WotC Considering NPC Stat Format Change

This started with a comment about D&D formatting errors by James Introcaso (the comment, not the errors) on Twitter, and WotC's Chris Perkins joined in. Other quickly chimed in with further questions.

Chris_Perkins.jpg

James:
When you write an NPC's statistics in parentheses next to their name, it should look like this: NAME (ABBREVIATED ALIGNMENT SEX OR GENDER SUBRACE RACE STATISTICS). e.g. Fireface McDragon (LG female mountain dwarf knight)

Perkins: We’re thinking about dispensing with that format and writing out the information in sentence form using no alignment abbreviations. Example: Borf is a chaotic neutral, non-binary shield dwarf berserker with darkvision out to a range of 60 feet.

Crows Bring the Spring: Can I inquire why adding the blurb about dark vision is included in that line? Makes it feel rather lengthy.

Perkins: It doesn’t have to be there. It could also be replaced with something else, such as the languages Borf speaks, if that’s more important. Racial traits and other useful info could be presented as separate, full sentences.

Hannah Rose: What’s motivating this possible change? The ability to transition into modifications to a stat block without saying “with the following changes”?

Perkins: Our intention is to make books that are gorgeous, thoughtfully organized, fun to read, and easy for DMs/players of all experience levels to use.

Guillermo Garrido: Do you playtest these changes by different levels of players/DMs before widespread use of the new language?

Perkins: We playtest everything.

Reynard

Legend
I'm running Dragon Heist just fine right now -- admittedly, i'm putting my own spin on it, but that's how it's meant to be run.

Don't get me wrong, we are having a great time with Dragonheist, but my version does not look anything like the book version. I appreciate the springboard it provides and I use a lot of the material within, but the adventure itself is just not something I think works and so I discard it. No big deal. i do not regret the purchase at all. Storm King's Thunder was a littler different because I was running it on Fantasy grounds and due to certain limitations in the medium, I have a harder time improvising on FG, so the weaknesses of STK seemed to glare a lot more brightly.

I also understand that I am just not a prepared module type DM. I much prefer, say, Savage Worlds plot point campaigns, which are much less detailed in presentation. I am an improvisational GM at my core so what i am really looking for in modules is material to build something unique on -- especially at the scope of an AP. I want the module to make my life easier. I totally understand that other people want different things from modules.

wcpfish

First Post
YESSSSSSSS

Is it weird that I was just thinking about how I missed the short stat blocks of 1e?

"4 Bull Thistles (AC 6; MV 9”; HD 4; hp 4 x 24; #AT 3; D 2-8/2-8/3-13; SD 25% magic resistance)"

(Source: EX1)
I'll second this! One line with the info I need NOW at the gaming table, I can create my own note ("Bull Thistles can be bribed with a bag of plant food and hate Mondays") or give the Bull Thistle's names, etc.

Rygar

Explorer
"Example: Borf is a chaotic neutral, non-binary shield dwarf berserker with darkvision out to a range of 60 feet."

Maybe it is too early in the morning and not enough tea but WTF is a 'non-binary shield dwarf'? Did a 2 get into a Boolean logic discussion?

While the new format seems easier to read, can it be spotted quickly while scanning a block of text as players are waiting for the DM to describe who they are dealing with? The () can make a string of stat text stand out from normal text.

It's a way to virtue signal to all of the other far left wing political activists that your product is designed to meet all the criteria of far left wing politics.

It's also a monumentally stupid way to get your product line shut down due to poor sales. We know from Harvard's recent study that far left wing political activists are approximately 8% of the population, and the left is 32%. So somewhere towards the end of this year someone is going to have to explain to coorporate why dropping sales between 68% and 92% is a good thing since when you make a product political you alienate all of those who don't share your politics.

On the other hand, at least we can see WOTC's continuing the pattern of making sure Paizo is the future of the RPG market. WOTC is definitely the single best marketing tool Paizo's ever had.

You’ve been here long enough to know better than sling lingo like “virtue signal” and “far left politicians” around. If you don’t, you might wish to refamiliarize yourself with ENWorld’s terms of service. Don’t post in this thread again.

Last edited by a moderator:

MechaPilot

Explorer
I always enjoyed the AD&D 2e Planescape statblocks. They do seem a bit arcane on first glance, but once you get used to them they have a wealth of information at a glance.

Reynard

Legend
It's a way to virtue signal to all of the other far left wing political activists that your product is designed to meet all the criteria of far left wing politics.

It's also a monumentally stupid way to get your product line shut down due to poor sales. We know from Harvard's recent study that far left wing political activists are approximately 8% of the population, and the left is 32%. So somewhere towards the end of this year someone is going to have to explain to coorporate why dropping sales between 68% and 92% is a good thing since when you make a product political you alienate all of those who don't share your politics.

On the other hand, at least we can see WOTC's continuing the pattern of making sure Paizo is the future of the RPG market. WOTC is definitely the single best marketing tool Paizo's ever had.
Really?

First of all, if there is a top tier RPG company more progressive than WotC it is Paizo.

Second, I am not sure you really understand the numbers you tossed around, even assuming they aren't completely made up.

Finally: the culture war is over. You lost.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
I think that non-binary line as an example is one that skates on thin ice as many would like to reply concerning it but steer clear cause of the friction it may imply or cause.
I just don’t like the new styling regardless of that part being included in the example. It’s not DM user friendly.

oreofox

Explorer

You do know Paizo has been more "progressive" for a lot longer than WotC has with their product lines, yes? There's been numerous homosexual couples, and even a transgender NPC in Wrath of the Righteous (which was released way back in 2013). Paizo's CEO is one of those evil despicable women (Lisa Stevens). So one mention of a "non-binary dwarf" makes them bad and shows that Paizo is the future of the RPG market, despite being very much more progressive and "far left" than WotC.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I'll second this! One line with the info I need NOW at the gaming table, I can create my own note ("Bull Thistles can be bribed with a bag of plant food and hate Mondays") or give the Bull Thistle's names, etc.

Works great for AD&D. You've got to love most of the creature's abilities triggering off Hit Dice. :) Alas, not a great option for 5E, where there's a lot more variance in abilities.

Ability scores that matter take up a lot of space, just to begin with - then there's lots of rider effects on attacks and the like. Even the damage type needs to be listed.

In theory, you could have an undead deal 1d8+4N, with the N standing for Necrotic, but we end up with too many abbreviations to remember.

Cheers!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I really doubt the majority are just reading and not playing the released material.

I think the majority of players are not running any individual campaign from Wizards. I'm doubtful that most games are using official D&D adventures.

However, I do think that the number of people using official Wizards adventures is much higher than it's been in the past.

Cheers!

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases