D&D (2024) 6e? Why?

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I should state something...
I don't have a problem with 5e either. In fact, it's certainly my favorite edition so far, and holds up well. I don't expect a 6th edition to come out any time soon, but its inevitable rise does worry me. Releasing another edition would simply split the player base as further editions did. Maintaining 5e's profitability is difficult, but not impossible. Maintaining D&D's profitability through another few editions would be extraordinarily difficult. I yearn for the day WotC announces that 5e will be an evergreen edition.

However, I am a hypocrite, and would gladly buy any 6e products that would be released

It is.

I expect a 5.5e sometime in the far future. Which would be fine. I think the core of 5e is now D&D.

5e is pretty close to outselling all other editions combined. I expect 2018 to be its best year ever as 2017 was.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Yeah, my hunch is they are shooting for keeping this version alive for a decade, and releasing a "Gold Edition" for the game's 50th anniversary.

Plausible. I think, at this point, it's clear that D&D doesn't need change or improvement for its own sake, it needs stability for the sake of the brand. I'd expect future editions to be like special editions of Monopoly: same game, but with cosmetic changes and details to fit a theme. A 50th anniversary edition might be like that, essentially the same as 5e, maybe with some extra effort to evoke the early game...

Mercurius

Legend
Well they're coming out with special edition covers, which implies that we won't see a new edition anytime soon. And why would they? The game is booming and from what I gather, a lot more casual fans than in the previous two editions, which were both very crunchy and maybe a bit off-putting for the casual crowd.

I think at most we see a cleaned up and mildly revised version, something like a 5.1 and 5.2 And even then, we probably won't see it until the 50th anniversary in 2024.

There are numerous ways to appeal to the hardcore fans that don't require a new edition: like settings, epic rules, rules variants, etc. Especially if they're happy with their 3-4 books a year schedule.

I think also 5th edition is based upon having relatively low overhead, with a small group of designers. They are done with the (failed) approach of the past: churn out as much product as possible in the hopes of making a slim profit, until the law of diminishing returns kicks in and then reboot with a new edition. I do think they are going for a "quasi-evergreen" edition.

No and not for a very long time. The WotC design team is still interested in updating classic DnD for 5e. Don't forget, we still haven't received the following:
* Dark Sun
* Spelljammer
* Greyhawk
* Krynn
* Eberron
* Planescape
* Fiend Folio

There are many, many monsters and worlds that are waiting to find an official home in 5e and until they arrive there doesn't seem to be a need for WotC to scrap 5th Edition.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
....but no edition or game is perfect.

I want to expand on this - "perfect" has no meaning in this context. Saying no game is perfect is kind of like saying no ice cream flavor is perfect, or no novel is perfect. In order for there to be perfection, there must be a single ideal everyone agrees would be perfection. We don't have that.

There will be a 6e if only because gaming has fashion trends just like every other product/market subject to aesthetics.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Given the comments, I feel like a 5.5 would eliminate bonus actions... so I hope we never get one.
I feel that getting rid of bonus actions would be a plus and if I do pick up the next edition I hope they are no longer part of the game.

I feel WoTC have done a good job keeping people interested in 5E. They haven't been afraid to give us free stuff in the form of Unearthed Arcana, and the stuff they make us pay for has been good quality (except the pre-painted minis, those are mostly garbage). Heck, there's even Dungeon Masters Guild, which has and will continue to provide us with material. I don't think that a new edition is coming anytime soon. They still have all the different settings to cover, and with those I'm guessing there's going to be new "*Blank's* guide to *blank*" books and adventure paths. Others have said on this thread, the only way we're getting a new edition is when they decide to start changing the core mechanics drastically. And even then, I don't think that'll happen until the masses begin demanding something completely different.

Les Moore

Explorer
I wouldn't be surprised to see "Classic D&D"- reprints of the TSR originals, in possibly a nice tin box,
with special polys, and maybe a separate "Classic DM" module.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases