way the spell works ahead of time, I think you open up yourself to the possibility for dissatisfaction and a rules debate during what sounds like is an important moment in the adventure or campaign. I suggest doing what you can to head that off at the pass.

You just need to be clear that IN YOUR GAME Rakshasas work like THIS. Don't get into arguments over RAW/RAI. Hell, increase the CR if you like. I often do.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Working with the assumption that a rakshasa is immune to counterspell of 7th level or less, what's the in-game narrative.

In other words, how would you describe a resisted countrerspell in-game to both indicate that (a) it's the rakshasa's innate magic resistance, and possibly (b) it's only the weaker magic?

Working with the assumption that a rakshasa is immune to counterspell of 7th level or less, what's the in-game narrative.

In other words, how would you describe a resisted countrerspell in-game to both indicate that (a) it's the rakshasa's innate magic resistance, and possibly (b) it's only the weaker magic?

Personally, I like that counterspelling targets the spell so I might describe how alien the spellcasting is, or possibly that the Rakshasa’s connections to the ‘weave’ is so innate or so strong that trying to undo the spell would be like trying to hold back a tidal wave with a sandcastle. Or trying to find a single thread to unweave a tapestry.

Crawford posted something quite a while ago that Counterspell targets the caster, not the spell. You could still Counterspell if using a 6th level or greater slot, however.

smbakeresq

Explorer
I don't see counterspelling used often enough for this to mean that the creature is effectively any nastier. Rather like being immune to a damage type the PCs rarely produce isn't notable.

How often are your PCs trying to counterspell things?

That’s the issue. The answer is sometimes, but your groups counter spelling ability is limited by spell slots also, and once you fail one time with a Rakshasa you would stop doing it. It can really only affect one attempt unless players are obtuse and unaware.

Satyrn

First Post
You just need to be clear that IN YOUR GAME Rakshasas work like THIS. Don't get into arguments over RAW/RAI. Hell, increase the CR if you like. I often do.

Yeah, this is the advice I'd give to [MENTION=762]Mort[/MENTION].

Treat this as a property of the rakshasha (not as a funky, fiddly, debatable interaction between counterspelling and magic immunity) and then describe it as such if it ever comes up in game . . . and something that can actually be learned about rakshashas if the players even bother to actually do research on them.

I seriously doubt the CR needs to be increased because of this, though (at least not where handing out XP is concerned)

Remove ads