What 5th edition books should I be buying?

Satyrn

First Post
Some, depending on how low you're talking about. The Tome of Beasts has an Ink Devil of CR 2, then several devils and demons in the 6-9 range and some more in the 11-14 range. The Creature Codex has a CR 1/2 devil and a CR 4 devil, as well as demons ranging from CR 2 to CR 9.

The bloodwar is being fought in the opening area of my megadungeon, so I'm always on the lookout for tier 1 fiends, especially those of CR 1 and lower. I've homebrewed a bunch, so I already have what I need, but I still like to get ideas from the books, too, because inspiration often strikes when using someone else's ideas.

Here are the CR 0 to 5 Fiends from Tome of Beasts and the Creature Codex that I see:

1/4
Kalke - Fiend - ToB

1/2
Execrable Shrub - Fiend - CC
Fire Imp - Fiend (Devil) - CC

Gumienniki - Fiend (Shapechanger) - CC

Ink Devil - Fiend (Devil) - ToB
Kuunganisha - Fiend - CC
Wind Demon - Fiend (Demon) - CC

Pishacha - Fiend (Demon, Shapechanger) - CC
Plaresh - Fiend (Demon, Swarm) - CC

Rattok - Fiend (Demon) - CC
Spawn of Chernobog - Fiend - CC
Wind’s Harp - Fiend (Devil) - CC
Yek - Fiend (Demon) - CC

Bouda - Fiend (Shapechanger) - ToB
Cipactli - Fiend (Demon) - CC
Dream Eater - Fiend - ToB
Karakura - Fiend (Shapechanger) - CC
Spawn of Akyishigal - Fiend (Demon) - ToB
Spawn of Arbeyach - Fiend (Devil) - ToB
Spawn of Parzelon -Fiend (Devil) - CC
Spree - Fiend (Demon) - CC
Nice list. Thank you! You have probably just sold me on the Creature Codex. The execrable shrub sounds especially intriguing . . . I'm picturing a skag going up to it and lifting a leg. :uhoh:

Nice list. Thank you! You have probably just sold me on the Creature Codex. The execrable shrub sounds especially intriguing . . . I'm picturing a skag going up to it and lifting a leg. :uhoh:

LOL. I get the feeling you'll also enjoy many of the other monsters, including such delights as the Arcanaphage, the Bearmit Crab, the Hair Golem, the Flying Polyp, and the Wind Weasel. :-S

Remove ads