D&D 5E Yawning Portal monsters?

bleezy

First Post
Mike Mearls said that all of the old monsters from these 7 adventures will be updated to 5e. Does anyone know what monsters are missing from the MM?

I don't have access to any of the Yawning Portal adventures:
The Sunless Citadel
The Forge of Fury
The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan
Dead in Thay
White Plume Mountain
Against the Giants
Tomb of Horrors

Mike Mearls said that all of the old monsters from these 7 adventures will be updated to 5e. Does anyone know what monsters are missing from the MM?

I don't have access to any of the Yawning Portal adventures:
The Sunless Citadel
The Forge of Fury
The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan
Dead in Thay
White Plume Mountain
Against the Giants
Tomb of Horrors

I was wondering this myself, having only played White Plume Mountain way back in the day. I assume we'll see some giant variants in Against the Giants, which might make some of my elite giants obsolete...

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
Dead in Thay has a bestiary at the back, so it's fairly easy to go through:
Air Grue
Astral Deva
Aspect of Kazit Gul (legendary) (more of an NPC than a monster)
Choker
Darkenbeast
Deathlock Wight (spellcasting Wight)
Dread Warrior (undead)
Earth Grue
Elder Black Pudding
Fire Grue
Four-armed Gargoyle
A few giant animals (can't remember if all of them are in the MM -- Giant Centipede, for example)
Kraken Simulacrum

Sunless Citadel:
Thoqqua (elemental)

Forge of Fury:
Subterannean Lizard
Water Mephit

The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan:
Nereid
Werejaguar
Polyp
Amphisbaena
Mandrill
Nahual
Hyenodon

White Plume Mountain is the hardest to look through because it doesn't highlight monster names or include a bestiary (I had to go room-by-room, so this might not include everything):
Kelpie
Giant Crayfish
Giant Sea Lion

Last edited:

As my memory isn't what it used to be (it is the second thing to go, and I forgot the first), I looked them up on Wikipedia, but pretty much everything was in the MM. Probably mostly some specific NPC's.

bleezy

First Post
Wow, thanks Prakriti! It looks like Yawning Portal could have quite an extensive bestiary, depending on how literally they do they the conversions.

Wow, thanks Prakriti! It looks like Yawning Portal could have quite an extensive bestiary, depending on how literally they do they the conversions.

Might make it sort of a quasi-Monster Manual, a bit like Princes of the Apocalypse for elemental creatures. Tamoachan in particular looks like it'll have loads of interesting jungle monsters (good for the Grungs!) and Dead in Thay providing some high-level undead. Fun.

The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan:
Nereid

Wonder what they'll do with the encounter description of this one. It's cheesetastic and more than a little rapey.

Men are particularly vulnerable to this creature, for her naked form is poison to all men, and those looking at her will find themselves incapable of causing her harm. Her actions will appear to men as casual flirtations. Male characters’ only possible means of offense is to cast a charm monster upon this lovely. Men could sit and watch her antics all day, they are so graceful and enticing. Males have been known to attempt to pursue the nereid and seek her embrace. This, however, can meet with disastrous results for though her kiss brings sweet bliss it may also bring a watery doom. Each time a kiss is forced from a nereid (for she is loath to give them) the character must save versus breath weapons at -2 or drown instantly. If the character succeeds, he will experience the ultimate in pleasure; but if he fails, then his lungs will take fire, his throat will seize up, and a greyness will overtake his senses as the end comes

[MENTION=6855149]Prakriti[/MENTION]'s list makes me happy, although I think a few things like the astral deva and the Hyenodon have been absorbed into existing critters (deva and the giant hyena). Still, my players will Grue the day that some of these critters get statted up!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases