D&D 5E Give Me Three Reasons To Play Greyhawk

DongMaster

First Post
1) You will be a part of a great online society with the other four playing the game
2) You finally have a solid reason to hate Forgotten Realms repeatedly
3) You will be able to brag about being hardcore, playing in the orginal RPG world and all

Nah, I like Greyhawk and would love to see something new placed there. :)

AgroWallace

First Post
1) Tradition - So many of the iconic names we associate with the game are alive (or undead) in this world. Greyhawk has history, a lot of it, and there is a wonderful synergy between the history of the world and the history of gaming. You can almost see the trends in D&D develop as you follow the history of the setting.
2) Information - There is a ton of official information out there on the world, but also some really high quality fan based material. It tends to be higher quality than the stuff I see for other settings, particularly the realms.
3) Complications - This may seem like a negative, but the very fact that there are controversies, contradictions and discrepancies in some of the Greyhawk lore actually makes it more fun. I had a fantastic campaign once based on an obscure thread of Greyhawk lore. The players had a blast figuring out what parts of the canon lore I was referring to and there were plenty of nice red herrings.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
1. The Greyhawk Folio (rereleased!) has enough information to give you a start and lots of gaps to fill in, making the Greyhawk you play your Greyhawk.

2. LOTS of the old school adventures are set there so there are plenty of examples of great sites to explore.

3. The forces of Good, Evil, and Neutrality all have representatives at work in campaign politics.

GameOgre

Adventurer
1) You will be a part of a great online society with the other four playing the game
2) You finally have a solid reason to hate Forgotten Realms repeatedly
3) You will be able to brag about being hardcore, playing in the orginal RPG world and all

Nah, I like Greyhawk and would love to see something new placed there. :)

Love some Greyhawk, but it is the second rpg world. Blackmoor being the actual first rpg game world.

Not trying to be a arse or anything. Greyhawk rocks, it's just the third time today someone has casually mentioned Greyhawk as the first and my inner game geek (who loves Blackmoor as well) made me post a reply. Now back to our regularly scheduled Greyhawk love feast!

Last edited:

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
1) More edge...for a setting that accommodates anything in D&D
2) More pulp...for a setting that accommodates anything in D&D
3) Best adventures...for any D&D setting

Sacrosanct

Legend
1. drag
2. n
3. drop

The biggest reason I have always loved Greyhawk is because you could pretty much drag and drop any adventure anywhere you wanted. Want White Plume Mountain in this range over here? Easy peasy. Want the hill giant fort in this map you hand drew yourself? No probs. I never got that feeling from any other campaign setting. Everything else, especially FR, seemed very set in an unmodifiable world.

AgroWallace

First Post
That's actually a really good point, and something I hadn't consciously identified before. Greyhawk somehow hit the right balance of development, so you have material to work with, while not being so overly described and detailed that you can't put your own stamp on it. Your point about FR being a bit of a straightjacket really strikes me as a good point. i don't' think its any mistake that the most popular novels set in the realms (Like the Shard series) actually take place off the map (though of course they've been incorporated since).
I'm not denigrating FR, the background development is impressive (if inconsistent - I guess I am dissing it a bit - though I've run games there as well). I just solidly agree that there needs to be a balance between development and openness, and that Greyhawk somehow achieved this better than any other setting in D&D that I've seen.

Hereticus

First Post
1) You decide it's what you and your players want to do.

2) You decide it's what you and your players want to do.

3) You decide it's what you and your players want to do.

If none of the three above reasons work for you, then do something else.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases