Let Your Geek Flag Fly?

Samloyal23

Adventurer
Geeks need an actual flag, let's design one. I think we need logos for different types of geeks and nerds to put on a flag. Any ideas?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
How many different kinds of geek ARE there? How many can be symbolized with a smallish icon?

I mean, gamers could be represented by a d20, but what about tech geeks? Fans of sci if? CosPlayers? Furries?

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
A good flag can be recognized from a distance, has a symbol that somehow evokes something about the place, and uses contrasting colors.

Covering the flag in small print - words or symbols - is contra-indicated.

Zardnaar

Legend
A good flag can be recognized from a distance, has a symbol that somehow evokes something about the place, and uses contrasting colors.

Covering the flag in small print - words or symbols - is contra-indicated.

There are websites that rate them. Japan usually scores highly, distinctive, a child could draw it, not found to be mistaken for another flag at a distance, 2 colours, basic geometric shape.

Negatives in flags.
Writing
Black flags (a bar is ok)
To many stars (more than 4)
To many colours (4+)
Complicated geometric shapes
Weapons
Another countries flag on it (Example union hack on numerous countries)

Zardnaar

Legend
What's wrong with the Jolly Roger??

Hey now! Over here in the USA we have 50 states atm. If we were to leave somebody off there'd be a lot of bitching & crying....

Black has negative associations in a lot of cultures. Notice not many countries have black flags. I'm not sure if any do.

USA isn't a great flag IMHO neither is mine.

Government here spent 20 something million here for a new flag idea. The final 4 were arguably worse so we kept the current one.

Last edited:

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Black has negative associations in a lot of cultures. Notice not many countries have black flags. I'm not sure if any do.

USA isn't a great flag IMHO neither is mine.

Government here spent 20 something million here for a new flag idea. The final 4 were arguably worse so we kept the current one.
The silver fern does not make for a good national flag. It also didn't help that 3 of the 4 chosen were essentially the same flag, they were trying for a brand not a national flag. A 5th option was shoe-horned in at the end as well but we still chose to keep the current flag.

Remove ads