Dragonlance Dragonlance adaptation to D&D 5th Edition

Pauln6

Hero
Totally. I still think it's counterprodictive to mess with the spell slots in this edition. A circunstancial +1 / -1 seems to fit better.

I suppose you could have a long rest ability to cast a spell as if it is one level higher than the slot used so the wizard could inflict more damage but not access more powerful spells. Alongside tweaks to Arcane recovery depending on subclass.

PabloM

Adventurer
I suppose you could have a long rest ability to cast a spell as if it is one level higher than the slot used so the wizard could inflict more damage but not access more powerful spells. Alongside tweaks to Arcane recovery depending on subclass.

I like this. Maybe some kind of feat that allows the character to do that and some other tweak (+1 a Intelligence maybe?).

hastur_nz

First Post
I still own the original Dragonlance Adventures hardback, and it has rules for the Moons effecting the power of magic, so I'm not sure what you mean by "adding it" to the setting. The Moons of magic having an effect on power has been a core attribute of Dragonlance since the very beginning (Night of the Eye, anyone?).

I also have the original Dragonlance Adventures hardback, and used to own the initial novels, and I still have the original adventure modules (the first four are awesome). They came out in the reverse order noted, i.e. the first few adventures were written, then play tested, then the novels were commissioned and written, then the adventures and novels were published kind of overlapping IIRC (and not all at once). Eventually, the Dragonlance Adventures hardback was published; it added a bunch of stuff that was inspired by the novels, the original novels and from memory a bunch that came after (time of the twins et al). So the stuff in the DLA hardback is nowhere near "original", in that respect - I DM'd the entire original set of adventures before it came out, IIRC.

Irda Ranger

First Post
So the stuff in the DLA hardback is nowhere near "original", in that respect - I DM'd the entire original set of adventures before it came out, IIRC.
It's original in the sense that it was the first setting book published for DL. In the first setting book TSR published for Krynn, the moons effected magic.

Zardnaar

Legend
The moon thing carried over into the 2E boxed set which I have (DLA is the better version IMHO).

Its an interesting quirk to Krynn, sets up the setting should probably be used int the relevant timelines (I lost track of DL after Dragons of Summer Flame).

2E smoothed out the wizard spell table, they all used the PHB spell table but kept the 1E moons thing.

Lost the novel that had the Knights of Takhisis in it with the RPG stats.

Gadget

Adventurer
Dragonlance will always be what made vancian & pseudo-vancian casting make sense to me. Before that, it was always kind of disconnected from the fiction.

Quartz

Hero
I have just uploaded Dragonlance adaptation to D&D 5th Edition to the downloads area.

Cool. Very cool even. I've seen mention of the moon magic in other comments. I've not read them all, but I think your effects are too weak.Moon effects are supposed to be really powerful and the Night of the Eye was feared by non-mages. And 5E makes it easy: just add or subtract spell levels wityhout affecting the actual spell slot. If your moon is at High Sanction, the spells you cast act as if they were 1 level higher, so a 1st level spell would behave as a 2nd level spell; if your moon is at Low Sanction, you cast spells as if they were 1 level lower. If all three are at High Sanction you cast as if they were 3 levels higher, so a 9th level spell would behave as a 12th level spell; if all moons are at Low Sanction the spells you cast behave as if they were 3 levels lower, so a 9th level spell has the effects of a 6th level spell. A spell reduced to 0th level cannot be cast.

With regards to two moons being at High or Low Sanction, I suggest you do it by school. If your moon is at High or Low Sanction and you are casting a spell of a school under the aegis of one of the other Robes then that spell is affected by the Sanction status of the other moon.

Gadget

Adventurer
How so? It never made sense to me and I loved dragonlance (the novels - never played the setting)?

The Wizards of High Sorcery with their abilities and how they are described really brought the vancian system alive for me, not having ever read Vance and most other fiction being really different. If you're a fan of Dragonlance and still can't see it...well to each their own.

PabloM

Adventurer
Cool. Very cool even. I've seen mention of the moon magic in other comments. I've not read them all, but I think your effects are too weak.Moon effects are supposed to be really powerful and the Night of the Eye was feared by non-mages. And 5E makes it easy: just add or subtract spell levels wityhout affecting the actual spell slot. If your moon is at High Sanction, the spells you cast act as if they were 1 level higher, so a 1st level spell would behave as a 2nd level spell; if your moon is at Low Sanction, you cast spells as if they were 1 level lower. If all three are at High Sanction you cast as if they were 3 levels higher, so a 9th level spell would behave as a 12th level spell; if all moons are at Low Sanction the spells you cast behave as if they were 3 levels lower, so a 9th level spell has the effects of a 6th level spell. A spell reduced to 0th level cannot be cast.

With regards to two moons being at High or Low Sanction, I suggest you do it by school. If your moon is at High or Low Sanction and you are casting a spell of a school under the aegis of one of the other Robes then that spell is affected by the Sanction status of the other moon.

Without question you suggest a nice system, but, like I say above, I think is a little too over complicated. Adding or substacting 1, 2 or 3 to spell attacks and spell save DC is huge!
Think in a magic weapon or armor: it adds the same value (+1, +2 or +3) to hit or AC, being +3 the maximum bonus reachable. A wizard of high sorcery reach that power in the Night of the Eye.

Remove ads