Do you want Greyhawk updated to 5e?

Do you want Greyhawk updated to 5e?

• Yes! Greyhawk should be updated to the current edition.

Votes: 92 56.4%
  • No! That sounds like a terrible idea.

Votes: 40 24.5%
  • I refuse to answer polls that value my opinion.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other (will explain the comments why I can't answer yes or no to a yes or no question)

Votes: 24 14.7%

• Poll closed .

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Ideally, yes. I'd like to see a player's introduction to Greyhawk along the lines of Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron. On the other hand, I'm afraid they'll screw things up. I'd love to see more of the GH-specific monsters, spells, & magic items, though.

In my mind, Greyhawk is the ur-DIY setting, especially for the swords & sorcery (as opposed to High Fantasy) crowd. What made the setting great at the time is that it didn't provide answers- it provided hooks.

Which is why DMs went out and bought City State of the Invincible Overlord instead. They wanted something that would save them work, not generate more.

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
What setting specific archetypes do you think it needs?

Off the top of my head without my Greyhawk material in front of me, I don't know. I'm sure someone who actually works on D&D for a living could think of some that are appropriate. Let see... a monk Archetype for the Scarlet Brotherhood might appeal to some players. Knight of the Great Kingdom for Paladins (or Fighters). Stuff like that.

AriochQ

Adventurer
I would love to have Greyhawk converted to 5e, but not updated. What I mean, just give me 5e stats for the original boxed set and provide more details where applicable.

What I don't want is world shattering cataclysms. It really makes no sense to me why they do that to any setting. Realistically, if I have used a setting for a starting off point to a long running campaign, by the time they 'update' the setting by adding world changing events, my campaign has likely already diverged from the canon. It will almost positively diverged from any changes they make. That makes the updates useless to me in most cases.

As the OP said, the original Greyhawk was adventure hook heaven. From the demi-humans in the Pomarj, the Great Kingdom politics, Circle of Eight machinations, or a ton of other options, you could adventure a lifetime in the original setting and never run out of material.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
From what I understand of Groghawk, wouldn't a detailed hardcover setting book kind of go against the idea of the setting altogether?

Like, it was the original Points of Light setting. I kind of got the sense that that, apart from the overall tone, was what really set it apart from FR, which is very much not an undiscovered world of mysteries.

Quartz

Hero
I would pay good money for a comprehensive compilation of Greyhawk lore. Every little tidbit of Greyhawk information from every single module, Dragon article, Dungeon adventure, and so on. All compiled, cross-referenced, and organised and worked together. For example, perhaps the Torhoon were the same species as the Demogorgon-worshipping reptilians in that Dungeon adventure with the Death Knight and the great apes. There must be more than enough to fill a book at least double the length of the Greyhawk Gazetteer. It's no big deal if Greyhawk doesn't have tieflings or dragonborn, though I'd put the latter to the west of the Sea of Dust - there's a reason the Suel and Baklunish migrated east! Don't update the setting; codify it.

I'd love 5E Greyhawk setting just seeing Anna B Meyer's Map of the Flanaess 2019 Edition the other day got me all excited!
Her Greyhawk map is amazing! I stumbled across the earlier version a few years ago, amd was stunned by the quality. I'd love if she, or, more likely, someone else with such dedication, would do similar maps for other settings!

Remove ads