D&D 5E D&D Promises to Make the Game More Queer

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechaPilot

Explorer
Thanks for sharing. Very good stories. Probably the most fascinating is your skinhead story. That's pretty amazing especially on your part as well and I firmly believe it was the right thing to do. It may make a difference in his life at some point... or not. But at least it has a chance to.

For rather obvious reasons he and I haven't kept in touch, so I'll never know, but I hope it does.

The public displays of affection is a thing. There is a different reaction to hetero people and homo people doing it. Just curious. Are gay people bothered by hetero public displays of affection? I mean besides the full all out get a hotel room type stuff that other heterosexual people typically don't even tolerate?

Because there is a difference if homo people are not bothered by hetero displays of affection but hetero people are bothered by homo displays of affection then that double standard isn't really a double standard anymore. Oh sure if you try to frame it as hetero vs homo you may can make that point but it's not. It's about each groups comfort level with the other and that's where the differences lie.

Caveat & Full Disclosure:
I can't speak for all gays, naturally. Also, I am attracted mostly to women, but there have been a tiny handfull of guys I've seen in my life who I have considered attractive. So, take what I say with the knowledge that all people are different individuals (of course) and that my perspective might not be indicative of someone who is exclusively homosexual.

With that out of the way, I am not offended by heterosexual or homosexual displays of affection on the basis of the sexuality involved. I do find it distasteful when public displays of affection are taken too far, but that's not a sexuality thing.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
So, it's pretty much true that heterosexual people almost never make, say, Facebook posts specifically announcing that they're heterosexual or in a heterosexual relationship, or they don't go on public marches whose main purpose is to let everyone know, "I'm straight!" (Referencing Gay Pride marches.)

But the reason why many homosexual and bisexual people do do it is simple: they announce that they are not ashamed of their sexual orientation. This is the key difference.

When you're bi or gay, growing up the society around you subtly (or less subtly) teaches you that homosexuality is wrong, or at least kind of wrong (depends on your location). There are tons of adult homosexual men and women who hide their sexual orientation from other people because they carry that shame inside them. Heterosexual people don't -- or when was the last time you met a 30-year old man who couldn't tell his family, friends, and co-workers that they liked women, both sexually and romantically? Is it common for opposite sex couples to hide their relationship from family and colleagues in fear of rejection?

Homosexual and bisexual people go through a process of learning to accept their sexuality, and for many, part of that is telling people that they're gay/lesbian/bi. Straight people don't have to go through that (sometimes painful) process, because they're not ashamed of being heterosexual.

Right. There is a difference there. I'm glad we are finally getting to the differences and nuances of the sides instead of all this good for the goose good for the gander nonsense.

Gay's definitely have different motivations for announcing their gayness. As you mentioned they do it to announce they are not ashamed and so on. Straight people don't have that need as their never was any stigma on them for being straight. I get that.

But the flip side is that there's a relatively large segment of the population that doesn't understand why they do it and that probably plays a large part in them finding it offensive. Then there's also this "normalize it" push. Even if a person accepts that the reason you tell the world that you are gay is because you are not ashamed of being gay and that it's for personal reasons the gay person does that it still doesn't mean they are going to be comfortable with the idea of the gay lifestyle being normalized.

Call them bad people and bigots and so on. That doesn't change their comfortablity level. Instead it makes it feel like a hostile takeover is being mounted where a gay persons comfortableness is more important than their own.

Last edited:

FrogReaver

There is a point I made and this isn't it.

The point is where your mind is at. You could just have easily made your point with a different group. But when someone said "hey this group should be included!" you jumped to "what about white-supremacist gay-hating groups!" in a discussion about including gay people.

That says worlds about where your mind is.

Yep, can't deal with the message try to fault the messenger... LOL

Caliban

Rules Monkey
I mean if you are stooping to the point of declaring that hitting on a girl is announcing your heterosexuality to the world then maybe. But even that isn't announcing your heterosexuality to the world, it's announcing your interest to a potential partner.

The specific scenario in question, which you have conveniently ignored, was hitting on a girl in front of a group of male friends. THAT is announcing to them (and the world in general) that "Hey, I'm a heterosexual!"

If you are talking about bragging to other heterosexual males about girls then please remember that this is typically done in the confines of a group that are friends and are heterosexual males themselves. As noted, that kind of bragging typically ceases when a heterosexual girl walks up because it's known they would find such talk offensive.

And I told you that I have in fact seen them NOT stop it, but start hitting on the girls who walked up. You may have lead a sheltered life, but it does happen. I've seen it with my own eyes.

And even without adding the girl to the scenario - even you admit they are making a point of announcing their heterosexuality to their male friends (usually to confirm they aren't gay and thus won't be ostracized). That they may stop when a girl walks up doesn't change that.

So what other cases do you have where a straight guy tells the world he is straight?

There are many, but I'm sure you will find ways to pretend they don't qualify. Because "hitting on a girl is hitting on a girl" and apparently has no relation to your sexuality in your world.

Not sure if you are actually this sheltered and ignorant of human social mores, or just hardcore trolling. Either way, I have better things to do with my time. (Like go play D&D...)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
it still doesn't mean they are going to be comfortable with the idea of the gay lifestyle being normalized.

It's not a "gay lifestyle". It's a major part of somebody's identity, like being a man is, or a person of colour.

FrogReaver

For rather obvious reasons he and I haven't kept in touch, so I'll never know, but I hope it does.

Caveat & Full Disclosure:
I can't speak for all gays, naturally. Also, I am attracted mostly to women, but there have been a tiny handfull of guys I've seen in my life who I have considered attractive. So, take what I say with the knowledge that all people are different individuals (of course) and that my perspective might not be indicative of someone who is exclusively homosexual.

With that out of the way, I am not offended by heterosexual or homosexual displays of affection on the basis of the sexuality involved. I do find it distasteful when public displays of affection are taken too far, but that's not a sexuality thing.

Right. Now what if I was to say that many hetero people are not comfortable with homo public displays of affection. Is the best reaction, we exist and are the same so we don't care get over it. Or is the better reaction something else? Something closer to how you handled the skinhead in your d&d group?

FrogReaver

It's not a "gay lifestyle". It's a major part of somebody's identity, like being a man is, or a person of colour.

Didn't mean to offend with my choice of the world "lifestyle". I didn't have a much better word there. I think it can be described as a lifestyle though, but there probably is a better word. Any suggestions?

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Honestly I just don't get gay pride parades. Are they for promoting an end to sexual orientation stigma, or they just "We're gay and proud"?

Because the former is a cause I support, but the latter is an example of "Good for you, stop waving it in my face."

I understand "coming out" to family and friends, but total strangers?

Of course if it's the former then... well I can't think of any other examples of that behaviour.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Maybe that goes down in certain neighborhoods of US cities but that would be outrageous behavior here. If I saw that the first thing I would think is the guy is mentally ill. In fact I think it's illegal...ah, it is if he follows her or if she feels unsafe as a result of the catcalling.

That was a more extreme example, obviously there are lines you shouldn't cross. But it does happen. And is condoned in many circumstances even when it shouldn't be.

And don't think it's just US cities where this happens. Thinking it doesn't happen in your country just because you don't see it in your social circles is probably a mistake.

FrogReaver

The specific scenario in question, which you have conveniently ignored, was hitting on a girl in front of a group of male friends. THAT is announcing to them (and the world in general) that "Hey, I'm a heterosexual!"

And I told you that I have in fact seen them NOT stop it, but start hitting on the girls who walked up. You may have lead a sheltered life, but it does happen. I've seen it with my own eyes.

And even without adding the girl to the scenario - even you admit they are making a point of announcing their heterosexuality to their male friends (usually to confirm they aren't gay and thus won't be ostracized). That they may stop when a girl walks up doesn't change that.

There are many, but I'm sure you will find ways to pretend they don't qualify. Because "hitting on a girl is hitting on a girl" and apparently has no relation to your sexuality in your world.

Not sure if you are actually this sheltered and ignorant of human social mores, or just hardcore trolling. Either way, I have better things to do with my time. (Like go play D&D...)

Have fun with your d&d. If you wanna continue discussing feel free to mention me and your points in a new post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads