D&D 5E Why the Druid Metal Restriction is Poorly Implemented

5ekyu

Hero
Yep. The halfling rule still works completely differently from the druid "rule." One says halflings only have a walking speed and shows them built like small humans, physically incapable of flight. The other fails to say anything about druids physically being unable to put on metal armor. There is no explanation in 1e, 2e, 3e or 5e that says why druids don't wear metal armor, except for how it affects their magical abilities(1e and 3e). If you can point me to something that says that druids are physically incapable of putting on metal armor, your equivalence will cease to be false. Can you show that to me?

You do understand that "won't wear" means it's a choice they make, right?
I do realize that when the player agreed to play in a game where the rule was druids wont wear metal armor then yes, that was a choice they made.

If they preferred to play in a game where the rule was "druids will wear whatever armor they care to, they should play in those.

See how that works?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I do realize that when the player agreed to play in a game where the rule was druids wont wear metal armor then yes, that was a choice they made.

First, there is no such rule. It's a fluff comment and nothing more. Second, says who? I've never sat down and said to the DM, "My character will never go back on what he believes in." I've also never played under a tyrant DM who demands that my characters don't go back on what they believe in.

If you want to be a tyrant who won't let a PC change his mind about something, go ahead.

See how that works?

lingual

Adventurer
So if a DM says NO to a druid wearing full plate, he's a tyrant? It's obviously against the spirit of the game to have druids wear full plate.

If someone wants their druids to wear full pkate and carry machine guns in their game, fine i dont care.

Just getting a hissy fit about "player agency" and "tyrany" is sort of childish. Like you would actually be so offended if your DM penalized you for wearing full plate that u would accuse them of being a dictator and rage quit?

Sacrosanct

Legend
Never seen someone go against their beliefs before? I have. It's really common.

Tyrants don't keep players long.

This False Equivalence again? Those ships cannot move that far. It's not possible. Druids are capable of putting on metal armor. It is possible.

A DM following the rules is a tyrant?

Just when I thought your argument couldn’t get any more ridiculous. Hey, shine on, there’s no point in me even trying to have this discussion if that’s your position.

5ekyu

Hero
First, there is no such rule. It's a fluff comment and nothing more. Second, says who? I've never sat down and said to the DM, "My character will never go back on what he believes in." I've also never played under a tyrant DM who demands that my characters don't go back on what they believe in.

If you want to be a tyrant who won't let a PC change his mind about something, go ahead.

See how that works?
Ok, so, hey, I doubt we are ever going to get anywhere if you insist on saying that the druid 5e armor proficiency listing is not a rule..

You can decide to treat it as fluff in your games, that's fine.
So, if that's the basis of your position, then, we are literally reading different books and have no basis for further discussion on that.

As for your imaginary tyrant... I never tell my players their characters cannot ho back on or change what they believe. I do tell my players the mechanisms by which we as a group can change the rules we agreed to play by and I do expect them to abide by those, not just to decide a rule doesnt apply to them (the player) any more. So, if one of those rules is "druids will not wear metal armor" and a player decides in play to just stop following it, it's the **player** going back on what they agreed to that is the problem.

But hey, maybe you consider table rules just fluff too?

That would seem to be not necessarily dependent on the rulebook itself.

So, hey, you have a great day in whatever ruleset you are using.

5e duids don't get anything better than what clerics get, and 5e clerics can wear half plate at least.
AC isn't the be-all end-all of the combat pillar. 5e Druids beat the pants of the cleric in terms of battlefield control, summoning. They are generally better at blasting (aside for cantrip-level damage; druid attack cantrips are notably behind the curve even discounting domain bonuses) and of all things, healing efficiency. Aside from the combat pillar, they have significantly better utility as well.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
So if a DM says NO to a druid wearing full plate, he's a tyrant? It's obviously against the spirit of the game to have druids wear full plate.

It's against the spirit of the game for a druid to wear full plate long enough to sneak into a castle? I don't think so. The game has always been about ingenuity. That action is entirely within the spirit of the game.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
AC isn't the be-all end-all of the combat pillar. 5e Druids beat the pants of the cleric in terms of battlefield control, summoning. They are generally better at blasting (aside for cantrip-level damage; druid attack cantrips are notably behind the curve even discounting domain bonuses) and of all things, healing efficiency. Aside from the combat pillar, they have significantly better utility as well.

What armor you use in 5e is almost entirely irrelevant. The difference between the max AC of studded leather and plate is 1 point of AC, and the plate wearer gets disadvantage on stealth.

lingual

Adventurer
It's against the spirit of the game for a druid to wear full plate long enough to sneak into a castle? I don't think so. The game has always been about ingenuity. That action is entirely within the spirit of the game.

LOL

Are u serious? I suppose that would be ok with me. Just no druid powers while you're wearing it.

"But the rulebook says nothing bad happens if i wear full plate! You are a tyrant! I rage quit!"

Dont let the door hit you on the way out.

Remove ads