D&D 5E Marilith- Opinions on Teleporting....

JeffB

Legend
with a grappled character?...5E just says she can teleport with equipment/stuff carried. No other mention. I'm fine with making a ruling, but wondering what others think.

I'm leaning towards "yes" for my ruling. She's an iconic bad ass demon-lady with 20 feet of tail. Whats a couple hundred pounds extra, right?

Likely a tough situation for a character..... What a shame :p

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=518]JeffB[/MENTION] Absolutely I'd allow it! And I'd argue that it's intended to work that way in RAW...

[SECTION]Moving a Grappled Creature: When you move, you can drag or carry the grappled creature with you, but your speed is halved, unless the creature is two or more sizes smaller than you.[/SECTION]

Notice how it says "carry."

The question is whether teleporting counts as "when you move."

Evidence for/against: PHB 195: You also don’t provoke an opportunity attack when you teleport or when someone or something moves you without using your movement, action, or reaction. You can argue that it's implied that teleport is also a form of movement from this sentence. You can also argue that teleport is being called out as not-a-form-of-movement because it doesn't provoke.

The DM needs to rule on that.

One also needs to keep in mind that all the teleportation spells that allow you to take others specify willing creatures.

That's not to say a monster's innate teleport ability must work the same as the spell--heck, I'd probably allow the maralith to carry a grappled foe, myself--but it is a precedent the DM should keep in mind before ruling one way or the other.

Sir Brennen

Legend
On the other hand, if one assumes the Maralith's Teleport works similar to the spell, then no, because the spell is limited to only affecting willing creatures besides yourself and your equipment/stuff carried. Though really, with a 120' range and restricted to line of sight, the demon's ability is more like a weak Dimension Door. Again, that spell is limited to willing creatures coming with you. Still "No".

Beyond that, it's up to the DM and how much of a Rat Bastard he wants to be to the characters.

EDIT: Mouseja'd

Tony Vargas

Legend
It's a line-of-sight teleport with a limited range. Treating it as movement shouldn't be too out of line.
Unless you specifically exploit it - have an area that is within line of sight but blocks movement and spells/ranged attacks, for instance.

Quickleaf

Legend
A cool compromise might be "Yes, but..."

YES the marilith can teleport while she has a creature grappled...

BUT she can only teleport half distance (60 instead of 120 ft) and she provokes opportunity attacks from adjacent creatures.

*That's* what I'd do.

FWIW, in similar situations I have ruled that the Shadow Monk can teleport with any creatures she is carrying. I'd be all for letting the Marilith do the same.

JeffB

Legend
All good answers and advice.

I also was thinking "yes, but" and require a recharge for the teleport ability..but the reduced range and AoO is a consideration.

Oofta

Legend
The real answer is "What's more fun"?

But isn't Misty Step in the same boat? The target is self, but I think it's pretty much assumed that the person doing the misty step also takes whatever equipment they are carrying. Seems like if you are grappling someone, you can carry them as well.

Remove ads