Why are gargoyles evil?

Bootlebat

Explorer
D&D is a world of black and white stereotypes. Gargoyles are evil because they're ugly. If they looked pleasant, then they would be good.

I suspect this is the real answer. Although if the Gygax and the other original designers really did know the etymology of gargoyle (as pointed out earlier in this thread) and made them evil for that reason I would say that's pretty impressive.

Cthulad

Explorer
I have always treated Gargoyles as Neutral. The evil ones are commanded, and the others are requested to guard something usually. 3rd edition I liked the most because you could apply a template to them, and I loved the templates they offered.

I suspect this is the real answer. Although if the Gygax and the other original designers really did know the etymology of gargoyle (as pointed out earlier in this thread) and made them evil for that reason I would say that's pretty impressive.

I would believe it. The early editions of D&D and AD&D show a pretty thorough knowledge of Celtic, Norse, Indian, Greek, Roman, and German mythology. They were war gamers and interested in history itself. The things that they included were generally correct. Sure, there are notable anachronisms even avoiding the leather armor debate (studded leather armor, ring mail, banded mail, some of the sword terminology is muddied) but those were also mistakes that historians themselves had made at the time or were very common misconceptions.

MarkB

Legend
I don't think of gargoyles as being evil for the sake of it, rather they're ambush predators who have adapted to an urban environment.

I don't think of gargoyles as being evil for the sake of it, rather they're ambush predators who have adapted to an urban environment.

That is a good point. Humanoids account for a lot of protein in an urban environment (it is why I always laugh at any post apocalyptic movie where the protagonists are heading towards a big city: it is hard to farm on concrete, and once the canned food is gone, what [who] else is everyone going to eat?).

Still with int 6, they could probably make a moral decision to eat pigeons instead of people. Of course, maybe a bunch of them do, but those ones don't pick fights with PC's.....

Remove ads