What is *worldbuilding* for?

S

Sunseeker

Bias?

[MENTION=93444]shidaku[/MENTION] described world building as art. Presumably, it is the GM's art and the GM's meaning given to the adventure. Art (typically) has an audience. I'm asking if the players are that audience? If the answer is no - eg the audience for worldbuilding is the GM - then how does worldbuiling relate to RPGing at all?

[MENTION=93444]shidaku[/MENTION] also used an adjective - your - which is ambiguous between singular and plural. Whose adventure does worldbuilding give meaning to? I am imagining that the answer is the GM's adventure. If I'm wrong, shidaku can correct me.

The audience would be the players yes. And the "adventure" refers to both what the audience (players) partake of, and what is available within the game. Like art, not all outcomes will be the same.

MarkB

Legend
For instance, "providing history and cultures for your players" presumably means telling them these sorts of characters are permitted; these other sorts aren't. It might mean, if a player declares an action "I search the room for a copy of the missing map", replying "You find nothing" without rolling the dice (or perhaps pretending to make a check but in fact stipulating the answer regardless of the roll), because you have written down, in advance, the contents of the room and they don't include a map.

What is that sort of stuff for?
Well, for one thing, it can make players' choices feel meaningful, and reward them for smart play. If you already know where the NPC has hidden his map, and the PCs use deduction based upon what you've told them of him and his residence to narrow it down to the most likely location, they'll gain a sense of achievement if their deduction is correct.

If finding the map is basically just a matter of searching each room in turn until the DM's "is the map hidden here?" roll hits a high enough total, then they're basically just playing a slot machine and hoping they'll hit the jackpot before they run out of tokens (in this case, rooms). Their choices don't matter, because those choices didn't dictate the outcome.

redrick

First Post
If I were going to play a game where 90% of worldbuilding was handled collaboratively with the players, I would rather do that in the context of a specific game, preferably with mechanics and guidance on how to handle that collaboration, particularly with regards to conflict between players on how the world should look. "Classic" RPGs handle this conflict with clearly defined purviews for the different participants. (As a player, I and I alone control my PC, and you, the DM, control the world and and its not my place to tell you how many bars there are in Baldur's Gate.) Dramatically shifting the responsibilities of worldbuilding could be cool, but it requires a big shift in expectations. If the experiment were a success, I could see bringing those techniques back into a more traditional RPG, but I wouldn't want to start there.

innerdude

Legend
I may get back to answer your questions, but for now I want to point out a massive hole in your theory: your Marvel game example had an immense amount of worldbuilding, not a little. You leveraged the entire ouevre of Marvel, which, in turn, leverages the real world. You had Stark, B,A,D,, Washington DC, the Washington monument, the Smithsonian, bars, streets, buildings, a cast reservoir of bystanders, etc, all as predefined and established pays off ther fiction. The world you actually played in had almost everything predefined and leveragable by both the GM and the players.

Your second example ignores that Greyhawk was used as a world and only focuses on the tree created by a player. Sure, the tree is important, but you already leveraged the vast work and world of Greyhawk before the tree was even introduced, yet you seem to dismiss this act of worldbuilding as trivial. It is not.

I was going to comment on exactly this.

Be careful, [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] , not to mistake "world building" as "just the stuff I, the GM, have to make up in my head." One of the powerful effects of using known settings is that you can sidestep so much of the need to explain to players just what the world is and what lives within it contextually. They already know.

Many settings use real-world cultural analogues for this reason exactly---if I want the players to be immersed in a place that's highly compatible with 18th century France, I'm going to say, "picture 18th century France," and the players immediately get it. It's powdered wigs and fighting with rapiers and muskets, with orchestral string music playing at the royal ball. I don't have to "worldbuild" any of that context/milieu, it's already there.

In my experience, the best RPGs I've played in have leveraged this heavily, because as [MENTION=16814]Ovinomancer[/MENTION] mentions, doing this creates instantly accessible cues for the players without the GM having to do a ton of work. It's much easier for players to "plug in" to the world and its basic expectations.

Aenghus

Explorer
I see world-building in a variety of contexts, including a bunch of non-RPG contexts. Model villages, towns, cities by themselves or as part of a diorama. Fictional places where the peoples, cultures, politics, architecture etc may be explored in a variety of detail levels. One element of fantasy and science fiction stories is the world-building. Then there's the world -building in RPGs, both deliberately written setting material and the snowball effect of successful products for a setting that seize the customers interest, that may influence and change future products in that setting.

After all, there's more than one method of world-building. From an abstract point of view, we have top down development, where the overarching themes and conflicts within the world are detailed, countries and peoples, and then the creator fills in details - cities, towns, villages etc, while ideally being consistent with the established background and major plots.

But there's also the bottom-up method, where you start small, with one dungeon, or settlement and detail that, probably with the agreement or understanding that the players will keep their PCs in that small setting at the start. The idea is that slowly the detailed world expands, in a relatively organic way.

I suspect many people use a hybrid approach, where they have some idea of the overall world, but prioritise detailing the elements relevant to the current game. It's definitely normal to have some sort of world map and synopsis history at a minimum.

The detail level and and degree of zoom in can vary a lot. Few people would expect every single peasant in a setting to be detailed, for instance, but some would expect details on the heads of major factions in a setting, while still others might expect the names of a number of npcs at the top of each faction and some notes on internal politics.

Consistency is another spectrum, IMO I've seen DMs care about this a lot more than players on average, and not always in a rational way. I've seen more than one referee tantrum when players don't appreciate the setting, logical fallacies are exposed in their world-building, or the players actively try to vandalise the setting.

Abstract world-building can be a goal unto itself, and may not need players. When there are players the referee need to balance the jollies they get from world-building and the needs of the players, who on average will be less invested in that world-building, sometimes a lot less.

IMO in prepared, high detail worlds, the players ideally will enjoy exploration of the intricacies of the setting, and the high detail helps ensure that there are discoveries to make and information to impart.

Some players feel claustrophobic about high-detail settings, whether it's because they have their own plans which the setting details can invalidate or make implausible, or just because they get in the way of their game style eg roleplay-heavy, beer & pretzels, hack and slack etc etc.

Last edited:

Grog-Orcman01

First Post
Mythipalagia

Hey guys, this is a really cool forum, me and my team are working on a really cool world known as mythipalagia. It’s a really great fantasy world that we plan to work on for a long time. If anyone has any ideas for us, we have a subreddit that you can comment in and give us suggestions, it would really help, and I’m sure that you’ll like our fantasy world. Here’s the link: https://www.reddit.com/r/Mythipalagia/

Last edited:

Sadras

Legend
The thread title really says it all. But here's some context to explain why I'm asking that question.

In classic D&D, the dungeon was a type of puzzle. The players had to map it, by declaring moves (literally) for their PCs. The players, using their PCs as vehicles, had to learn what was in there: this was about inventory - having enough torches, 10' poles, etc - and about game moves too - searching for secret doors, checking ceilings and floors, and so on. And finally, the players had to try and loot it while either avoiding or defeating the monsters guarding the treasures and wandering around the place - this is what the combat mechanics were for.

The game is something of a cross between a wargame and a complex refereed maze. And *worldbuilding* is all about making the maze. I get that.

But most contemporary D&D isn't played in the spirit of classic D&D: the players aren't trying to map a maze; when it comes to searching, perception and the like there is often an emphasis on PC skills (perception checks) rather than player game moves; there is no clear win condition like there used to be (ie getting the gold and thereby accruing XP).

In the classic game, alignment (and related aspects of character motivation) become components in, and establish the parameters of, the puzzle: if I find a prisoner in the dungeon, should I be rescuing her/him (after all, my PC is lawful and so I might suffer a GM-imposed penalty if I leave a helpless person behind)? Or is s/he really a succubus or medusa in disguise, trying to take advantage of my lawful foibles? This is one reason why divination items like wands of enemy detection, ESP medallions and the like are so prominent in classic D&D - they're "game components" which, once obtained, allow a clever player to make better moves and so increase his/her chance of winning the game. And their function relies upon the GM having already written the dungeon, and having already decided what the truth is about the prisoner.

But in most contemporary play, character motivations (and alignment etc) aren't treated purely instrumentally in that waym as puzzle components and parameters. I'm expected to develop my character, and to care about his/her motivations, for their own sake. This is part of the standard picture of what it is to be a good RPGer.

So, given these difference between typical contemporary play and "classic" play, what is world building for?

And here's a final thought, in spoiler blocksbecause it's a little bit tangential:[sblock]In this blog post, Luke Crane has interesting (and very enthusiastic) things to say about playing Moldvay Basic. He also asserts that "the beautiful economy of Moldvay's basic rules are rapidly undermined by the poorly implemented ideas of the Expert set." I think at least part of what he has in mind there is that Expert-style wilderness adventuring doesn't establish the same clear framework for play. There is no clear maze, and so no clear parameters for establishing puzzles to solve in avoiding or defeating the monsters while getting the gold.

I see this contrast, between Basic and Expert - dungeon crawling compared to wilderness exploration - as raising the same question as this thread: what is world building for once we're no longer playing a dungeon crawling, puzzle-solving game?[/sblock]

You differentiate between a dungeon puzzle and non-dungeon puzzle. You seem to be ok or at least understand the need to 'world building' a dungeon but not world-building beyond that? Why is that?

The intrigue of a faction filled-city with a who-done-it theme is not a puzzle-solving game?

Using an old map to journey through the dangerous Altan Tepes mountains is not similar enough to you to dungeon crawling (but on a much larger scale)?

Rightly you say alignment is built into the puzzle of the AD&D dungeon game, but you seemingly dismiss it if one is slaughtering/torturing dryads in a quest to find the Tree of Life? Do you assume, for most tables, there will be no consequences in the latter example?

Players are not necessarily mapping a maze in a non-dungeon game, but they are establishing connections/relationships between themselves and others, discovering how widespread the evil organisation is, exploring an underwater lake, or traversing the open seas searching for that elusive island...etc

With regards to player moves -
Old School: I search for secret doors by doing x? Roll a Die
5e DMG page 236-237 under the heading The Middle Path
DMG said:
Many DMs find that using a combination of the two approaches works best....(snip)...you can encourage a player to strike a balance between relying on their bonuses and abilities and paying attention to the game and immersing themselves in the world.

As you can see Old School style of play is not all together removed. It is actually listed as one of the options (Ignoring the Dice) along with the most preferred style, The Middle Path.

As for dungeon inventory you listed the 10 foot pole and torches.
Wilderness/urban inventory includes horses and 5e tools (disguise kit, gaming sets, navigators tools, healers kit, vehicles). The equipment list didn't suddenly disappear after Basic.

Sure gaming styles have evolved, but worldbuilding is important now as it was then (dungeon or no dungeon), whether you establish it before or during play.

Last edited:

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I'm not quite sure you do.

Worldbuilding is about making the universe and world and kingdom in which the maze is located; and about making the history of how these things (and maybe the maze, too) came to be what they are, and about making the cultures and peoples and creatures and climates and terrain that a PC encounters en route to the maze.

By the time you get down to designing the dungeon maze itself you've already done 99% of the work. (or, if using a pre-fab setting e.g. Greyhawk, had 99% of it done for you)

I think it depends on where you start. You could certainly start with a dungeon without the rest of the world. As you developed that, you'd be engaging in world building - just at a very specific end of it. Does it include a dragon in it? Then you've established that dragons are in the world. Gargoyles? Then you've established gargoyles are part of the world. It may be a very sketchy build to the world, but it's a build - everything added is now part of the built world.

It's mainly a question of which direction the build is happening - is a comprehensive top-down build, or piecemeal bottom-up build? Both can be worldbuilding, just in different style and scope.

pemerton

Legend
You differentiate between a dungeon puzzle and non-dungeon puzzle. You seem to be ok or at least understand the need to 'world building' a dungeon but not world-building beyond that? Why is that?

The intrigue of a faction filled-city with a who-done-it theme is not a puzzle-solving game?
Well, I offered some reasons for thinking they might be different, and tried to bring these out further in the discussion with [MENTION=23935]Nagol[/MENTION].

In a dungeon, the parameters of the puzzle are very confined. There is a maze. The maze has "nodes" (rooms) whose contents are largely static until the players interact with them (in the fiction, this means opening doors, dealing with inhabitants, taking loot, etc). This means that players can solve the puzzle over time by first scouting and divining; then raiding; using different equipment load-outs, spell load-outs, etc for each stage. (Gygax gives detailed advice about this in the final section of his PHB before the appendices.)

Once the setting changes to something like a wilderness or a city, the parameters change dramatically if the setting is going to be even remotely verisimilitudinous. So techniques that worked in the dungeon context - obtaining information by way of sheer fictional positioning and free roleplay ("We open the door and look in" "We lift the lid of the chest" "How many goblins can we see through the peephole?") - become far less feasible. The players become far more dependent on the GM to dispense information (eg in the form of rumours; encounters and interactions with various city inhabitants; etc). Call of Cthulhu adventures, for instance, aren't puzzle-solving like classic D&D. They're much closer to the GM telling the players a story. (Which isn't necessarily a bad thing - I quite enjoy CoC one-shots with a good GM - but it's a different thing.)

Using an old map to journey through the dangerous Altan Tepes mountains is not similar enough to you to dungeon crawling (but on a much larger scale)?
Well, the point of the thread is (in part) to ask whether it is? If you think it is, tell me about it!

I find it a bit hard to imagine how it would work - it seems like the GM would map the mountains, then draw the "old map", then arrange for the PCs to find the old map, and then the players would delcare (as actions) that they follow the map - but maybe that's not what you have in mind. Eg maybe the map is the puzzle, and once it's been deciphered the actual journey through the mountains is a matter of a minute or two of narration.

pemerton

Legend
I see world-building in a variety of contexts, including a bunch of non-RPG contexts. Model villages, towns, cities by themselves or as part of a diorama. Fictional places where the peoples, cultures, politics, architecture etc may be explored in a variety of detail levels. One element of fantasy and science fiction stories is the world-building.
These are extremely different things.

A model railroad is a physical artefact. I can "explore" it by looking at it, noticing the intricacies of the track network, seeing if there are configurations of signals and vehicle movements that will engender collisions, etc.

But a fantasy or sci-fi story is not a physical artefact (the book itself is, obviously, but the story is not the book - it's the abstract object "encoded" by the words which are physically expressed by the type in the book). And I can't "explore" it other than by reading it, or having it read to me.

In RPGing, the players don't (generally) just sit down and read a book (be it a novel, or a fictional encyclopedia) written by the GM. There is a back-and-forth of conversation, and at certain points the GM tells the players stuff about the setting. In many games, some of that stuff is read by the GM from notes (or recited from memory; that difference isn't important at present, I don't think).

Also, in many circumstances, when the players canvass or declare actions for their PCs, the GM will adjudicate by reference to those same notes - eg "We go to the shop to ask that guy we met there yesterday" "Sorry, when you get there you see the shop has been burned down" - the GM doesn't decied the shop has been burned down as an outcome of the action resolution (eg the player failed a "Talk to contact in shop" test) but rather has notes that say that, on such-and-such a day, or triggered by such-and-such an event, the shop will burn down.

That is an example of the GM using the fiction that s/he has prepared in advance to determine the outcome of a player action declaration.

In classic D&D, where the fiction in quetion is the dungeon map and key, these sorts of events give the players the information they need to help solve the puzzle ("I look behind the tapestry to see if there is a secret door there" - the GM consults notes, reples (with no check) "No, there's not"). But what do they do in non-puzzle solving play? Or in play in which the "puzzle" is not, in practical terms, solvable by the players.

(For more on that last point, see my reply just upthread to [MENTION=6688277]Sadras[/MENTION].)

Remove ads