D&D 5E How to remove spell slot from warlocks?

A couple of the NPC warlocks have 4e-style transformation abilities. Instead of transforming into a lot of different things like the druid, it turns into one thing that gets stronger as the warlock levels up. There are no shortage of fiends, abberations (for the GOOlock), and maybe a yeth hound for the feylock that the forms could be based on...

I would base the damage on the barbarian (but using cha instead of strength ala the hexblade). Invocations for out of combat abilities make up for the nontransformed warlock being squishier then the non-raging barbarian (maybe make the transformation take an action).

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
OK, what if instead of removing the warlock spellcasting, I went with a warlock with the same spell progression and casting mechanic as other casters? I would only require to remove Arcanum and add something else.

This would:
- Remove short rest dependency on a caster
- Partially remove the paralysis that comes with few high-level spell slots (at my table, YMMV)

Tales and Chronicles

OK. New option: full casting warlock (based on the bard template)

1: Spellcasting, Patron
2: Invocation
3: Boon
4: ASI
5: -
6: Patron feature
7: -
8: ASI
9: Perilous Bargain (1/use): Next roll is a nat 20, but disadvantage on all rolls till fail one roll. 1/ short rest.
10: Patron feature
11: -
12: ASI
13: Unspeakable bond: as a reaction when damaged, transfer damage to a willing ally within 15'. Ally Has advantage on next roll on its turn.
14: Patron feature
15: -
16: ASI
17: -
18: Sacrificial Casting: Can pay spellslot with HP (3x slot level, max level 5), reduce current and max hp till long rest. Every use after first increase the cost per 5 hp.
19: ASI
20: Eternal Agent: need 4 failed saves to die. If you die, roll a d20. On a 10 or higher, you discorporate with 0 hit points, instead of dying, and you fall unconscious. You and your gear disappear. You appear at a spot of your choice 1d3 days later on the plane of existence where you died, with full health but 3 levels of exhaustion.

Last edited:

akr71

Hero
Off the top of my head, I would take some of the warlock only spells (Agathys, Hadar, etc) and turn them into 'once per short rest' Invocations. You could do this with a lot of spells really.

Would you have these Invocations get more powerful as the warlock advanced in levels (as if casting with a higher slot)?

Tales and Chronicles

Off the top of my head, I would take some of the warlock only spells (Agathys, Hadar, etc) and turn them into 'once per short rest' Invocations. You could do this with a lot of spells really.

Would you have these Invocations get more powerful as the warlock advanced in levels (as if casting with a higher slot)?

That's the problem with my idea of an ''at-will'' warlock. If you start to add a bunch of invocations that add 1/sr or 1/lr spells, you just recreated a spellcaster with many different timers and you are back square one. Its even worse when you think about it: you double the number of invocations, only to have them replicate what the warlock already did with spell slots!

That's why I think its better to go all the way in the other direction: make warlocks use the same spellcasting table as the other casters.

akr71

Hero
[MENTION=6871653]vincegetorix[/MENTION] I think your original idea of removing spell slots from the warlock has merit and would be a refreshing twist on the 'caster' It just might need some fine tuning to get it 'play-ready'

Remove ads