D&D 5E Handing over the DM reins, now I need a character

Li Shenron

Legend
More unique than a halfling riding a charging boar though? ;)

Mechanically yes, narratively no. :)

Maybe I focused my answer too much on the mechanics and not on character concept, but for a one-shot game that's what I would personally look for: to try out some mechanics I haven't yet. Certainly, a battlemaster doesn't have a huge narrative appeal. But I would keep the cool character concepts for a campaign that lasts longer than one evening!

akr71

Hero
Mechanically yes, narratively no. :)

Maybe I focused my answer too much on the mechanics and not on character concept, but for a one-shot game that's what I would personally look for: to try out some mechanics I haven't yet. Certainly, a battlemaster doesn't have a huge narrative appeal. But I would keep the cool character concepts for a campaign that lasts longer than one evening!

Opinion and advice appreciated. I'm trying to gently nudge these players into embracing RP more. If he's well received, he may reappear as an NPC along the way.

Koloth

First Post
Congrats on having a player wanting to DM, even for a short while and kudos to you for letting it happen. While you are calling this a one shot, if it goes well, it may happen again. I wouldn't worry about trying to fill a missing role. The missing role will return at the end of the other DM's run anyway. Nothing wrong with using your character as a future plot device either. Is there some NPC that is planned to show up further down the road in your campaign? Maybe you could play an earlier version of that NPC. That way, it might have a bit more 'life' when it shows back up.

Remove ads