Critical Role Watch Critical Role's Matt Mercer Play D&D With TV's Stephen Colbert!

Matthew Mercer (DM of Critical Role) and Stephen Colbert (host of The Colbert Report) played a game of D&D for Red Nose Day (the longstanding Comic Relief telethon event). It's just the two of them, one-on-one, in a 45-minute adventure!

Screenshot 2019-05-24 at 00.10.22.png

Red Nose Day is a longstanding British institution which traditionally takes place in March, founded in 1985, and raises funds for children in poverty, and has raised over a billion pounds for charity. It also takes place in several other countries, and the US edition launched in 2015 and takes place in May.

Stephen Colbert has long been known as one of many celebrities who enjoy Dungeons & Dragons. This game took place in New York recently, and funds were raised by donations which actually affected the game.

[video=youtube;3658C2y4LlA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3658C2y4LlA[/video]

Both Colbert and D&D superfan Joe Manganiello discussed D&D on The Late Show.

[video=youtube;pD0epul2H94]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD0epul2H94[/video]​

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Watch Critical Role's Matt Mercer Play D&D With TV's Stephen Colbert!

Are you unhappy with his work on The Late Show?

I’m not familiar with either programme. I am sure they are both excellent.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sacrosanct

Legend
I enjoyed his Veteran-like paranoia and curiosity of his surroundings.

When that came out, I started grinning from ear to ear.

Yeah, if people want to know how D&D was played back in the day, this is a good example, with his devotion to examining everything in pedantic detail and assuming there were traps everywhere :D

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
Like The Graham Norton Show or The Jonathan Ross Show, but every weeknight. It used to be called The Late Show with Johnny Carson.
Johnny Carson hosted the Tonight Show, not the Late Show. Colbert's predecessor on the Late Show was David Letterman, for whom the program was created.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Johnny Carson hosted the Tonight Show, not the Late Show. Colbert's predecessor on the Late Show was David Letterman, for whom the program was created.

Oh right right, after Letterman was turned town for the Tonight Show. It's sorta all been the same in my mind. Same format, same guests, different hosts.

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
Oh right right, after Letterman was turned town for the Tonight Show. It's sorta all been the same in my mind. Same format, same guests, different hosts.
What, you get the Tonight Show, the Late Show, the Late Late Show, and Late Night confused?! But they all have such distinctive names! :)

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I enjoyed his Veteran-like paranoia and curiosity of his surroundings.

When that came out, I started grinning from ear to ear.

It kinda paid off. By throwing rocks at one of the gargoyles (thinking it might be a living creature) and having it break off and fall, he halved the danger of the arcane trap when crossing the bridge.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Yeah, if people want to know how D&D was played back in the day, this is a good example, with his devotion to examining everything in pedantic detail and assuming there were traps everywhere :D

I love when he corrected Mercer on stalactite versus stalagmite, which led to the best line: "This is what it was like to play D&D with me when I was 13."

See video at 20:14: https://youtu.be/3658C2y4LlA?t=1214

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases