D&D 5E BECMI for 5e?

dave2008

Legend
This thread gives me an idea for a Basic Rules game. Use only hill dwarves, high elves, lightfoot halflings, and standard humans. Humans can be any of life cleric, champion fighter, thief rogue, or evocation wizard. Dwarves and halflings can only be champion fighters. And elves can only be eldritch knight fighters. I think that would go a long way towards emulating a B/X style game.

Shouldn't halflings be rogues in this scenario?

EDIT: I don't remember how they were treated in BECMI, but that just seems to be the genre influence.

Last edited:

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
Shouldn't halflings be rogues in this scenario?

EDIT: I don't remember how they were treated in BECMI, but that just seems to be the genre influence.

Halflings in Moldvay Basic (B/X) progress as fighters. I’m pretty sure Mentzer (BECMI) is the same. The only differences of which I’m aware between the halfling and the human fighter (besides being limited to level 8) are that halflings get a bonus to ranged attacks and a better chance of being stealthy, but I think those are both taken care of in 5th Ed. by the halfling’s DEX bonus and Naturally Stealthy.

Geoff Thirlwell

Adventurer
I was toying with a similar idea. Rather than converting 1e adventures into 5e I’m going to convert the races and classes into 5e. That way you could use the 1e Monster Manual and play the adventures as written with just reversing the AC.
My plan is the run the original Dragonlance adventures like this. Raistlin and co would feel entirely wrong if using 5e straight

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases