Anyone check out Radiance RPG yet?

VanceMadrox

First Post
The panoply of races is meant to provide options. GMs can specify a small set of races as typical to give an old-school feel or a tech feel (warmech, slith, etc), then by all means...

I figured that was the case.

Do all the races have a plac ein the default setting?

If so that must be one crowded world.

AncientSpirits

First Post
I figured that was the case.

Do all the races have a plac ein the default setting?

If so that must be one crowded world.

An answer is complicated...

All of the races have a place OR a time OR a world in the default setting.

In the "now", akin to 1912 IRL, most people are human, though there are other lands over the ocean with hobgoblins, slith, and a few other races here and there that occupy niches.

In the far future, there are other races more in abundance due to medicants tinkering with biological forms and/or people from other worlds.

The world's timeline is organized as a loop. In the distant future, an ark is sent into the far past. The ark was/will be manned by the 5 major races (human, atlan, elf, hobgoblin, and slith). Later, the atlans raise a whole empire, and are decimated. The elves are not big on procreation but they stake their places.

Also, though other races will be created in the future, or come from other worlds, a few figure out how to use the temporal vortex created by the same folks who build the ark. Among those folks, some villages and eventually larger communities survive and spread, albeit never enough to outshine humans.

That's the short answer...

VanceMadrox

First Post
Interesting take, I'm curious to learn more about the world though if I get around to running it I'll probably keep the world more D&Dish at first.

So what about the other question I asked earlier.
Why does CON affect Vitality and not wounds?

AncientSpirits

First Post
So what about the other question I asked earlier.
Why does CON affect Vitality and not wounds?

Con affects wounds in terms of number of negative hit points a character can go to as well as stabilizing from bleeding. I also wanted something to boost vitality a small amount, and from a body-mind perspective, stamina and vitality (in the everyday meanings of the words) as related. That is, a healthy body adds positively to one's spirits.

VanceMadrox

First Post
Ok I was just curious since CON is physical toughness which seems like it should affect Wounds directly. I guess being able to go lower in negative HP counts.

May have more questions later but that's all for now.

One other Praise though, I LOVE the way you do encumbrance.

VanceMadrox

First Post
Ok I thought of a few more questions, once again fairly random.

For the fighter ability Powerful blow do you deciide to use it before or after the atatck roll?

Psion as an available multiclass for Dwarves? That one seems odd, any real reason behind it?

I don't think you answered it earlier, if a character has used their 20 years to gain experience can they still become townies/alders/patrons?

I just got around to buying the Master's Guide and had a question on Monsters as PCs.

Using Orcs as an example. Orcs are level 3. I assume they could level up from there by taking PC classes. When they gain a 1st class level I assume they would just gain the Core abilities of the class and not the normal abilities for level 4 (ala multiclassing). From thereafter could they just follow the normal chart?

Again question on Orcs. Orcs get proficiency with firearms. If you don't want firearms in the setting would switching that out for any other weapon group be equivalent?

BTW Weapon groups is another aspect I love.

AncientSpirits

First Post
Ok I thought of a few more questions, once again fairly random.

For the fighter ability Powerful blow do you deciide to use it before or after the atatck roll?

For all abilities that modify an attack, you apply it after you've made the attack roll but before you learn the result of that roll.

Psion as an available multiclass for Dwarves? That one seems odd, any real reason behind it?

One word: Duergar.
Rather than describing duergar as an evil offshoot of dwarves, I describe them as an ancient ancestor who was psionic. Also, there is a fair amount of aberration activity in Radiance and among the races, dwarves lent themselves better than some other races, who already had their niches (gnomes and tech, etc).

I don't think you answered it earlier, if a character has used their 20 years to gain experience can they still become townies/alders/patrons?

Technically, the 20 year limit is to "gain experience". Since adding a townie profession doesn't involve earning experience points, and in light of the trope of the retired adventurer, then yes, PCs have a future after adventuring and can also take breaks to develop a profession before starting again. Ultimately, that means the 20 year limit is very generous (and we mortal humanoids are quite exceptional!)

I just got around to buying the Master's Guide and had a question on Monsters as PCs.

Using Orcs as an example. Orcs are level 3. I assume they could level up from there by taking PC classes. When they gain a 1st class level I assume they would just gain the Core abilities of the class and not the normal abilities for level 4 (ala multiclassing). From thereafter could they just follow the normal chart?

Again question on Orcs. Orcs get proficiency with firearms. If you don't want firearms in the setting would switching that out for any other weapon group be equivalent?

Yes, just as you say, described on page 31 of the Masters Guide under multiclassing, in the last paragraph of that section.

Swapping out one weapon group for another is entirely appropriate as suited to a campaign setting.

BTW Weapon groups is another aspect I love.

:)

VanceMadrox

First Post
OK I am going to do something now I've done before in other systems, I am going to build a sample character for all to see and stat him out at various levels.

Jonathon Smithson, Level 0 Special.
Jonathon Smithson was born the 2nd son of a prominent Blacksmith in a large town. While he dutifully learned the craft from his father a Blacksmith's life was not enough for Jonathon. He dabbled in other areas and desired to go out and see more of the world. His Father knew Jonathon would eventually leave but convinced him to train with the local Guard in order to be better prepared.

Here is Jonathon at level 0, before he begins his training.

Jonathon Smithson, Level 0
NG Medium Human Male, Theme: Dilettante
Deity: Mithrais Faith Points: 0
Str: 16 Dex: 14 Con: 15 Int: 10 Wis: 12 Cha: 13 Com: 11
Saves: F: 13 R: 12 W: 11
Hit Points: W: 8 V: 3
Attack Bonus: +3 (+3 Str) Armor: None
Init: +2 (+2 Dex) Speed: 30 ft

Skills: Appraise +3, Craft +5, Streetwise +4, Warcraft +3

Abilities:
Racial:
Adaptable (Does not apply until 1st level)
Heroic Mien
Quick Learner: Craft

Awards:
Minor:
Skill Diversity (Dilettante): Appraise, Streetwise, Warcraft

Gear: None yet

Last edited:

VanceMadrox

First Post
After completing his training, Jonathon is now ready to go out into the world. His Father has gifted him with a nice sword and nice armor for his travels.

Jonathon Smithson, Level 1 Fighter
NG Medium Human Male, Theme: Dilettante
Deity: Mithrais Faith Points: 1
Str: 16 Dex: 14 Con: 15 Int: 10 Wis: 12 Cha: 13 Com: 11
Saves: F: 15 R: 12 W: 11
Hit Points: W: 8 V: 7
Attack Bonus: +3 Armor: DR 5, 6 vs 1 Opponent
Init: +2 (+2 Dex) Speed: 30 ft

Weapons & Armor: All groups

Attack:
Masterwork Bastard Sword (1 Handed) +5 (1d10 + 6)
Masterwork Bastard Sword (2 Handed) +4 (2d6 + 6)

Power Attack:
Masterwork Bastard Sword (1 Handed) +3 (1d10 + 11)
Masterwork Bastard Sword (2 Handed) +2 (2d6 + 11)

Rapid Attack:
Masterwork Bastard Sword (1 Handed) +3/+3 (1d10 + 6)
Masterwork Bastard Sword (2 Handed) +2/+2 (2d6 + 6)

Power Attack & Rapid Attack:
Masterwork Bastard Sword (1 Handed) +1 (1d10 + 11) / +3 (1d10 + 6)
Masterwork Bastard Sword (2 Handed) +0 (2d6 + 11) / +2 (2d6 + 6)

Skills: Appraise +3, Atheltics +5, Craft +5, Endurance +4, Handle Animal +3, Intimidate +5, Streetwise +4, Warcraft +5

Abilities:
Racial:
Adaptable: Basic Ability: Power Attack
Heroic Mien
Quick Learner: Craft
Army Skills
Human Inheritance

Core:
Combat Focus
Rapid Attack
Weapon Focus: Bastard Sword

Basic:
Power Attack (Granted by Adaptable)

Awards:
Minor:
Skill Diversity (Dilettante): Appraise, Streetwise, Warcraft

Encumbrance: 9 Slots

Gear: Masterwork Bastard Sword, Masterwork Chain Mail, Masterwork Buckler, Basic Pack, 37 GP

How's it look so far?

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases